Does cutting out caffeine actual aid weightloss?

Options

Replies

• ashbee169
    ashbee169 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Coffee is OK but soda is where the fat comes Cuz of all the sugar but If you quit completely get excedren your gonna have head aches for like a week. Well I did.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is not good...but I have my caffeine all day long...coffee in the a.m......Diet Coke all day! I don't think it has slowed my weight loss...but, that is just me..:drinker:

Wishing you all the best in your journey to a healthier life!:flowerforyou:
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you decide to cut out the caffiene, watch out. The headaches can be a b****! I recently reduced my daily calorie intake and decided that 70 calories on dairy creamer was not worth it (I cannot drink coffee black!). So I cut out my morning cup. Next day, I had an aweful headache. I decided to switch to a cup of Irish Tea with 1/8 cup skim milk instead. It is working nicely.

I also noticed that, if I didn't have some caffeine in the morning, my workouts suffered as I couldn't go quite as intense.

Experiment and see what works for you. We all work a little differently.
  • Kipperdog123
    Options
    Actually, some caffeine in moderation spurs on weight loss, because it burns a few calories because it raises the heart rate.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I read some information saying that reducing or cutting out caffeine can control cortisol production and stress hormones, thereby reducing abdominal fat gain. I'm on my first week of quitting coffee, and it's really sucking. Has anyone here quit caffeine and seen positive effects?
    I have a couple cups every morning and hasnt hurt me a bit- but its water and crystal light all day.....
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee and I don't have belly fat. And since I normally work out after my 4-hour morning shift I usually have 2 cups of coffee during that shift and it def helps my performance lol
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i cut out the coffee and it helped me but it wasnt the coffee so much as the cream and sugar i was putting in it. coffee has proven health benifits when consued in moderation just drink plenty of water to balance its dehydrating side effects. i do have much more energy now without the coffee than i did with the coffee to each their own. its not the worst drink in the world (ie mcd's sweet tea)
  • _Fluff
    _Fluff Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! It looks like everyone's mileage may vary. I'm cutting back from 8 cups of coffee a day to three cups of green tea, and the headaches are only starting to fade off. I feel less puffy and bloated, but that may be all in my head. Part of my desire to quit coffee is because of possible benefits, and the other part is- wouldn't it be cool to not be addicted to /anything/? Next up- quitting ice cream:P
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    If anything it would help me, it cleans me out! lol tmi ;)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Coffee is antioxidant rich.

The headaches will go away if you taper off instead of quit cold turkey, at least that's what I've found.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    and the other part is- wouldn't it be cool to not be addicted to /anything/?

ya
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you take cream and sugar with your coffee, I imagine that cutting it out will make a difference.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I am pretty confident that caffeine makes no significant difference either way. For every person talking about cortisol, there will be another talking about the thermogenic effects of caffeine.

Also, for what it is worth, caffeine is an appetite suppressant.
  • kasey98226
    Options
    I have to have some sort of caffeine... Just not the shakes with the flavorings I WAS drinking (okay, as a treat I still do... it's 500 calories of heaven in a cup!! Today was one of those days actually) So I do green tea for the 90% of the time. But I am ADHD, so caffeine helps with balancing my energy and focusing. Never has made me crazy hyper, actually calms me a bit. Now I am a bit dependent on caffeine, and get migraines if I don't have any before noon, which isn't great, but if I just make sure I dont binge on the bad stuff I can put in coffee I have noticed a difference. Cutting out the creams and sugars are what helped me, while still enjoying some effects of the caffeine.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I read some information saying that reducing or cutting out caffeine can control cortisol production and stress hormones, thereby reducing abdominal fat gain. I'm on my first week of quitting coffee, and it's really sucking. Has anyone here quit caffeine and seen positive effects?

This seems ludicrous to me (not insulting you just whatever site/person thought this up)

I have always taken copious amounts of caffeine since I started losing weight - I have seen no adverse effects besides if I dont wean down and get a rebound headache or something (I usually take anywhere between 800mg-1200mg a day)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    For me it does nothing drinking coffee or not drinking coffee. I have cut down to only 3 cups on average a day where as before I probably would drink 6-8 cups. Again, it hasn't changed anything. My Dad swears that coffee is what keeps his weight off (I guess the cigarettes he smokes helps too).
  • nursenelson
    Options
    i quit coffee for a week with no difference in wt loss.
    I just couldnt do it. I need my caffeine.
    Its the cream I have to watch and log.
    I figure if I'm going to lose weight anyways why cut it out?
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I cut out caffeine doing the Atkins many years ago, when I realised how addicted to it I was I never went back. I was given tea in a beaker when I was a toddler; white with sugar! It was tough to quit and I went cold turkey.

I am not sure if it affects weight loss but I found it harder to give up than cigarettes - by a long shot. It was really tough for a week with huge headaches, but now I am caffeine free I am so much better in the mornings, no grumpy caffeine lows!!

I have the occasional caffeinated drink when nothing else is available (I am not keen on plain water) but if I have too many (or ridiculously strong coffee) it is a real rush now!!

^^^^ THIS!!!
  • lilfurson
    lilfurson Posts: 190
    Options
    I gave up caffeine as well but mainly because of the negative things it made me do. It would cause me to drink diet soda which I definitely didn't need. I don't think it's had any effect on my weight loss. No diet soda and no caffeine :) I don't like coffee so I don't need to worry about that.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm not recommending this to anyone, but I drink 32oz of espresso in the morning alone, JUST to get my day started.

Throughout the day I'll have at least two redbull zero's, diet pepsi's, and maybe even another cup of coffee or an espresso shot or two in there.

That's a lot of caffeine in one day.

Has not hindered weight loss.

I would be scared for all of humanity if someone took away my caffeine.

THERE'S NEVER ANY TIME.