Need some veggie burger recipes!

Options
VanillaSky72
VanillaSky72 Posts: 57 Member
Does anyone know how to make a killer veggie burger taste like a hamburger. I tried some premade ones before, but looking for something homemade.

Replies

• weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I saw this one, I was going to try it out. Black Bean Okara Burgers.

http://www.homesteadharvest.com/roblbeokbu.html
  • sistasledge101
    Options
    bump - I'm waiting to hear some good recipes :)
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I find I prefer the ones that aren't trying to replicate the taste of beef. I figure if you can't mimic beef, embrace the veggies! But morningstar's spicy black bean burgers are good, and even better with a little BBQ sauce.
    Ha! Never mind, saw you want recipes. I'm interested too...will lurk and see what people post.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    BUMP! I'm looking for the same thing myself! Tired of the processed ones in the store!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I saw this one, I was going to try it out. Black Bean Okara Burgers.

http://www.homesteadharvest.com/roblbeokbu.html

At first I thought they were misspelling okra, then I googled it. I've never heard of that before, or even seen it in the store. Now I'm going to have to hunt some down!
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I really like these: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=black bean burgers&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

I add salsa and adjust breadcrumbs as needed. Also use ground flax 'egg' in place of regular egg. Tried basic recipe with chick peas as well, and they were still good. Even my kids love them!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I use the spicy black bean burger recipe from skinnytaste but I don't use the chipolte sauce.
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I personally love veggie burgers so its not hard for me! I always put lettuce, tomato, onion, and avocado on them... and of course mustard. I also love using spicy black bean patties in tortillas with a lot of veggies and some hummas as wraps.
  • IamL
    IamL Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VanillaSky72
    Options
    Thanks a lot!
  • dklw
    dklw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    here are some:

RECIPE: Quinoa Veggie Burger with Roasted Red Pepper Relish
    MAKES 6 BURGERS

FOR THE BURGERS
    ⅓ cup olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 small carrot, finely chopped
    1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
    1 rib celery, finely chopped
    2 cups baby arugula, blanched, shocked, finely chopped, and squeezed dry
    1 (15-oz.) can great northern or cannellini beans, rinsed, drained and mashed
    2 cups cooked quinoa
    ½ cup breadcrumbs
    2 tbsp. oregano leaves, finely chopped
    1 egg
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

FOR THE RELISH
    ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
    2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    2 red bell peppers, roasted, stemmed, seeded, peeled, and finely chopped
    ½ small yellow onion, minced

6 hamburger buns, split and toasted

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a 12" skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, carrot, onion, and celery, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add arugula, quinoa, breadcrumbs, oregano, egg, and mashed beans; season with salt and pepper and mix well to combine.
    2. Divide mixture into six 5 1/2-oz. patties, about 4" wide x 1" thick; place on a plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until ready to use.
    3. To make the relish, mix parsley, juice, cumin, peppers, onion, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit 20 minutes to allow flavors to marry.
    4. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 burgers, and cook, flipping once, until toasted on each side and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Repeat with remaining oil and burgers. Divide burgers between toasted buns, top with relish and serve.

Note: Individual veggie burgers can be formed and then frozen, sealed, for up to one month. Thaw in the refrigerator and cook as needed.
    Portobello Burgers with Blue Cheese and Sautéed Red Onions
    SERVES 4
    INGREDIENTS
    FOR THE PORTOBELLO BURGERS
    8 large portobello mushroom caps
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tbsp. steak sauce, like A1
    ¾ cup breadcrumbs
    1 egg
    ½ tsp. fresh-ground black pepper

FOR THE ONIONS
    3 tbsp. butter
    1 large red onion, thinly sliced
    2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp. dried thyme
    Salt and pepper, to taste

2 tbsp. olive oil
    4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
    4 sesame seeded hamburger buns, split and toasted
    INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Make the portobello burgers: place mushroom caps in a bamboo steamer over simmering water, or over a steamer insert in a 6 quart saucepan. Cover and steam until mushrooms are tender, about 7 minutes. Place cooked mushrooms in a food processor with garlic, steak sauce, bread crumbs, and egg, and season with black pepper. Pulse just until mixture comes together, about 20 pulses or 30 seconds. Divide mixture into four 6 oz. patties, 4" wide by ⅓ " thick. Place on a plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until ready to use. (See note.)

