Carb Intake Question (calm down)

Options
Brizoeller
Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
Ok so I am trying to lower my carb intake, not a ton, not going low carb, but I constantly go over in my macros every day. I was wondering if I should have it set to the 40, 30, 30....or move my carbs to 30% or lower. Just if anyone has any ideas what a "good" amount of carbs is per day. 50 grams? 60 grams? etc. I am 5'3 and 139. Only want to lose about 9 more pounds. And it isn't even a ton about the losing weight, I know that will happen in time, it is more the fact that i feel like i eat a TON of carbs!

*Note- I don't need anyone to reply with telling me Paleo is the way to go and if I eat grains I will develop cancer and die. I don't believe you. My grandma eats grains, she is alive and kicking, and 80. So we can bypass all that nonsense :)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's something that everyone needs to find out what level works best for them. Try lowering it by 30 or 40 per week until you see the results.

For me, I try to stay about 100g per day, though I'm not rigidly strict about that, and anything up to 150g is fine.
  • CaraColleen
    CaraColleen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am doing P90X's fat shredder diet with 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats. I definitely don't stick to it all the time, but it is definitely helping! Good luck!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I have tops 45% carbs most of the time. I just end up eating more healthy fats and protein and fall short on carbs in the end. If you go lower, i suggest eating most in the morning since it will give you the most energy you need for the day. However lowering carbs alone won't help you lose more weight. Comes up to how many calories you're eating.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 30carb/30protein/40fat and I try to follow primal-not paleo.. Love my cheese. I just aim to keep it under 100 although I'll go over today thanks to my husband's bday cake. It's 80%/20% You aim to eat right 80% of the time and don't have a fit if you eat "real world" the other 20%.
    I'm 5 2 109lbs. I lost 10lbs without trying-just by lowering those carbs and increasing that protein.
    Good luck to you whatever you do...
  • Brizoeller
    Options
    I have tops 45% carbs most of the time. I just end up eating more healthy fats and protein and fall short on carbs in the end. If you go lower, i suggest eating most in the morning since it will give you the most energy you need for the day. However lowering carbs alone won't help you lose more weight. Comes up to how many calories you're eating.

I've been at this a while, I don't think lowering my amount of carbs will magically make me get to 130 lol. I'm a believer in that calories in calories out thing. BUT that being said, I do think if i lowered my carbs, i'd be forced to eat even more veggies and healthy protein.

I like the 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat idea. I may give that a try. Now must find ways to eat even more protein. Thanks for the good luck!!
  • Brizoeller
    Options
    I have mine set at 30carb/30protein/40fat and I try to follow primal-not paleo.. Love my cheese. I just aim to keep it under 100 although I'll go over today thanks to my husband's bday cake. It's 80%/20% You aim to eat right 80% of the time and don't have a fit if you eat "real world" the other 20%.
    I'm 5 2 109lbs. I lost 10lbs without trying-just by lowering those carbs and increasing that protein.
    Good luck to you whatever you do...

Thank you so much! And i'm with you, I love cheese. Of all kinds. I also love birthday cake, we will be having one this weekend as well :) Enjoy it and happy birthday to the Hubby!