The most original thread, ever.

Options
I've seen this question asked a few times, but I've never looked at the threads. Anyway, I'm over on my sugar intake for the day, and am pretty close to going over my sodium limit as well. Does that mean today is a bust? I absolutely killed it with my fitness last night, and in trying to stay healthy, chose low-cal, low-fat foods that are high in sodium and sugar. My calories, fat, carbs, and protein are all fine, but the other two are not. Is it okay? I know that I'll have to cancel my rest day to deal with this, but is that enough?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You're fine.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you'd have to cancel a rest day due to increased sugar intake while maintaining a caloric deficit. Rest days are important if you work out a lot. Personal opinion, but you may also want to try eating your exercise calories back if you're exercising most days of the week. It looks like you may not log everything, so maybe you do already.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Today looks like you had a lot of processed foods. They are almost always high in sodium. Any chance you will be able to cook a chicken breast and some veggies for dinner? Or any whole foods.

Also, really make an effort to log everything you eat, every day. It has made such a huge difference for me.

If your sugars are mostly from fruits, vegetables, and dairy, you don't really need to worry too much about them. It's those refined sugars that are bothersome. For me, they make my hungry...and tend to trigger a binge. :(

Do NOT skip dinner!!! Try to make it as clean and whole as possible, but do not skip it!!

Every day, try to eat a little less processed food. Cut out a little more sugar. And LOG!!! :)

Happy Friday!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    life isnt about days, its about the big picture. tomorrow compensate. v easy :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I've seen this question asked a few times, but I've never looked at the threads.

oh. weird.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've seen this question asked a few times, but I've never looked at the threads. Anyway, I'm over on my sugar intake for the day, and am pretty close to going over my sodium limit as well. Does that mean today is a bust? I absolutely killed it with my fitness last night, and in trying to stay healthy, chose low-cal, low-fat foods that are high in sodium and sugar. My calories, fat, carbs, and protein are all fine, but the other two are not. Is it okay? I know that I'll have to cancel my rest day to deal with this, but is that enough?

You're fine. I only pay attention to my macro nutrients. Going over on sugar won't stall progress. Going over on salt might might you retain water but that's not permanent.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Answer is no.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I've seen this question asked a few times, but I've never looked at the threads.

You know those threads are still available for you to read, right?
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I used to worry about sugar until I realized that 2 bananas will get you to or over your "goal" for the day. If fruits are good for you, and I know they are, then MFP sugar settings are just too low.

I'm really sensitive to sodium (swelling in fingers, headaches, etc.) so I always try to stay way under that one.

Average it out, if you are always up then you need a change but if you are usually ok, with an occasional high day, don't sweat it.
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151
    Options
    At the end of the day, how YOU feel your day went determines whether or not it was a bust, so you decide. :)
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I do need to cut out the processed stuff, but I've been so pressed for time lately that I just reach for whatever is convenient. It doesn't help that my summer of healthy eating has done nothing to get rid of my sweet tooth. If anything, it's made want sweets even more. It's so frustrating sometimes.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm with the "you're fine" crowd. Just one other word of advice... watch out for any processed food in a tin, box, or package labeled "low fat". It's a marketing gimmick based on people's unfounded fear of fats. In order to compensate for the flavor lost as fat is removed, the product is typically packed with other things that are probably far worse for you in high doses - sodium for example. So seeing "Low fat" on a package should throw up a BIG red flag.

Real "low fat" foods aren't in boxes, tins or packages... they're in the fish, meat, fruit and veggie sections.