Just curious, how do you guys feel about gastric bypass

Options

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking... being cut open and having a portion of your stomach removed/bypassed/constricted/stapled or otherwise mutilated should be a last resort. Too many possible complications that could endanger your health or even your life (and I've known 5 people who have had surgury... 2 of them had serious complications, one life altering)

Sadly, We live in a fast food, instant gratification society that focuses on the here and now and not the long term big picture. Nutrition, Counselling and Exercise is a far better combination treatment for obesity.

You have to go through an exhaustive screening process to be approved for WLS, including psychological analysis, working with a nutritionist, counseling, and an exercise program...in my case it was required for at least 6 months. Many surgeons mandate that patients lose a significant amount of weight before surgery to show that they're really committed. It's not about "instant gratification," believe me.

and yet some people who get it don't give a crap and get it for nothing. If they can lose weight BEFORE the surgery, if I were the doc, I'd say no, you can keep doing what you just did. That's just me.

Yes, that's just you. Look, you can have your opinion and that's fine. If you lose all the weight you want to lose and keep it off without the aid of WLS, that's wonderful and I sincerely hope you succeed.

Me, I lost the same 40-50 pounds many times over over the course of many years. At 46 I don't have a whole lot of time left to enjoy my health. The surgery was definitely a last ditch effort for me. I personally don't care what you think of me, but for the sake of your friend who got angry and called you a *****, please try to be supportive of her. She's doing what she thinks is best for her...be a friend, even if you don't agree with her.

LOL...how funny...they censor b.i.t.c.h. what is this, kindergarten?
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have said this on here before to each there own and if you had the surgeries or are getting them, I won't condone anyone for bettering themselves however they see fit... That being said my own personal beliefs on the matter are quite different... I feel that you are never to far gone to regain control of your life through therapy to get to the root of your additions ( in most of our cases it would be food), work with a Nutritionist to learn how to eat better, and get moving.... Now I can hear the naysayers "Well if your obese and you can't move than how can you possibly lose weight... Well let me tell you how, and it comes from my own personal experience.. At 560 lbs., 2 severely arthritic knee's, home bound the final 2 years before that AHA moment, unable to support my own weight for more than 30 seconds at a time, had a computer chair (well several cause I kept breaking the welds on them) I would literally roll myself from my recliner chair to the bathroom and kitchen, facing the reality of needing to lose 300 lbs. and finally going to the doctor and the first words out of his mouth was do you want surgery?? I told him no way, if I could not fix what was broke in my head then no surgery would sustain anything so he said that was fine, he had to ask because by law if anyone comes into his office over a BMI of 35, he has to ask... My BMI was 75.6.............. Fast forward 37 months and ALOT of hardwork I shed that 300+ lbs. and regained control of my life... Was it easy?? Absolutely not!! but when you hit rock bottom there is really nowhere to go but up... So my beliefs may be alittle different than some but having gone through what I have, no one can tell me doing it without surgery isn't an option cause I will be the voice of reason that Oh Yes it is...... Again though for those that feel it is their best option for whatever reason than I say do what is best for you just know the surgery is just a tool, it isn't going to change the fact you need to address why you became over weight in the first place and you have to change your lifestyle just like I did or we both can go right back to being obese... Just my 2 cents....

Inspiring :)

Agreed...Very Inspirational!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I never passed judgement on people who did it for health reasons. Just for the purpose of weight loss and nothing else, that's what I don't understand why someone would do it to themselves. So risky and it's not easy or a simple fix, you still have to watch your diet and portions and everything. So why not just do that without going under the knife?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Generally speaking... being cut open and having a portion of your stomach removed/bypassed/constricted/stapled or otherwise mutilated should be a last resort. Too many possible complications that could endanger your health or even your life (and I've known 5 people who have had surgury... 2 of them had serious complications, one life altering)

Sadly, We live in a fast food, instant gratification society that focuses on the here and now and not the long term big picture. Nutrition, Counselling and Exercise is a far better combination treatment for obesity.

You have to go through an exhaustive screening process to be approved for WLS, including psychological analysis, working with a nutritionist, counseling, and an exercise program...in my case it was required for at least 6 months. Many surgeons mandate that patients lose a significant amount of weight before surgery to show that they're really committed. It's not about "instant gratification," believe me.

