weight loss and back muscle strain

Options
So hi. I'm Matt. I've lost 106 lbs by eating healthier and exercising. All in stride, right?

Anyway, having lost a substantial gut... it feels very much like my frame has shifted. It's obvious that my back is under different stress now than when I had an extra 100 lbs to haul around.

Has anyone else experienced the "my center of gravity is off-kilter" sensation? A change in balance? Sore muscles in the back from the loss of weight?

It hasn't been anything unbearable, and if it doesn't go away... fret not, I'll check with my physician. Just wondered if anyone else had dealt with some of the same things.

Replies

• cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Time to get onto a good exercise program that will address your core in general! A good body worker, certified personal trainer who is used to working with people with back problems, or a physical therapist can set you up on exercises that will strengthen and balance this vital area of the body, from which all movement originates, and in the process pain is relieved because the muscle imbalances are being addressed, and ideally one is being taught how to move safely. Be patient though - it does take some time and good work. Best of luck!
  • brenna15
    brenna15 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, I suffer from severe back pain and achy muscles. I started using a foam roller which cracks my back & massages the sore muscles. Then, I bought a "body back buddy"-- wonderful!!! It is able to target and massage muscles anywhere on the body. I recommend everyone having one. Lastly, I bought an inversion table on overstock.com and I try to hang upside-down about 20 minutes 3 or 4 days a week. It has made my back pain subside to nearly nothing!
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. That is a substantial amount to lose. I agree with Cara. Good luck.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a significant amount of weight, but was very thin (borderline eating disorder) in my 20's, and clearly remember the center of gravity shift when I started gaining. Very basic beginner pilates has helped a lot with my neck issues and lack of core strength.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, all. It appears that I just need to be patient and let the core workouts do their thing. I couldn't imagine that it was a phenomenon that was specific to the spare tire I used to carry around my gut. Good to know that others have dealt with the same thing.