The #1 Cause of Obesity: Insulin

Options
I just recently found this website (Swedish doctor promoting a low carb, high fat, real food diet) so some of this has probably been discussed here before but it's new to me and there's a terrific explanation (hypothesis?) of what's driving the obesity epidemic in the US and around the world.
This 3rd episode of “The Skinny on Obesity” may be the best short video on obesity I’ve seen. Not because dr Robert Lustig tells me something I didn’t already know, but because he explains it so crystal clear that a kid will understand. -Andreas Eenfeldt, MD
It's only 8 minutes:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-1-cause-of-obesity-insulin

If you like a little more science to go with your easy to understand videos there's also this page:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/science

Replies

• kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    This is true but the jury is still out on whether or not saturated fat causes heart disease the second leading cause of death in America. A low fat plant based diet is the only diet proven to reverse heart disease.
    You have to choose heart disease or diabetes you cant win these days
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    This is true but the jury is still out on whether or not saturated fat causes heart disease the second leading cause of death in America. A low fat plant based diet is the only diet proven to reverse heart disease.
    There's nothing supporting the theory that saturated fats cause heart disease that hasn't been discredited (that I'm aware of) and the Ornish diet I assume you're talking about was a low fat and low carb. Saturated fats are not bad for you!
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    However, in healthy people, insulin only goes up in response to meals.
    But we're not talking about healthy people.

I do appreciate the links but they don't do anything to disprove the theory. Or is there something specific I missed that you think would give me a better understanding of the science?
  • fawnfatale
    fawnfatale Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I watched a video of Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt doing a presentation at AHS. I found it quite interesting, but to each their own. It's about 40 minutes long not including the Q & A at the end. I thought it was a well done presentation. Watch if you want, don't if you don't want. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSeSTq-N4U4
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I saw that video too, it's what led me to his site. Thanks for posting the link, fawnfatale. :)
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Roughly a quarter of obese humans have normal circulating insulin and normal insulin sensitivity ("metabolically healthy" obese) (9).
    In Pima (Akimel O'odham) native Americans, one of the most obesity-prone populations in the world, and certain other populations, insulin resistance and higher insulin secretion consistently predict less body fat gain over time (10, 11, 12, 12a, 12b). This has not been observed in all populations, but the fact that it occurs in some casts further doubt on the idea that elevated insulin is a central contributor to fat gain.

Researchers have been studying insulin's impact on food intake and body fatness for a long time, and among those who are the most intimately involved in the field, the idea that elevated insulin leads to body fat accumulation seemed rather unlikely by the late 1980s (13). Although biology is complex, and you can never be totally certain where scientific progress will lead, we have enough evidence at this point to say that this hypothesis is probably not correct. We now know that food intake is regulated by a complex 'symphony' of signals originating from the brain, fat tissue, the gastrointestinal tract and the pancreas, and insulin seems to play little or no role in this process on a meal-to-meal basis (14). In the long term, it may constrain food intake and body fat mass due to its actions in the brain, in a manner similar to leptin (although less potently).
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    While I can agree that some things might not be 100% right but I think the theory is compelling and the "rather unlikely" and "it mays" of the passage you quoted don't do anything to disprove it rather show that there's probably more to it--not that it doesn't have any merit.

I do appreciate the links highlighting the opposing point of view though. Thanks for sharing.
  • LesterBlackstone
    Options
    While I can agree that some things might not be 100% right but I think the theory is compelling and the "rather unlikely" and "it mays" of the passage you quoted don't do anything to disprove it rather show that there's probably more to it--not that it doesn't have any merit.

I do appreciate the links highlighting the opposing point of view though. Thanks for sharing.

You realize that scientists NEVER speak in absolutes, right? Whenever you hear someone speaking in absolutes, you can promptly disregard everything they have to say.

The insulin hypothesis was discarded by mainstream science over 30 years ago -- you just have a few clowns on the fringe still pimping this stuff.

They just happen to make more noise in the mainstream media.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I have little faith in mainstream science from 30 years ago--that's what got us into this mess in the first place. Is there an actual study that discredits this? Maybe Acg (I think that's his name) can link to something? He's seems pretty knowledgeable about the research out there.

But whether the insulin hypothesis turns out to be a bunch of BS or pure genius does that invalidate the recommendation to eat a low carb, high fat diet? At the end of the day that's what I'm interested in.
  • fawnfatale
    fawnfatale Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @Lesterblackstone

It's funny that you mention 30 years ago, as that's about the time the 'obesity epidemic' began. If you have the time you should watch the link I posted. Even if you don't agree with it all, he does have some interesting things to say.
  • LesterBlackstone
    Options
    I have little faith in mainstream science from 30 years ago--that's what got us in this mess in the first place. Is there an actual study that discredits this? Maybe Acg (I think that's his name) can link to something? He's seems pretty knowledgeable about the research out there.