Yes and no. If you have the money... you can have it done with minimal questions asked. One of the people I know who has had it done... did so abroad on a "medical vacation".

The Lapbanding process is widely available as is commercialized medicine.

Largely, the process you describe depends on the district in which you live and is subject to state\provincial medical boards.

Yes, those people who think they're doing it as a quick fix and don't commit to a total lifestyle change will fail. If they can pay out of pocket and find a crooked doc who will do it regardless of the patient's preparedness, oh well. Bariatric surgeons really depend on their patients' success to build their own reputations, but I suppose there are some out there where that's not the case.

The process I described is mandated by Tricare, the healthcare insurance giant that covers all military personnel and dependents. That's a lot of people...nationwide. Tricare is pretty strict, but so are most of the other insurance companies.

I honestly don't think people are running out and getting WLS on a whim as a quick fix, bypassing health insurance and forking out thousands of dollars for fun. A few, maybe, possibly, but it's not a trend.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I never passed judgement on people who did it for health reasons. Just for the purpose of weight loss and nothing else, that's what I don't understand why someone would do it to themselves. So risky and it's not easy or a simple fix, you still have to watch your diet and portions and everything. So why not just do that without going under the knife?

So you are basically saying that you ARE passing judgement on those people that YOU don't feel had an urgent enough medical need to have these procedures done, whether their doctor felt differently or not, but that they only lack willpower and should put on their big boy/girl panties and just do what ANYONE should be able to do? *sigh* OK. Thank you for clarifying, I appreciate that.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

But we are doing it for health reasons. Obesity is unhealthy, period. As I already said, I've lost the same 40-50 pounds several times...I can't do it anymore. I can't face yet another failure. I turned to surgery as a last resort. I didn't have any severe co-morbidities YET, but it was only a matter of time with the extra 120 lbs I was carrying around.

You keep saying "why would someone do this to themselves." Because we're desperate to be healthy and live normal lives. Why do you care, anyway?
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    If it's medically necessary, it's okay to proceed with it but if someone is just looking for an easy way out, then it's just laziness.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Look it is fine to say that you would never have the surgery for your own reasons. I take issue with you overstating and generalizing the "risks". Bariatric surgery is not a quick fix not is it an easy way out. Anyone who believes that is doomed to fail no matter what because fitness is never easy. I am concerned because people considering this life saving surgery might come here and be shamed into foregoing it because those who did it naturally make them feel like a lesser person for considering it.

People beat terminal diseases all the time without medical intervention or through homeopathic medicine, but no one should ever disconsider traditional medicine because of exceptions to the rule. Bariatric surgery when performed correctly, followed up on properly and seen in the right frame of mind is a life saving surgery that has the potential to help many people.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options

This is what I find sad about our society -- everything is commercialized. Even medical procedures and I have no doubt that these procedures are there for a reason, to be made as a personal choice by the recipient of said procedure and the doctor. That the person is willing to get started and change their life is *good*.

However, even as I write this, the "Lap band song" is now stuck in my head. And really, I think the crux of the issue is that our society trivializes a lot of things. "Let your new life begin..." insinuates that it's a magic solution, which clearly, from everyone who's commented who's had these procedures, they are nothing close to trivial. It's a choice to have a major operation and then work through the consequences of that -- both the good and the bad.

But in a society where you can load up on food, then sit in front of the TV watching a large woman shrink down to a skinny one while a hot model announcer is telling you "Just call 1-800-Get-Thin", it makes it seem like it's a magic solution, when it's not. And thus, people's perceptions are colored against what our media tells us.

Go get super sized at McDonalds! Swing by and get yourself a lap band! We even have a fun little jingle that will stick with you!

In none of the advertisements (and believe me, I've done no research, I'm speaking only from what I've seen on TV, which is probably the perception of a lot of people), does anyone say, "This is work. This is life changing. This is serious business, and you will sweat and cry your way through the trials of changing your life." Not that I'm not intelligent enough to know that, but it glamorizes something that shouldn't hide the work behind it. Instead, a catchy tune and amazing changes are flashed before the bedazzlement of an unsuspecting heavy person's eyes. I even had stars in my eyes, because regardless of what it *is*, the commercial makes it *look* so easy! And that, I believe, is the ultimate problem of pretty much a lot of things in our society.

