donating blood

s00z
s00z Posts: 3
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
i read recently that each time you donate blood you burn around 500 or 600 calories....just wondering if anyone else heard about this or if theres any truth behind it?

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    The Mayo Clinic says:

You burn about 650 calories by donating one pint of blood.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/donate-blood-jax/know.html

__

Your body has to work to replenish the blood that you have lost.
  • Another bonus to donating blood! I've been donating since I was a teenager and never knew this - is there an entry in the exercise database for this?
  • lisam829
    lisam829 Posts: 110 Member
    Note to self!!!! Did anyone find out if there was an entry for this? Would it be cardio? :laugh:
  • s00z
    s00z Posts: 3
    i searched a couple different terms but nothing showed up...
    too bad they feed you cookies afterwards :tongue:
  • But now I don't need to feel quite as guilty eating one of those cookies to keep me from passing out!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    i searched a couple different terms but nothing showed up...
    too bad they feed you cookies afterwards :tongue:

I don't eat the cookies or pretzels afterwards...................I take a sliced apple and an ounce of cheddar cheese with me and eat that after giving blood.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Is that why they offer juice, etc. after you donate blood?
  • Something seems off about this. Is this that day or over the course of the blood cell replenishment (which takes about 8 weeks)?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Something seems off about this. Is this that day or over the course of the blood cell replenishment (which takes about 8 weeks)?

I think the majority of calories would be burned replacing the blood volume within the first 24 hours.
This discussion has been closed.