But whether the insulin hypothesis turns out to be a bunch of BS or pure genius does invalidate the recommendation to eat a low carb, high fat diet? At the end of the day that's what I'm interested in.

Low carb diets work the exact same way that every other diet works - by creating a caloric deficit. If you find that you can adhere to them long term, then they're generally fine. But they aren't magic, and they're no more effective than low-fat, or moderate-carb, moderate-fat diets.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    This is correct. The number one cause of obesity is eating more calories than you burn. The only way to reverse obesity is to eat fewer calories than you burn. There may be things that influence the number of calories you burn at rest,(i.e. thyroid issues) but the bottom line is that caloric excess is the major contributing factor. Eating a healthy, balanced diet of mostly unprocessed foods at a moderate deficit will do more for fat loss and insulin regulation than any deprivation or loading of certain macros.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Low carb diets work the exact same way that every other diet works - by creating a caloric deficit. If you find that you can adhere to them long term, then they're generally fine. But they aren't magic, and they're no more effective than low-fat, or moderate-carb, moderate-fat diets.
    They don't work the same way--in just a few weeks I can tell you that. My appetite has decreased which causes me to eat less, of course, but that doesn't explain the why of it. I can also be hungry for the first time in years and have be just that--hunger--and not a need to eat every few hours to avoid feeling sick. That's just a personal anecdote after lowering my carbs for a few weeks but there's SOMETHING going on that has nothing to do with my will power or self control.

You might have missed these studies as well from the second link I gave:

RCTs showing significantly more weight loss with low carb diets

Shai I, et al. Weight loss with a low-carbohydrate, mediterranean, or low-fat diet. N Engl J Med 2008;359(3);229–41.
    Gardner CD, et al. Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and learn Diets for Change in Weight and Related Risk Factors Among Overweight Premenopausal Women. The a to z Weight Loss Study: A Randomized Trial. JAMA. 2007;297:969–977.

Brehm BJ, et al. A Randomized Trial Comparing a Very Low Carbohydrate Diet and a Calorie-Restricted Low Fat Diet on Body Weight and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Healthy Women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003;88:1617–1623.

Samaha FF, et al. A Low-Carbohydrate as Compared with a Low-Fat Diet in Severe Obesity. N Engl J Med 2003;348:2074–81.

Sondike SB, et al. Effects of a low-carbohydrate diet on weight loss and cardiovascular risk factor in overweight adolescents. J Pediatr. 2003 Mar;142(3):253–8.

Aude YW, et al. The National Cholesterol Education Program Diet vs a Diet Lower in Carbohydrates and Higher in Protein and Monounsaturated Fat. A Randomized Trial. Arch Intern Med. 2004;164:2141–2146.

Volek JS, et al. Comparison of energy-restricted very low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets on weight loss and body composition in overweight men and women. Nutrition & Metabolism 2004, 1:13.

Yancy WS Jr, et al. A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet versus a Low-Fat Diet To Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia. A Randomized, Controlled Trial. Ann Intern Med. 2004;140:769–777.

Nichols-Richardsson SM, et al. Perceived Hunger Is Lower and Weight Loss Is Greater in Overweight Premenopausal Women Consuming a Low-Carbohydrate/High- Protein vs High-Carbohydrate/Low-Fat Diet. J Am Diet Assoc. 2005;105:1433–1437.

Krebs NF, et al. Efficacy and Safety of a High Protein, Low Carbohydrate Diet for Weight Loss in Severely Obese Adolescents. J Pediatr 2010;157:252-8.

Summer SS, et al. Adiponectin Changes in Relation to the Macronutrient Composition of a Weight-Loss Diet. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011 Mar 31. [Epub ahead of print]

Halyburton AK, et al. Low- and high-carbohydrate weight-loss diets have similar effects on mood but not cognitive performance. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;86:580–7.

Dyson PA, et al. A low-carbohydrate diet is more effective in reducing body weight than healthy eating in both diabetic and non-diabetic subjects. Diabet Med. 2007 Dec;24(12):1430-5.

Keogh JB, et al. Effects of weight loss from a very-low-carbohydrate diet on endothelial function and markers of cardiovascular disease risk in subjects with abdominal obesity. Am J Clin Nutr 2008;87:567–76.

Volek JS, et al. Carbohydrate Restriction has a More Favorable Impact on the Metabolic Syndrome than a Low Fat Diet. Lipids 2009;44:297–309.

Daly ME, et al. Short-term effects of severe dietary carbohydrate-restriction advice in Type 2 diabetes–a randomized controlled trial. Diabet Med. 2006 Jan;23(1):15–20.