This commentary has gone beyond the "neither here nor there" mark, but I will say that I'm impressed with anyone who's decided to change their life. Be it through surgery or through dieting or what. While I may not go the surgery route, I certainly don't look down on those who do. Because, in the end, everyone's target here is the same.

Though I sure do wish I could get that damn little jingle out of my head now... ;) That is, of course, effective advertising.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is dying from it right now... I say NO WAY!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

But we are doing it for health reasons. Obesity is unhealthy, period. As I already said, I've lost the same 40-50 pounds several times...I can't do it anymore. I can't face yet another failure. I turned to surgery as a last resort. I didn't have any severe co-morbidities YET, but it was only a matter of time with the extra 120 lbs I was carrying around.

You keep saying "why would someone do this to themselves." Because we're desperate to be healthy and live normal lives. Why do you care, anyway?

I don't care what others do. This was just a post out of curiosity to see other opinions about the subject.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you don't understand why people do it, you've obviously never been that desperate to lose weight. I was 40 and had never been able to control my hunger no matter what I did.

That sounds terrible! The days when I am overly hungry for no apparent reason really get to me, can't imagine feeling that way all the time.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yes I am rather shocked at the immense negativity toward a life saving operation. I think some of it stems from jealousy to be honest. I know before I had it, I rationalized not needing it or having it in many of the same ways. Meanwhile I was dying. For those who have lost hundreds of pounds naturally I applaud you but you are the exception to the rule and not everyone has the same will power you have. Instead of quoting unnamed studies about alcoholism to bariatric surgery how about cite the innumerable studies linking uncontrolled obesity to death.

Jealous of what? In a year I've lost 36kg/82lbs. I started with a BMI of 48 so I was elligable for it. My mum tried to talk me into it for years. But it wouldn't have worked. I had a work mate have it done about six months after I started. She's now lost more weight than me. She teases me about it. Yet got upset when I turned at lunch and said 'you're eating lunch the size of a dollar coin. I'm eating twice the lunch plus fruits and a snack chocolate bar. I don't throw up from eating this. You do.
    If you don't understand why people do it, you've obviously never been that desperate to lose weight

I had a BMI higher than a number of ppl here who said they had it. I 'tried everything' to lose weight. The month before I started I cried every night. I was suicidal. So how dare you judge me because you choose surgery?
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I think horror stories and epic failures from over 30 people qualifies as more than "a few" and more than half of those did NOT go through any "intensive" therapy or evaluation. Yes, that's the standard procedure, but not all surgeons are in it to help people.....particularly the surgeons in Mexico etc.

And THOSE are the people I'm taking issue with. The ones who DO view it as a quick fix, the ones who circumvent the necessary screening because they KNOW they'd never qualify, the ones who gain more weight just to reach the required weight/BMI.

If you did ALL of the above, changed your life, succeeded and did as you were instructed.....NONE of the negative comments, I don't believe, are directed at you.

And this will be wildly unpopular, but........yes, I DO believe most people do not give themselves enough credit or believe enough in themselves or what their capable of. Obesity is often caused by an addiction to food, and that addiction can be triggered by any number of things. We all have within us the capability to overcome addictions........I have an extremely addictive personality, but there's a point where each of us has to say "This isn't worth the risk anymore."

I was 250 pounds, 43 inch waist, 48 BMI, size 20 jeans and suffering from depression, anxiety, self loathing and a crumbling marriage. I got sick of it and did a complete 180. It was hard as hell and I actually DID, out of desperation, research and look into WLS.

In the end, I chose to do it on my own, with the help of friends and family and counseling. I lost 90 pounds, 15 inches off my waist, my BMI is now 23 (although I pretty much think BMI is a crock of *kitten*), I've run a half marathon and a marathon.......I also quit smoking, cold turkey, after a 20 year 2 pack a day habit. So yes, I understand cravings, I understand hunger pains and I understand feeling like you have no control over anything in your life. But......if you believe in yourself and really use your strength, determination and will power to it's fullest capacity.......I honestly believe that ANYONE is capable of making the same kinds of changes.
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Let's all check back here in 5 years and weigh in and compare. I believe statistically as much as 60% of the registered users here will have gained the weight they lost back plus some bonus poundage regardless of what their hopes and dreams were as the scale went down.

