Need Alternative to Benefiber now that it's unavailable

Options
JoMFrasca
JoMFrasca Posts: 61 Member
Help! They have stopped making Benefiber and I am looking for an alternative non soluble flavorless fiber powder to put in my morning protein shakes. Apparently, due to a manufacturing problem, Benefiber is not available at all and there is no way to know when it will be back on the shelves (you can't even order it online unless you want to pay exorbitant prices). I can't use Metamucil since it has psyllium, which bloats me, and Citrucil is flavored.

Any suggestions for a flavorless insoluble fiber supplement I can use instead of Benefiber are welcomed.

Replies

• CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Cold-milled flax seed. It's a natural laxative that helps keep you regular and full.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    WHAT? OMG! I love the benefiber flavored drink powder that was like crystal light....SO sad if this is true! I hate metamucil and Citrucil (either they are thick and gross or kill my tummy)......luckily since I started eating pounds of veggies every day and drinking a gallon of water, I don't depend on those type of supplements anymore. Hope you find what you are looking for.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Flax had many other health benefits... Those are actually what I use it for.
  • itsmeRita
    Options
    I read that Wheat Dextrin available at Costco is a good substitute for Benefiber.
    also

I also have Psyllium and Flaxseed
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My doc recommended Miralax.
  • blaiseastra
    Options
    I used to use Benefiber too, and the best replacement I've found is Fiber Smart. Like Benefiber, it doesn't get gritty or gross in the liquid--it seems to dissolve much better than any other brand I've tried.

http://www.renewlife.com/fiber-smart.html
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    They make gummy fiber now. Pretty good. Not sure how effective it is against benefiber. But they are fun :)
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My doc recommended Miralax.
    Miralax is a laxative, and a pretty powerful one for its availability. I wouldn't use it for a fiber supplement (which it is not) unless you have permission from a doc.
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Fiber Gummies from Costco, love them!
  • Shetchncn1
    Options
    They make gummy fiber now. Pretty good. Not sure how effective it is against benefiber. But they are fun :)

In with the other fiber "items" at the grocery store or the vitamin section. Good luck!!
  • Shetchncn1
    Options
    I've been using the Fiber Gummies from Costco, love them!

Glad I am not the only one LOL
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Just put greens in your protein shakes in the blender. You get the vitamins from those greens too. Heck, or throw in some fruit. Fruit has fiber.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Look at Psyllium seed husk's. I use the pill form GNC and it seemed to do wonders for me with a Probiotic Pill to go with it.