2. Make the onions: Heat butter in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion until soft, about 8 minutes. Add vinegar, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook until onions are slightly caramelized, about 7 minutes more. Remove from the pan and reserve.

3. Wipe out skillet and heat olive oil over medium-high. Cook portobello burgers, until toasted on each side and cooked through, about 12 minutes (6 minutes per side). Top each burger with 1 oz. cheese and continue to cook until just melted, about 2 minutes. Divide cheese-topped burgers between toasted buns, top with onions, and serve.

Note: Individual portobello burgers can be formed and then frozen, sealed, for up to one month. Thaw in the refrigerator and cook as needed
    Roasted Garlic Chickpea Burgers
    MAKES 6 BURGERS
    INGREDIENTS
    FOR THE BURGER

⅓ cup olive oil, separated
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 small stalk celery, finely chopped
    1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1 15oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    8 cloves garlic, roasted and peeled
    ¼ cup sesame tahini
    2 tsp. lemon zest
    ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
    1 egg

FOR SERVING

2 oz. sprouts
    1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
    2 Roma tomatoes, cored and sliced ½" thick
    3 oz feta, crumbled
    3 pocket pitas cut in half crosswise, or 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a 12" skillet over medium high heat. Add onions, celery and thyme and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and reserve. Wipe skillet clean.

2. Place chickpeas and rice in a food processor, along with garlic, tahini, and zest. Pulse until chickpeas and rice are chopped, but not yet a paste, about 8 pulses or about 10 seconds. Transfer mixture to the bowl with the onions. Add parsley and egg, season with salt and pepper, and mix well to combine. Divide mixture into six 4 oz. patties, about 3" wide x ½" thick. Place on a plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until ready to use.

3. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in skillet over medium high heat and cook burgers in batches of 3, flipping once halfway through until toasted on each side and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining oil and burgers.

4. Divide burgers, sprouts, sliced cucumber, tomato and feta between pita pocket halves or buns and serve.

Note: Individual burgers can be formed and then frozen, sealed, for up to one month. Thaw and cook as needed
    Black Bean Burger with Salsa Fresca and Avocado Crema
    MAKES 6 BURGERS
    INGREDIENTS
    FOR THE BLACK BEAN BURGERS

⅓ cup olive oil
    1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
    6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 poblano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    2 tsp. paprika
    1 tsp. ground coriander
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped
    ½ cup breadcrumbs
    2 eggs
    2 (15-oz.) cans black beans, rinsed, drained, and mashed
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    ½ cup finely ground cornmeal

FOR THE SALSA FRESCA

3 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded and finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    ¼ cup red wine vinegar
    2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro

FOR THE AVOCADO CREMA

½ cup sour cream
    2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
    2 avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled

6 hamburger buns
    INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Make the burgers: Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and poblanos, and cook, stirring, until soft and slightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, paprika, coriander, oregano, and chipotle chiles, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Add breadcrumbs, beans, and eggs, season with salt and pepper, and mix well to combine. Divide mixture into six 5½-oz. patties, about 3" wide x 1" thick; place on a plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until ready to use.

2. Make the salsa: Mix vinegar, cilantro, tomatoes, garlic, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit 20 minutes to allow flavors to marry. To make the avocado crema, combine sour cream, lime juice, avocado, and salt and pepper in a blender, and puree until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

3. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge 3 burgers in cornmeal, and cook, flipping once, until toasted on each side and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining oil, burgers, and cornmeal.

4. Spread the bottom half of each bun with avocado crema, top with a burger and some salsa and serve.

Note: Burgers may be formed and frozen, sealed, for up to one month. Defrost as necessary, dredge in cornmeal as described in step 3, and cook.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    check out

happyherbivore.com
  • VanillaSky72
    Options
    Thanks a lot! lol
  • VanillaSky72
    Options
    Thanks so much
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    These are complicated and take time I make them with my BF or a friend because it's too much work alone but the end result is SO worth it

GREDIENTS
    BEAN BURGERS WITH SPICY GUACAMOLE
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed (see Note)
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans, well drained (see Tip)
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground toasted cumin seeds (see Tip)
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    3 tablespoons cornmeal, plus 1/3 cup for coating burgers
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    6 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
    6 lettuce leaves
    6 tomato slices
    GUACAMOLE
    1 ripe avocado
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 teaspoons finely chopped red onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
    1/8 teaspoon salt

