is it me or ...

Options
lil_bit_crazy
lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
Ok I go to P.T. every week for post ACL surgery. I usually see the same therapist ..but have on occasion seen others.
There is one there who is I'm guessing mid 30's?? Well...in the middle of my therapy he will take calls. At first I figured it was a doctor or something...
He comes back after about 10-15 minutes and says "oh I had to take that. I haven't spoken to my wife in a couple of hours."
So its a personal call? As I'm standing there, by regulations not allowed to do anything until a therapist is next to me? So he can step outside to take a call?
Then, same visit he says he was supposed to be off at 3. My appt was 4 to 5. He said they (regular therapist)talked him into staying over so a few therapists could go to the nursing home for those patients. Making me feel like I was a burden?
Then after I'm there at 4, work til 4:10..he steps out for his call til 4:25...I do maybe 2/3 of what I usually do, he didn't push me..which I like. And at 4:45 he says I'm done and can go home.

Is it me or was he just plain rude? I know the call wasn't an emergency. He said he just hasn't talked to her for a couple hours.
Should I just ask not to work (or whatever that was) with him?

Replies

• lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    *he didn't push me meaning I want to and like to be pushed...
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ummm yea thats totally unprofessional, supposed to put patients first. And technically he's abandoning you which he could get in a lot of trouble for! I would ask to speak to the manager if I were you and get referred to another facility.
  • 180farm
    180farm Posts: 230
    Options
    That was incredibly rude and unprofessional. Next time I would ask who you're working with and state your preference. I would have no problem saying that I don't want to work with ???? Because he takes too many phone calls. Or you could just tell them it's not a good fit and if there are any issues with the request then state he was on the phone and cut the time short.

I have brought my daughter to pt most of her life. I've only refused to work with someone once. It was a situation similar to yours. I want the best results and i hate wasting my time. It's not too much to ask for someone to just do their job. Most PTs are fabulous.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    WOW, Very rude!!!
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Not just you. He's a douche nozzle.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Maybe his wife needed to know what kind of sandwich he wanted for dinner...
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    that's the beauty of texting. "i'm with a patient, i'll call when done" for a non emergency would have been fine (well, I would have been ok with that) but otherwise, rude and unprofessional
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    He is very unprofessional leaving a client for a call from his wife who he could talk to when he gets home. You should find another physical therapist who doesn't leave abruptly.
  • captnemo44
    captnemo44 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow very un professional i work at a clinic that would never happen. You need to speak up, you should be getting the amount of time neede for your therapy they are usually about 45 minutes.
  • DragonRoar
    Options
    The way it looks does come off very unprofessionally. The old me at would have done something even more obnoxious than ignoring a patient, however I'd like to give people the benefit of doubt, second chance, yada yada. You know he was on phone with for a personal call, but maybe it was important? Getting updated on a hospitalised family member? Who knows? I would let it go, but if it happens again...def make it known you're not happy about it.
  • DragonRoar
    Options
    Oh, and best of luck with your knee! Been there, done that, way too many times!