bad breath

Options
Ok....has anyone else noticed their breath getting worse when they are losing weight?.... I hope this isn't just me. I've noticed any time I've been on a diet (and it's working) then my breath doesn't seem to stay fresh for long. :blushing:

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Ketosis maybe?
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing as DanaDark. What kind of diet are you on? Atkins and similar can cause ketosis which can cause bad breath.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm on a Paleo diet?.... just lean protein, vegetables and fruit. No breads or dairy.... What is Ketosis?
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm on a Paleo diet?.... just lean protein, vegetables and fruit. No breads or dairy.... What is Ketosis?

When your body doesn't get enough something or other and one of the side effects is rank n stank breath, it sounds like a version of Atkins which would explain your foulness.

Keep some mint or parsley in your pocket, it will help some but not too much since the problem is coming from in your gut and not just your mouth.
  • TXHunny84
    Options
    Oh lovely.... You'd think I'd be getting plenty of vitamins and minerals since I'm eating all healthy and not processed junk. grrr
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Atkins bad breath tends to smell like alcohol. Remember all those pilots that were arrested on suspicion of being drunk before flying a few years ago? Was this :-)
  • MeMyCatsandI
    Options
    Here's a link with some info on ketosis: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/whatisketosis.htm
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I noticed that my husband's breath improved greatly when he switched from the SAD (Standard American Diet) to a whole foods plant-based diet. It has been my favorite benefit of his. Although the fact that he lost 55 pounds and got off of his medications for high blood pressure, acid-reflux, and anxiety are nice benfits too.

Paleo and Atkins tend to cause bad breath.
  • goatfishtwo
    goatfishtwo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Very good decision on going Paleo! You are probably indeed experiencing ketosis breath. That is basically just additional acetone acid that ends up in your saliva. Some say its metallic taste, I mostly experience a more fruity taste.

To put it in a nutshell, ketosis is when your body has to use an alternative fuel source and it begins converting fatty acids into ketones to be used in cellular metabolism. In between meals your triglycerides in your adipose (fat) tissue are being broken down into fatty acids, pulled through the membrane, and used as energy.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Very good decision on going Paleo! You are probably indeed experiencing ketosis breath. That is basically just additional acetone acid that ends up in your saliva. Some say its metallic taste, I mostly experience a more fruity taste.

To put it in a nutshell, ketosis is when your body has to use an alternative fuel source and it begins converting fatty acids into ketones to be used in cellular metabolism. In between meals your triglycerides in your adipose (fat) tissue are being broken down into fatty acids, pulled through the membrane, and used as energy.

I don't do Paleo...but I intermittent fast every day, and I notice this as well. I immediately suspected ketosis, but I also wonder how long it takes to get into such a low carb state. My fasts last anywhere from 16hrs to 20hrs or so.
  • lisa86326
    lisa86326 Posts: 20
    Options
    DRINK WATER, WATER, WATER! WHEN YOU'RE DEHYDRATED YOUR BREATH CAN BE BAD!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    Options

I don't do Paleo...but I intermittent fast every day, and I notice this as well. I immediately suspected ketosis, but I also wonder how long it takes to get into such a low carb state. My fasts last anywhere from 16hrs to 20hrs or so.
    Funny. Now I'm starting to think about this. I've been worried about bad breath the past week or so. I've been blaming it on a few different things: coffee, a new flavor of MiO I just bought, etc. But maybe it's ketosis. I'm an IFer too. I don't eat until noon and even then I don't each much in the way of carbs because I'm wheat sensitive. But I just gave up wheat a few weeks ago. So maybe ketosis my problem too.:ohwell: Though I can't really put my finger on whether my breath seems metallic, fruity, or something else altogether. I actually bought breath mints today because I was worried about it.
  • goatfishtwo
    goatfishtwo Posts: 21 Member
    Options

If you're consuming below 100g of carbs a day you could be in a mild state of ketosis.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

If you're consuming below 100g of carbs a day you could be in a mild state of ketosis.

I eat more than 100g/carbs a day, sometimes much more. However, I have NO carbs for 16-20hrs/day. I've been very low carb before (less than 50g/day)...and I know the taste/feel of ketosis. This is the same really...more metallic if anything. Like pennies or quarters in my mouth. I also work outside in the Arizona sun 5 days a week...and wonder if that has an impact.

Oddly enough though, my fasted workouts are seriously amped. I gain strength every week (I added 20lbs to my squat press today).

Just an odd combination of circumstances that has me sort of scratching my head.
  • TXHunny84
    Options
    Wow! Thank you everyone!
  • TXHunny84
    Options

So does this mean when my breath is the worst- I'm actually losing weight beacuse adipose fat is being broken down and used? If that's true- I'm fine with thte bad breath! haha