Westman EC, et al. The effect of a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet versus a low- glycemic index diet on glycemic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutr. Metab (Lond.)2008 Dec 19;5:36.
  • LesterBlackstone
    Options
    LOL

How many of these have you actually read? Or did you just copy/paste from some carbophobe site.

How many of them matched calories and protein? Metabolic ward studies (self reported data is ridiculously unreliable). Get back to me when you read and understand what the studies are saying.

Since we're playing the cut/paste game, why not use these (just about as relevant to the conversation)

Bailey T. The dummies guide to promoting wildlife conservation in the Middle East: telling tales of unicorns and ossifrages to save the hawk and leopard. J Avian Med Surg. 2011 Jun;25(2):136-43.

Hortin GL. Of immunounreactive urinary albumin and unicorns. Am J Clin Pathol. 2008 Aug;130(2):314-5.

O'Sullivan M. Unicorns or Tiger Woods: are lie detection experts myths or rarities? A response to on lie detection "wizards" by Bond and Uysal. Law Hum Behav. 2007 Feb;31(1):117-23.

Frenking G, Krapp A. Unicorns in the world of chemical bonding models. J Comput Chem. 2007 Jan 15;28(1):15-24. Review.

Sage WM, Kalyan DN. Horses or unicorns: can paying for performance make quality competition routine? J Health Polit Policy Law. 2006 Jun;31(3):531-56.

Simon L. Research into the origins and characteristics of unicorns: mental illness as the unicorn. Ethical Hum Sci Serv. 2000 Fall-Winter;2(3):181-92.

Askanas V, Engel WK. Unicorns, dragons, polymyositis, and other mythical beasts. Neurology. 2004 Jul 27;63(2):403-4; author reply 404.

Hagan JC 3rd. Unicorns, obstetricians, neurosurgeons--three things hard to find in Missouri. Mo Med. 2004 Jan-Feb;101(1):4-5.

Streiner DL. Unicorns do exist: a tutorial on "proving" the null hypothesis. Can J Psychiatry. 2003 Dec;48(11):756-61.

Amato AA, Griggs RC. Unicorns, dragons, polymyositis, and other mythological beasts. Neurology. 2003 Aug 12;61(3):288-9.

Howe EG. Unicorns, Carravaggio, and fetal surgery. J Clin Ethics. 2001 Winter;12(4):333-45.

Ariew R. Leibniz on the unicorn and various other curiosities. Early Sci Med. 1998 Nov;3(4):267-88.

Stahl FW. Unicorns revisited. Genetics. 1992 Dec;132(4):865-7.

Foster PL. Directed mutation: between unicorns and goats. J Bacteriol. 1992 Mar;174(6):1711-6.

Morreim EH. The law of nature and the law of the land: of horses, zebras, and unicorns. Pharos Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Med Soc. 1990 Spring;53(2):2-6.

[No authors listed] Editorial: Why unicorns? Med J Aust. 1976 May 15;1(20):728-9.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How many of them matched calories and protein? Metabolic ward studies (self reported data is ridiculously unreliable). Get back to me when you read and understand what the studies are saying.
    Show us a list of studies that meet your standards and show that low carb diets are worse please ? Seems to me they either come out better or the same,

I don't see why calories and protein should be matched, if a low carb diet has more protein than a high carb diet that's part of the story - comparing A with B. Likewise if people can happily eat 1200 calories on a self selected low carb diet but are sawing their fingers off on 1600 calories of high carb diet is this not an argument in favour of the low carb diet as well ?

I happen to agree that reasonably high protein and calorie control are important aspects, but if we're looking for a comparison between the **** people eat normally and something that will take weight off their overhanging gut we just need something that works, for whatever reason.

I'm not convinced insulin is the cause of obesity, but it inhibits lipolysis so when trying to lose weight the less of it the better.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    There's nothing supporting the theory that saturated fats cause heart disease that hasn't been discredited (that I'm aware of) and the Ornish diet I assume you're talking about was a low fat and low carb. Saturated fats are not bad for you!

Exactly. Saturated fats are needed so much for normal body function down to the cellular level.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

You realize that scientists NEVER speak in absolutes, right? Whenever you hear someone speaking in absolutes, you can promptly disregard everything they have to say.

The insulin hypothesis was discarded by mainstream science over 30 years ago -- you just have a few clowns on the fringe still pimping this stuff.

They just happen to make more noise in the mainstream media.

Of course it was ditched because that was the height of the low fat push and sugar was added to everything.........

Where has that gotten us? Fat, sick and very unhealthy.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    low carb for liiiiife.

http://i.imgur.com/lxfLV.jpg
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    @Lesterblackstone

It's funny that you mention 30 years ago, as that's about the time the 'obesity epidemic' began. If you have the time you should watch the link I posted. Even if you don't agree with it all, he does have some interesting things to say.

LMAO!!!!

Tooooooshay!!