Counting spices/herbs/teas?

Options
Angylgrrl
Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
Hello all! I was wondering what your thoughts were on counting calories on things such as dried herbs, spices, and tea bags? I don't mean any of the pre-made spice mixes with lots of salt and stuff, but things like dried basil, oregano, smoked paprika, etc.

I also really enjoy the Lipton Cold Brew Iced Tea. I drink it completely unsweetened. I drink mostly water throughout the day, but I feel like it's a nice change. Would you count that under the meals/snacks, or would you just count it as more water since it is not being sweetened.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Replies

• ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My general rule of thumb is if it has less than 10 calories and no sodium I don't track it. Sometimes I track my tea, but that is only to make myself more aware of how much caffeine I am drinking in a day.
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump. :)
  • hiddensvelte
    hiddensvelte Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't drink tea(s), but I don't count the others unless I'm creating a recipe. For example, tonight I added parsley to my carrots and had olive oil and basil on some spaghetti. Calories and nutrition from herbs and spices typically <2 for each one in a recipe. It's really not worth the effort, consider fresh herbs to be a bonus.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I often count them just so I can know how much iron and certain vitamins I'm getting. I like to be sure I meet all my vitamin/mineral requirements, and if I know I'm not going to, I'll take a multivitamin that day. You might be surprised at how much iron is in fresh basil. I love knowing that stuff, haha!
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Don't bother, you will burn more calories just reading the label.