PREPARATION
    Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook until the water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Uncover and let stand.
    Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add beans, paprika and ground cumin and mash the beans to a smooth paste with a potato masher or fork. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let cool slightly. Add the quinoa, 3 tablespoons cilantro, 3 tablespoons cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; stir to combine.
    Form the bean mash into 6 patties. Coat them evenly with the remaining 1/3 cup cornmeal and transfer to a baking sheet. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
    To prepare guacamole: Mash avocado with a potato masher or fork. Stir in 2 tablespoons cilantro, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons onion, garlic, cayenne and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
    Preheat oven to 200°F.
    Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron (or similar heavy) skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook 3 burgers until heated through and brown and crisp on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to the oven to keep warm. Cook the remaining 3 burgers with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent overbrowning. Serve the burgers on buns with lettuce, tomato and the guacamole.
    TIPS & NOTES
    Tip: Toast cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until very fragrant, 2 to 5 minutes. Let cool. Grind into a powder in a spice mill or blender.
    Ingredient Note: Quinoa is a delicately flavored, protein-rich grain. Rinsing removes any residue of saponin, quinoa’s natural, bitter protective covering. Find it in natural-foods stores and the natural-foods sections of many supermarkets.
    Tip: How to Cook a Pot of Beans
    1. Pick over 1 pound dry beans to remove any pebbles or broken beans and rinse well under cold water. Place in a large bowl, cover with 3 inches of cold water and soak for 4 to 24 hours.
    2. When you’re ready to cook the beans, heat 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 small chopped onion, 2 to 3 chopped garlic cloves and 1 chopped celery stalk (optional). Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the beans and add to the pan. Add enough cold water to cover the beans by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Lower the heat to a bare simmer, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 20 minutes to 3 hours, depending on the freshness of the beans. If at any time the liquid level drops below the beans, add 1 cup hot water. When the beans are nearly soft, stir in 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. (Do not drain: beans are best stored in their cooking liquid and the liquid can be used in some recipes.)
    Makes about 6 cups.
    NUTRITION
    Per serving: 412 calories; 15 g fat ( 2 g sat , 9 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 14 g fiber; 502 mg sodium; 764 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Folate (48% daily value), Magnesium (26% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Vitamin C (18% dv).

Carbohydrate Servings: 3
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Check out my sandwichs and burgers :)

http://claudiasrecipes.weebly.com/sandwiches.html
  • rritter165
    Options
    I use a tasty black bean burger I found on pinterst. I will post it.

The best veggie burger you’ll ever eat. So tasty you won’t miss the meat!
    Preparation Instructions
    Drain the can of black beans. In a mixing bowl, mash the black beans with a fork or a potato masher.
    Use a food processor to chop the onion, garlic, and red pepper until very fine. Stir the mixture in with the beans.
    In a separate mixing bowl, combine the egg, cumin, onion powder, chili powder, Sriracha and cilantro. Add this to the bean mixture and combine well.
    If the mixture has a lot of liquid, strain with a cheesecloth or let it strain through a colander with very fine holes. Once the excess liquid has drained off, return the bean mixture to the bowl and stir in half of the bread crumbs.
    Use your hands to form four evenly sized patties. Coat the outside of the burger patties in the remaining bread crumbs.
    Heat the oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Cook burgers in the pan until heated through and slightly browned on both sides.
    Put the burger on top of a bun. Dress with all your favorite burger condiments and enjoy!
    Ingredients
    • 1 can (16 Oz. Size) Black Beans
    • ½ whole Onion, Cut Into Wedges
    • 3 cloves Garlic, Peeled And Rough Chopped
    • 1 whole Red Pepper, Stem And Seeds Removed, Chopped
    • 1 whole Egg
    • 1 teaspoon Cumin
    • 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
    • 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
    • 1 Tablespoon Sriracha Hot Sauce (or Your Favorite Hot Sauce)
    • ½ cups Finely Chopped Cilantro
    • 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
    • 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
    • 4 whole Burger Buns Or Kaiser Rolls
  • letsgiveup
    letsgiveup Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    These are by far the best veggie burgers I've ever tried: http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarter-pounder-beet-burger/

For best results (IMO) top with lettuce, tomato, onion, spicy mustard, and lots of avocado slices.
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Try grilling porta bella mushroom caps. I marinade mine in yosadas and then grill them about 3 mins. on each side top with low fat cheese. Even the teens beg for them. YUMMY :flowerforyou: