is this normal?

Options
My whole life I have always eaten breakfast, but now sine I started MFP I have lost the urge to eat anything in the morning. I make myself eat at least a piece of cheese, but I'm just not hungry. Should I make myself eat anyways?

Replies

• leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I would say yes! I know it´ll be difficult. Maybe some yoghurt or a fruit or something. But eat something.
  • violetta88
    violetta88 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Generally I think breakfast is a good idea, but I wouldn't make yourself if you really, really don't want it - listen to what your body is telling you!

However do you find skipping breakfast makes you hungrier by mid-morning, or that you have less energy? If so I would say try to have something. If you're not hungry maybe try a smoothie?
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Definitely yes! Go with a yogurt or hard boiled egg & some fruit, even if it's dried fruit. Or a protein bar, cereal bar, granola bar, or fruit bar.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    yes i agree with the last post eat if your hungry, we all got to were we were by eating to much so maybe you just dont need it. i do now have very low call crispbreads 16 calls each with a smidgen of marmalade cos i was sick of being nagged at. but to have a full blown breakfast makes me feel sick.
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    Hmm I find it weird that it's since you started MFP - mainly because I love breakfast and even MFP won't interfere :P. I usually find it all depends what time I wake up - it's not so much the morning but more like an hour or two after waking. But exercising well and eating the right foods can affect my appetite (the more junk the more hungry, the more protein the less etc...) Everyone's different I guess. I always have a small glass of water once out of bed - it helps wake me up and stimulates my appetite. Regardless, still eat bfast since it is the most important meal of the day! :)

I used to do a lot of hiking. I know that we aren't talking about hiking - but on that cold mountain at 5am the last thing I wanted was to eat. If I didn't though there would be consequences down the line. Just work out your consequences and see if they are worth skipping breakfast for. Metabolic rate with & without bfast is something worth looking into. GL!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    No - you dont have to make yourself eat breakfast if you don't want to.....

Personally I eat my main meals at 11am, 3pm and 7pm (my version of intermittent fasting), and it works for me.

Not necessarily your issue, but a good article on why some of us don't believe in eating breakfast...

http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to eat something in the morning if you don't want to. So long as you are meeting your calorie goal for the day you can eat later on in the day.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I would eat a little something... It gets your metabolism fired up each time you eat. I'm not saying force yourself to eat, but a piece of fruit or something just to let your body know "Hey, there is an abundance of food out here and your don't have to hoard the calories for later"

I'm not saying make it the biggest meal of the day... just a little something!
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    oh yes eat something to fuel your body
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I forgot to add that I am a teacher so I usually ate around 6am and now that I'm off for the summer I'm not up at 5am anymore, I'm up later so perhaps thats why my eating schedule has been off
  • tammyandzach
    tammyandzach Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that it is good to eat something within 30 minutes of getting up to break the fast and kickstart your metabolism.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat if you aren't hungry. There's no benefit to it in terms of weight loss (despite conventional wisdom that you're doing something horrible to yourself if you don't eat first thing in the morning). Besides, you won't enjoy it and you won't have those calories left to eat something later if you do feel hungry at some point.

I usually don't eat until around noon (and I wake up at 7AM on the dot every morning for some reason). The times I eat in the morning, I usually feel horrible all day, constantly hungry and irritable. So I don't do it. There's no rule saying you have to.