Question about high-resistance on the elliptical

Options
Hello all! :)

So, I'm signed up for a weightlifting class that starts next month, so I'll be adding in weights soon. My question has to do with my current normal cardio routine. I'm trying to maximize calories burned, while keeping my leg muscles strong.

I normally do 15 minutes of high-speed low-resistance cardio, then 30 minutes of lower-speed high resistance (all on the elliptical). I've been bumping up the resistance on both pretty regularly so I don't stagnate, and I can definitely see a change in my leg muscles.

So, should I be doing anything differently? Is this the best way to burn calories while doing cardio?

Other info: height 5'1" SW 140 CW 130 GW 115ish, or higher once I start lifting. I try to eat <100g of carbs a day and plenty of protein.

Replies

• RES2333
    RES2333 Posts: 36
    Options
    Good job on ramping up the resistance and not letting yourself adapt to the exercise.

I would suggest doing high intensity interval training every now and then for your cardio. Go hard for a minute, pull back for a minute to catch breath, go hard again, and so on and so forth. It is an excellant way to burn calories while doing cardio.