Opinions on organic??

Options
Obviously I know that eating organic is better than not... but I guess my question is, what is ok to eat non-organic?
I always try to get my berries, bananas, and carrots organic. I honestly think they taste better. But what about everything else? I buy tons of "Amy's" stuff, but I'm just curious how important it is that it's organic. (I'd still buy it anyway because I think it's great), but I eat alot of other stuff that isn't. Opinions?

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I buy as much organic as I can...there are certain things that don't need to be purchased organic, like oranges, lemons/limes, avocados, mangoes...they have a tough skin on the fruit that will protect the flesh from absorbing the pesticides.

apparently you can also buy broccoli, cabbage and onions non-organic, supposedly the bugs don't like them so they don't need as many pesticides.

but if you don't buy organic, then you may also be buying GMO (genetically modified) foods.

personally, I noticed that organic foods like chicken, beef, fruits and veggies taste a lot better than the non-organic ones.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I prefer organic bananas too because I swear they taste better (much more banana-y) but all my family and friends think I'm crazy and it's all in my head lol. I've read that you should get organic fruits and veggies that you eat the skin of and don't peel (like berries, apples, leafy greens, etc...) I also read an article a few weeks ago (sorry I can't remember it) but it said that potatoes have one of the highest amounts of pesticides, even if you peel them, because they're grown in the ground and absorb the pesticides and other stuff. I try to buy organic fresh fruits and veggies when I can (unless they're way more expensive. I am an in-debt college student after all lol) and then everything else I don't even worry about. I like some of the Amy's brand foods, but I don't think it really matters if it's organic or not. That's just my opinion and not based on anything scientific though.