There's a lot of very gross generalizations being thrown around and a lot of "friend of a friend" stories.

Of COURSE the majority of comments here are going to be negative around weight loss surgery. That's not what this website is for.

Posts like these are just like the posts about breast versus bottle on parenting forums, or vegan versus omnivore on food forums. They are guaranteed to get a lot of panties in a wad and a lot of uneducated statements made. A better title for this post would have been "I think gastric bypass is stupid and I'm pretty sure you'll all agree with me."
  • MeltingCandlewax
    MeltingCandlewax Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello. In all honesty I only read a few of the posts, but here is my thoughts on it, I have known people who were extremely big and have had gastric bypass surgery, I also know people who have had gastric banding (lapband). One of the peeps who had gastric bypass lost a ton of weight in the begining, and couldnt eat much afterwards. At some point though they starteed eating slower but more, so they gained back some weight, or just stopped losing it. (but for the rest of thier life they have a smaller intestine and stomach) The lapband person lost a ton of weight after lapband like i think it was some 150 pounds, the thing with lapband is there is no cutting (very small scars) , but since it is like a rubber band kinda it can be filled with sailine ( i think it is) but can also be deflated. And if you dont like it or have a problem with it, it can be taken out. Honestly i see the advantages to both, but also the disadvantages.
    At one point I had looked into both options, I knew i never wanted to cut anything out of my body, if i didnt medically have to. so that kinda rules out gastric bypass. With lapband you have a port hidden by your stomach or something like that somewhere, thats how they fill it.
    When i looked into these options many years ago, my insurance wouldnt let me do it until i had tried for 6 months to lose weight, had to be a documented attempt. My thought was if I could lose a ton of weight in 6 months I wouldnt need the surgery.
    If you attempt and fail i guess they let you get it. I never quite got that far in the process. Mostly because I chickened out.

But back to what I was saying .....my thought is if i could lose the weight in 6 months to be able to even qualify for it, then I can surely do it on my own.
    I am not saying either one is good or bad, but they both have advantages and disadvantages, but before one considers the options really do your homework and check out all the procedures and read up them, one may find even if they have medical health issues that requires them or that they need to get the surgery, they really have to talk with people doing the surgery, cause the issues they have may not qualify them. (example something like possible kidney stones or chronic pancreatitus may rule them out).

So anyway here I am trying not just to lose weight but to really make a lifestyle change. I finally took like 25 years for me but finally had an aha moment to make we want to change my life for the better. I don't look at mfp as a diet, I use it for portion control. to keep me accountable. I manage to make it fit into mylifestyle and eat the things I enjoy eating, while staying my calorie budget. I still enjoy food but now instead of eating a wholeplate i realize i can eat another portion of the meal tommaorw, and the day after. Ps: My total weight loss goal is 108 pounds.

Just my 2 cents on the issue. Have a great day!
  • kmiskow
    kmiskow Posts: 24
    Options
    My sister did it in 2003 (gastric bypass). The outcome? She has gained back MOST of the weight. She had to have her gallbladder removed and hysterectomy, as well as 2 hernia surgeries not long after (coincidence?). She then became addicted to pain pills, then alcohol after she lost access to narcotics. She got 2 DUIs and lost her licence. She then lost her job and her ability to practice law in NC. Nope, don't recommend bypass. She also has BAD problems absorbing vitamins and is constantly anemic.

Don't forget the extra skin you are left with after losing 100+ lbs. Her health ins paid for the bypass, but would not cover the sagging skin as it was not causing enough infections to warrant it, but she couldn't wear a bathing suit or anything because the sagging skin was so bad.

