Naturally occuring sugars in fruit

Options
Ok, so this is my 10th day on here and I've been doing great with eating and tracking my food but have a question. I am staying away from sugars and sweet but eat a lot of fruit. It has so many benefits to it and is low in calories, but should I be concerned about the sugar in it? I'm losing weight regularly but am hearing conflicting info on this subject.

Replies

• ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of fruit in the beginning and it didn't seem to hinder my weight loss at all, but as I get closer to goal, I've noticed that any sugar hurts my weightloss. I don't know if that's normal or not, but I'm trying to cut down on fruit to see if that helps the scale start moving again.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I count all sugar no matter where it comes from, but I set my sugar goal at 90 grams, which is high enough to allow for quite a lot of naturally occuring sugar (and some added sugar as well!). But I do lose weight faster when I eat less sugar from all sources, including fruit.
  • Brittni__duh
    Brittni__duh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't be overly concerned with fruit in sugar. I'd watch out for added sugars in processed foods more. Fruit is amazing and can be a great source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Just don't overdo it. If you're worried about the fruit in sugar, just exercise moderation, especially with very sugary fruits.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am pretty close to my goal, and I notice fewer carbs ( or sugar) help me lose the fastest...So I end up eating lots of protein to satisfy me. Today I ate more fruit, and seemed to really want it. But normally I avoid it, eating only as much as necessary.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of conflicting advice on nutrition and exercise. If you are having success then keep doing it.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    With MFP reccomended guidelines of 30, I'm over on days I eat a lot of fruit. I've had 80mg today, most of which came from fresh fruit. Maybe I'm replacing all the sweets I used to eat with fruit! I appreciate the input and will still count it, but worry less about the sugar from fruit and keep the sugar in other foods to a minimum!
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've dropped 50lbs since starting this ride last year. In that time I've paid zero attention to natural sugars in fruit. Instead, I simply cut out sweets. Lately, I've been allowing myself some dark chocolate and minor normal life stuff, but I never count sugar from fruit. I'm just watching sugar from junk stuff.