How to not buy a new wardrobe every few months?

Options
2»

Replies

• ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Dresses and tunics are great, because you can add a belt on top if you need to make them a little more form-fitting. I wore a lot of leggings and tunics and I still have a couple of cotton blazers I wear, either tied at the bottom or with a belt around them.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've started shopping at thrift and consignment stores to help bulk up my diminishing wardrobe. I've lost over 100 lbs total and went down from a 22/24 to a size 12. At first I just cinched my belt tighter, making new holes when necessary but once those clothes started looking absolutely terrible and way too big I decided to buy new stuff. I've also picked up some dresses and skirts thinking they will be ok when they are a bit too big. I also tend to wear a lot of basic tops, especially tank tops because those are cheap and can look good whether they are a little loose or a little tight. they also can be easily paired with sweatshirts/sweaters for another outfit.
    Try finding a thrift store like Buffalo Exchange where you can sell your old clothes that are too big. I think they give you more money for your stuff if you choose store credit instead of cash and then you can just recycle that cash into a new wardrobe!
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    Great topic! I have found stuff on clearance racks, garage sales, thrift stores and asking friends/family for hand me downs.

I definitely think it is worth buying a few pairs of staple pants that fit well (for me it was jeans, but whatever you wear to work/socially) so that you can show off your new body as you are dropping weight so you can continue to feel motivated about your progress! I tended to buy things a little tight so that I could get a little more wear out of them.

The best thing I did, was buy a few jeans in the "Junior" department from Kmart. They were very elastic-y and were a size 20. I've been able to shrink them (thanks to my husbands washing "skills") and keep wearing them even though I'm now wearing a size 14. They are a little long now though. Now it's a running conversation in my house at laundry time, "Do these pants need to be shrunk, or do they currently fit?" Very funny for my husband to be conscious of my wardrobe.

I also like having my workout clothes fit (especially pants), I just feel better about my progress when I can see it! I think it's worth the $10 every two months. After I consider all the money I've saved from the fast food I've not been eating, I can afford the new clothes!

Good luck!
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    I don't know what stores you have nearby for clothing but I will look in consignment shops before goodwill for dressy stuff. We have clearance or liquidation stores that I go look at if I'm away from home to a larger city. The rest I will either buy on sale or just basics with elastic waists or adjustable waists (LL Bean has pants that look good and can drop a full size without losing their look)
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    I also want to add, that I found it very important to buy a new bra every few months. A good one, for proper back support. Just get one in a neutral color you can wear everyday, and one for the gym. :)
  • Jenn09870
    Jenn09870 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have lost 95lbs so far an have gone down from a size 24 (or more) to a size 10/12.

Best things/most versatile pieces have been the stretch jersey knit maxi dresses. I have a few of these that fit me at my largest (they are size 2x but stretchy) and fit me tolerably well now. I am large busted and while they are a little baggy and not stretched at all, they are suitable for wearing in public.

I buy a good deal of work out clothing and jeans from thrift stores (if you take stuff in to donate at Goodwill and ask for a receipt you can use the receipt to claim the donation on your taxes and you can use the receipt that day for either 10 or 20% off your purchase- can't remember which).

I also splurge once every couple months and go to Burke's Outlet store and buy a new pair of Levi's for about $20. I supplement these with Goodwill jeans- I was amazed at the jeans I bought last time- my husband almost didn't believe i got them from the thrift store, they looked brand new.

I've also listed my plus-size clothing on Craigs List and actually gave people great deals and made enough to buy a new pair of running shoes.

There is also a store here called Ross- basically an outlet type store too- they have great prices on dresses.

My friend says buying the new wardrobe is supposed to be the "fun part" but I have parted with so many relatively new items that i really liked and looked good in- even though I was big. I don't want to invest in new clothes until I know I'll be keeping them.

Good Luck
  • AwesomeOne66
    AwesomeOne66 Posts: 220
    Options
    secondhand stores are my dirty little secret, ladies!!! we call them Op Shops in Australia. I go to every one I see...the ones in fancy areas are the best, great brands for next to nothing.

the other awesome thing I do is get together with a bunch of girlfriends and have a clothes swap party. we all bring whatever we don't want, doesn't fit, was never a good choice, etc. And then everyone just takes what they want home....all the rest of the stuff gets donated to the local op shop and everyone's happy!

Here's a tip...invite people of many shapes and sizes!!! At least you know, if you spent a few $ on something, one of your friends is going to love you for it!

Have fun!
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Find a friend that's trying to lose weight that's a size or 2 smaller than you and encourage them to lose ;-) But of course then you could have my problem, I've shrunk faster than her. And to top it off I have an autistic son that pulls on loose fabric so I can't wear clothes too big for too long. Secondhand doesn't work with him, so I've been keeping to Old Navy sales/clearance. Get the stuff I absolutely need and leave the tags on until I have to wear them. I've had to exchange pants 2x because I'd lost more weight before I went to wear them and they were too big. It's a wonderful problem to have!!
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I didn't have as much to lose, but I found that you can wear dresses longer than pants when you lose weight. Just belt them when they get loose!

This is actually what I was thinking I was going to do. Go out and buy some cheap dresses to wear every day and belt them as they get too large. It works out well that it's summer right now!!

OldNavy.com!! They have some realy great cotton/poly dresses 35 and under and a sale going right now!!
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores! :3
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I bought jeans with stretch while sizing down...basically any stretchy clothes. I also only have one pair of jeans (still) and one pair of shorts. Eventually you will just have to replace everything but yeah it can be frustrating. Just try to get basics that still look okay when they start to feel loose.
  • MissShancey
    MissShancey Posts: 464
    Options
    a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago oprah said not to buy new clothes when you are losing weight ... just go to the thrift store and get cheep stuff
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i wear a lot of dresses. you can get away with a lot with dresses. i like old navy as well.

i still have another 50 to lose. luckily i had a whole fleet of jeans in different sizes so i'm ok with those. tshirts i've had to replace (once again old navy for the win!). dress wise, i only wear wrap and sheath dresses and those are good styles to accommodate gradually shrinking bodies.

what's really getting me are SHOES! i've lost half a size