When you have gastric surgery you are warned over and over to not drink alcohal. Mainly with the by pass, it can be leathal. I am so sorry about your sister but maybe her addiction to food was cross addicted to alcohal.
    We are all different people and have to live our individual lives. I am open to any questions, and discussions if they are based on human interest or learning. But the feel of this is not so. Before you judge and post an opinion, educate yourself on the facts. See what the process involves. I am not talking about lap band because my hospital (UCLA) does not approve of them and will not do them.
    I'm sorry to hear about that :( trying to do what she thought was right and it ended so badly. That's really too bad that happened to her. I can't say I'd blame the drinking and DUI's on a bypass, that's purely one's choice to drive drunk. Lucky she didn't kill herself or innocent bystanders or other drivers.

I did not blame it on the surgery, but clearly she has an addictive personality (addicted to food) and that transferred to narcotics and then alcohol. Most overweight people have addictive personalities and may have this issue.

I have a high school friend who also did it about 4 yrs ago. She lost over 100lbs and looked great, but has since gained most of it back.

To think it is a "quick fix" is wrong. It take commitment for life and change in habits.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    surgery or the lap band, just for the sole purpose of losing weight. Not because it's medically necessary, or you have health problems. I get that, if it's medically necessary. But why on earth put yourself through all that trouble just to lose weight?

My friend and I were talking earlier about a girl she's friends with who had 100 lbs to lose but no other health issues and got gastric bypass after having the lap band. WHY?! Why do doctors do this if it's not necessary? I myself and a woman who is 5'2 and I have a good 75-100 lbs to lose with a BMI of 41. I would never consider these surgeries. I know people who have had both and they end up saying it's more trouble than it's worth. Why can't you do it like everyone else? My friend who this conversation was with, has the lap band. She complains about it all the time, too, yet, she got offended because of my thoughts of the surgeries. She said I think it's easy when I KNOW that is not the case, which was my point, why put yourself through that?

Just curious what some other people might think on this topic. I am not aiming to offend anyone, honestly. This is just my personal opinion.

If the patient is healthy enough and has good insurance, the doctor will do it for the payday! Its sad but sometimes true
  • kmiskow
    kmiskow Posts: 24
    Options

How does it have anything to do with alcoholism? And yes, it is a choice. You pick up the bottle, that's your choice, no one else's. I've been there. I struggled with that, I can speak from experience. I drank a fifth of vodka every day for over a year. It was MY choice. I didn't look for an out. My father is an alcoholic, I didn't blame it on him. It was my choice and mine alone to start drinking. My choice to stop also. And as dumb as I was with my drinking, I NEVER not once, got behind the wheel. Bottom line-- it's a choice you make.
    [/quote]

SORRYT HE QUOTE THING DIDNT WORK SO WELL!!

As you know....for overweight people...food is our addiction, there's no buts or if's about it.. When you get the surgery, your body cannot take in all the food you are used to (in the beginning). Everyone getting the surgery should be very careful about shifting addictions. It happens all the time... now you are addicted to other things, shopping, alcoholism, working out. I've heard it all. It's like a smoker trying to quit and need something in his mouth. My own father picked up a lot of weight because he stopped smoking and turned to lollipops and sweet stuff. You are right, it is a choice. We all have choices but we also all make mistakes. THAT choice might have been out of desperation, a crutch to lean on because of no support. THAT is why we are all here. To get support in whatever choices it is that we make in our lives.

For everyone, it's their personal choice whether they are going to get surgery or not, it is not just a physical and medical journey, that gets you to the point where you just cannot take it anymore. It's an emotional journey as well, where you feel alone, looked upon, an outcast, depressed, suicidal, no selfesteem, no self worth, hopeless...

People do different things for different reasons, all we can do is support, support, support... Good luck to one and all whether you have a bit to lose or a lot! At least when I am here I know that I am NOT alone:flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

if you are going back to my sister who had gastric bypass and then became an alcoholic after narcotic addiction, I don't BLAME the surgery for it. But anyone who has weight issues has a tendency towards addictive personality and those who undergo surgery to lose weight need to be very AWARE of that and not trade addictions like my sister did.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have 100+ lbs to lose and will not have surgery. I don't dare say it's the easy way out because all the people who have had it will eat me alive so I will just say....it is my choice to not have it. But, whatever you need to do to get healthy, JUST DO IT!