Pool Laps?

Options
How many pool laps should I do to start off with? Someone mention 36 because that would be a mile... and is it really the best exercise? I will start the weights next week for certain areas of my body. I am a newbiee...be patient. :)

Jamie

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool I think they're and excellent way to get your cardio in.

As for how many? Gee That's kind of up to you. Do you know how long the pool you'll be swimming in is? I will say even when I was in HS and in really good shape a mile swim was very exhausting, and I trained for a week before attempting it.

I would take it easy. The down side to swimming laps is if you get a bad cramp in deep enough water you could be in trouble.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would start by measuring your amount of time in the pool. Like, plan on swimming laps for 20 minutes. Then count how many laps you do in that amount of time, and try to increase it by one lap every week or so. The first time you get in the pool should be a measure of what you are currently capable of... don't push it too hard because you don't want to injure yourself. Use it as a marker and set your goals from there.
  • twilight1542
    Options
    There's no right answer except do what your capable of. I've been working out daily since June & went swimming for the 1st time in years a few weeks ago. I did 1hr of cardio (machines) first & was able to do 40 laps in 48 mins w/short rests. But before June I doubt I would have lasted 30 mins even w/out first doing other cardio.

So just figure out your baseline (what you can do now--time & laps) and focus on slowly increasing your goal time & laps from there :)
  • Goddessofchaos
    Options
    I ended up doing 35 mins of laps. I think it was worth it. I was so sore when I woke up this morning!
    My boss is giving me tips on how to start out, because I think I am not swimming right, if you can believe that. LOL. Today I will doing either my workout or treadmill. Thanks for the help!! Oh and the Pool is 25 yards long.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I ended up doing 35 mins of laps. I think it was worth it. I was so sore when I woke up this morning!
    My boss is giving me tips on how to start out, because I think I am not swimming right, if you can believe that. LOL. Today I will doing either my workout or treadmill. Thanks for the help!! Oh and the Pool is 25 yards long.

There is a book and a video (I'm assuming they have it in DVD now) called "Total Immersion" that is a great instruction manual on improving your swimming technique. I highly recommend it. I used it when I first started back in the pool and even took one of their clinics. It will really help you with the proper form in the water.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    ooh! Thanks for that resource I am going to go check it out! I started swimming regularly 3X/week last January. It took me the full 55 minutes at that time to complete 20 laps - I really had to rest between ends - and that included a lot of breast stroke! I also found that technique was a biggie, I really struggled with the breathing.

Thanks to bits of advice from pool regulars I can now swim more efficiently, which means that I can work the rest of my body more when I am swimming - reaching better with my arms, twisting well to breathe and kicking properly. Last night I completed my 20 laps in 25 mins. I am now doing front crawl one way and back stroke on the return, without stopping, then a small recovery stop before the next lap. I did another 10 laps and still had over 10 minutes to go into the warm water pool to do some stretching and core work from my aqua fit class!!!

My point is hang in there - it's an amazing workout. Definitely total body and the bonus is the better you get at it, the more intense you can make it!

BTW one other thing I do is pull ups on either the ladder or the starting blocks at the deep end - 15 reps/lap for 3 or 4 laps.
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    I know this sounds silly but I love to swim laps using a snorkel and mask. I had injured my neck a few years back and find I can swim great using the snorkel and mask. I have tried the swimmers snorkel which is good but I kept getting water into it, wasn't until I used a regular snorkel that things got better.

I would enjoy hearing how you are progressing with your swimming. I can do about 30-33 lengths now, but have to rebuild up because I had broncitis recently. I also love water aerobics and aqua jogging ... have you tried any of those?
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    So I googled and found the total immersion website....www.totalimmersion.net....I'm going to order the book and DVD, but the forum is great...they seem to have something for swimmers of all levels! Thanks for the head's up lessertess!!!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    So I googled and found the total immersion website....www.totalimmersion.net....I'm going to order the book and DVD, but the forum is great...they seem to have something for swimmers of all levels! Thanks for the head's up lessertess!!!

Happy to help. I really loved the clinic. Also, do a search. There is a Swimmers Masters Club. When I lived in a bigger city the club had practices and even went to swim meets. There are swimmers of every age and level in the club.