Have a hard time drinking my 8 glasses of water

Options
hey ! does anywone here have any advice on how I could drink more water ? I really have a hard time drinking the 8 recommended glasses per day. Plus I usually drink one cup of coffee a day (witch is dehydrating) so because of that, should I drink more than 8 glasses of water ? Also will drinking more water really help me loosing weight ? Thanks in advance. p.s I'm new to my fitness pal and love it already. People here show great support and motivation. Keep it up everybody :)

Replies

• MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've found that drinking water does help my weight loss, and it is really hard sometimes to drink enough in a day!
    One thing I do is put a little (about 50ml) fruit juice in w glass and then fill to the top with water which helps the water go down. Also, instead of trying to down full glasses you could try and fill a water bottle, carry it round everywhere with you and just take frequent sips - you might be surprised how much you get through that way!
  • caraguard
    caraguard Posts: 41
    Options
    I would suggest trying to keep water near you all day long. I sit at a desk all day Mon-Fri and after my morning cup of coffee, I just keep my 24 oz. water bottled on my desk, filled and easily within reach. I refill it about 3-4 times a day and make sure to choose water instead of tea or soda at lunch and at dinner. When I'm at home, I always keep a big cup of water next to me, and of course I always chug a bunch during and after workouts.

I've also heard that using a straw makes it easier for some people to take in more water. I don't know if drinking more water will really help you lose weight, but it certainly can't hurt. Whether you want to lose weight or not, water is important to your health no matter what.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I'm also new to MFP and loving it too!!
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Perrier
    Crystal Geyser sparkling mineral water
    Crystal light mixers
  • Kairunz
    Kairunz Posts: 51
    Options
    I struggle a bit too but I just keep my 1 litre bottle next to me and keep sipping all day, It helps with hunger and helps the body operate at a more optimum level. Other liquids have water in them and count towards your total but some like coffee don't and you have to account for the calories they contain as well.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It's a debunked myth that everyone needs 8 a day. Listen to your body. Look at your urine. It should be clear (not cloudy) and pale yellow.
  • Browneyedgirl140
    Browneyedgirl140 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had this problem. I use to have a water bottle by my desk all day. I couldn't even get through a whole water bottle at work. Then I switched to a camelbak bottle. It worked a little better. Now I am using one of those tumblers with a straw. Now, I can finally drink my 8 glasses of water a day. I like drinking it out of a straw and the glasses are cute. I find that it is by my side all day at work and at home. I have had to buy 3 so I can rotate them daily.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    While it may not be as refreshing, drinking room temperature water is easier to gulp down.

As soon as I wake up, I chug bottle of water. Gets 2 cups in right away.

Does it work for weight loss? Dunno. It fills you up. I've heard stories about a pint of water very first thing in the morning speeds up your metabolism, but I've also heard stories that you shouldn't drink any water 30 minutes before you eat because it screws your digestion. I take them all with a grain of salt. But personally, I know the more water I drink, the better I, umm, expel food in the morning, and I never feel bloated.
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I just heard the neatest idea for drinking more water the other day! Put some frozen fruit in your water!! You get to eat the fruit after your done!! Double bonus! Hope it helps! :smile:
  • nene01pop
    nene01pop Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Water is def not my fav neither... butgot some of the walmart brand pink lemonade and I think I got myself a treat... Used to drink the southern SWEEEET tea like there wasn't anything else... haven't had ANY in 30+ days.. and really don't miss it. Luke warm is easier for me too.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The UK National Health Service says:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx

The Department of Health recommends that we should drink about 1.2 litres of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. This works out to be about six 200ml or eight 150ml glasses, cups or mugs. In hotter climates, the body needs more water than this.
  • StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    In the morning, on your kitchen table or bring them to work, put out 5 or 6 16oz water bottles from like the grocery store that come in packs. I find this to be the only way I can remember by looking at how many more I have to go :)
  • eltangodelaur
    Options
    I have a hard time too, but find it easier to drink when I add add a mix to it. It's also easier to drink after a workout and you've been sweating, in those times I actually find myself craving water!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    diet soda, crystal light, tea, true lemon.

doesnt have to be plain water.
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ice and a straw, add the flavorings if it helps. I like Mio - can't do the Crystal Light because of aspartame, and I only use enough for a light flavor. Even better, get the green tea flavors with real tea.I drink out of a quart mason jar, which has gotten me some comments at work, mostly good - people think it's "neat". I only need to drink two and I am done!
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I add Mio to my water. It sure does help me drink more water. If I've been exercising I find myself wanting plain water. If you drink it with your meals also that seems to help me.
  • noiinteam
    noiinteam Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i bought a 16 oz insulated cup w/ straw... 4 per day. i can drink so much more through a straw. i drink decaf coffee and diet pepsi too. :drinker:
  • danimal97
    danimal97 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I put a little lime or lemon juice in mine...gives it just a hint of flavor.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I've been collecting a list of ways to drink more water or stay hydrated -- mostly for people who were having trouble drinking enough water. It's posted in my blog at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/water-265761
    Hope it helps! (Please give it a positive vote, if it's useful to you and feel free to add any suggestions.)
  • EZ4ME2LOVE
    Options
    That is exactly what I do..and it helps!
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It's a debunked myth that everyone needs 8 a day. Listen to your body. Look at your urine. It should be clear (not cloudy) and pale yellow.
    I don't know if it's a myth or not, but I definitely agree with the rest. Your body will know.

I've also found that a "cup" of water wasn't near as much as I'd previously assumed it was. I count my drinking glasses as 2x on MFP, actually.