i was "mean" to overweight kids

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Look her in the eye and point to the two appendages attached below her belly button. Tell her those are for walking her own fuccing kids.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I encourage my 17 year old daughter to exercise with me, but she doesn't like to run. SO, when she is home and willing, I walk with her, and then run when she's done. The extra exercise doesn't hurt me!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    maybe your boyfriend should take them
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I used to get my super fit ex to go for a run before he picked me up so we could go together. That way we both got a decent workout in that worked with our different fitness levels.

You could try walking by yourself first and circling back to come pick them up?

Good idea!
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Agree, try seperate walks :)
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I walk an avg speed of 7mph..little over 4 miles in 54 mins..pretty brisk walk..

Ahm bit confused here at this!!

If you walk at 7mph then you sholuld be doing 7miles in 60mins not 4miles in 54mins
    Thats about an average of 4mph not 7mph!!
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    The idea about you doing your initial exercise alone then picking them up towards the end is a great one. You can always say you are training to do a marathon in the future but you can cater for the kids too. But I personally know I can't 100% concentrate on myself when being hassled - even by dogs on the leash. Do the main bulk of it alone then pick them up after! Definitely a good one! Best of luck! :smile:
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    All the other suggestions are great and can be done but I fail to see why it's your job. Their parents need to take some responsibility for their own kids and quite frankly, if at 11 and 12 they're 180 and 190lbs then they are fat. It's that simple. Their mothers can hate it all they want but those are the facts. I do understand it's a complicated situation you're in. No matter what you say you're probably going to offend someone and it's difficult to see what the best option is. I just don't think you should have to compromise your own workout to accommodate someone else's kids. The parents need to look at their own behaviour. This all may sounds really harsh, but losing weight and getting fit is hard enough as it is without having to fight other people's battles.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I walk an avg speed of 7mph..little over 4 miles in 54 mins..pretty brisk walk..

Ahm bit confused here at this!!

If you walk at 7mph then you sholuld be doing 7miles in 60mins not 4miles in 54mins
    Thats about an average of 4mph not 7mph!!
    She goes really fast for the last 6 minutes.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    chances are... the mom will not help.

If it was anyone else besides a couple of kids, I'd say tough luck. HOWEVER, they are MORBIDLY obese at ages 11 and 12. IF no one takes time for them to teach them how to eat and exercise, they are going to be in even worse shape later. It also sounds like you might be their only role model in that area. As an adult, you have a responsibility to teach them and if they are willing to exercise with you, then you need to take time for them. If that means slowing your own weight loss by a fraction for a few months until they can build the stamina to hang with you, then so be it.

Otherwise, take separate walks, but you have to help them.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    All the other suggestions are great and can be done but I fail to see why it's your job. Their parents need to take some responsibility for their own kids and quite frankly, if at 11 and 12 they're 180 and 190lbs then they are fat. It's that simple. Their mothers can hate it all they want but those are the facts. I do understand it's a complicated situation you're in. No matter what you say you're probably going to offend someone and it's difficult to see what the best option is. I just don't think you should have to compromise your own workout to accommodate someone else's kids. The parents need to look at their own behaviour. This all may sounds really harsh, but losing weight and getting fit is hard enough as it is without having to fight other people's battles.

because they are KIDS. Why should they be the ones to suffer because of the adults around them?
  • melaniealedgerwood
    Options
    1. It is never okay to name call. Fat is a mean spirited word.

2. There is always more than one way to say something - you can simply say "my walking time is really a time when I like to unwind and think. I prefer to walk alone"

3. An apology IS in order for calling them fat. It doesn't cost anything to say you are sorry and it makes others feel that you care.

Good luck with your fitness and with your relationship with the neighbors.
    Blessings
    Mel
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    If you were rude, even unintentionally, you should apologize. I don't know if you really were, but it might be worth it to keep the peace.

It's up to you whether you help these girls out. I think it would be really wonderful if you did. If you have to, walk ahead of them a certain distance and then walk back to them. But they really need someone to encourage them, and their parents are obviously not going to do it.
  • melaniealedgerwood
    Options
    Yeh... one more comment. It's not your responsibility to teach the neighbor's kids how to stay fit. Be kind - just be kind. :smile:
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    1. It is never okay to name call. Fat is a mean spirited word.

2. There is always more than one way to say something - you can simply say "my walking time is really a time when I like to unwind and think. I prefer to walk alone"

3. An apology IS in order for calling them fat. It doesn't cost anything to say you are sorry and it makes others feel that you care.

Good luck with your fitness and with your relationship with the neighbors.
    Blessings
    Mel
    What are you talking about? Where did she say she used the word "fat"? She said they couldn't exercise with her unless they could keep up, and their mothers inferred the rest.
  • fuselighter
    fuselighter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Are there any school tracks in your area? When my kids want to go with me, I go to a high school or middle school track. After school hours they are usually open to the public. At the track the kids can walk when they want, and I can keep an eye on them. When I come around they usually try to race so it actually encourages me to get some speed work in. Also there are usually lines on the track, so I can set a finish line for our races and get them going a little further than they might otherwise go.
  • DIYmomma
    DIYmomma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have similar problems with my inlaws, seems like we are always butting heads even when its unintentional. Why not try to inspire the girls to workout with you, it can only help them. I know at that age I was overweight and already feeling so bad about myself, if someone had took the time then to teach me, maybe things could have been different. include the girls in your walk, tell them its up to them to be ready at the set time or they cant come, give them a good head start, that way you can keep a good pace but also keep the girls in sight. Also use leg and wrist weights to ad resistance to your walk, you will probably slow down a little naturally and still get a good workout.

Chances are as young as the girls are, they will grow tired of walking with you after a few times. And if not, then they will become as dedicated as you are and eventually be able to keep up!
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a walking track, let them walk with you there. That way you can each walk at your own pace but they are still nearby on the track.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    maybe your boyfriend should take them

^^^this!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a walking track, let them walk with you there. That way you can each walk at your own pace but they are still nearby on the track.

and this^^