cottage cheese dips?

Options
Magenta15
Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
Has anyone tried this??

Ok so Im not a huge fan of cottage cheese, i mean i dont mind the taste, i love it in lasagna, but to do the whole cottage cheese and fruit mix or what have you...

:noway: nope, can't do it. the texture weirds me the freak out lol. who knows maybe i'll get there...

but i somewhere i read something about dip? here? not sure, i dont think so though...

i love dip! chips and dip, veg and dip, pretzels and dip...but i stay away from it as a couple tbsp is usually what 100 cals at least?

so cottage cheese = protein and at only 100 cal per 1/2 cup [for 2%] say you even eat a whole 1/4 cup with your veg that's still only 50 cals of dip! :noway: well + whatever you use to make your dip seasoning, but still way less then reg dip and more nutritionally sound? has anyone tried this?

I just made an onion one and a dill one, they are setting now.
I have high hopes for this for tomorrow's munchies lol pretzels and veggies for my midday snack.

*crosses fingers*

each recipe called for 2 cups cottage cheese and 1/4 cup of milk

i didn't want to make that much of one dip incase i didn't like it,
so i blended the 2 cups with the milk til it was smooth:bigsmile:
then divided in 2

in one i did the standard easy ol onion soup mix [only half]
and in the other i did dill :)

:drinker: let you know how it goes tomorrow lol,

I also found an alfredo recipe that calls for using blended cottage cheese, will let you know how that goes too if i try it :)

Replies

• ctucker07
    ctucker07 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I make a spinach dip with blended cottage cheese and light cream cheese and it's awesome. I'm the same as you, the texture grosses me out but I can do it blended no problem. It's kinda like thick sour cream.
  • Magenta15
    Options
    woot! i may have to sample tonight just a lil bite :)

hmmm spinach dip. mine usually consists of 1c light dressing/mayo and 1 cup sour cream, so in theory i should be able to replace the sour cream and or all of the above with my cottage cheese? add my thawed spinach and seasonings and hope for the best? :bigsmile:
  • kimberjones
    Options
    PLEASE!!!! let me know how these dips turn out. I can't STAND!! the texture and plain taste of cottage cheese - it weirds me out too! :noway: ewwwwww!

I would love a healthy, tasty dip for my carrots and broccoli (I LOVE carrots & broccoli!!).

I'll anxiously await the news!

(also please let me know how the spinach dip with cottage cheese works out for you!:happy: )

:flowerforyou:
  • Magenta15
    Options
    ok i prefer dips that have set and chilled overnight, but i just had a taste taste and so far so good!
    yayyyyy:drinker:

I may have to get a lil single serving of chippies to pass the real taste test tomorrow lol :laugh:
    [hmmm halloween is coming those lil trick or treat chippy bags will be perfect guilt free size.]

just be sure to add the milk and blend real good! :)
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of cottage cheese, either. But I may give these a try for my next dip session. Thanks!:happy:
  • scoobdoob808
    Options
    Hope the cottage cheese dip worked out well. I

have found a great fat free sour cream that you might like to try for dips. I cannot remeber the name but it is in a container with cow print on it I found it at Walmart and it is soo good for being fat free, I seriously cannot tell the differnce, and then it is only 20 calories per 2 TBS and you can mix it with any type of dressing mix (ranch, onion, veggie dip mix) etc. We actually use this a lot of times for our salads, I just make it a bit runnier for salads by adding a little bit of skim or 1% milk, much better than hidden valley or kraft which is even terrible in the lite mode. HTH
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    OVER Here!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait, you said dips?

I thought you said hips!

Never mind:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love my cottage cheese. I eat it with triscuits for breakfast all the time!:flowerforyou:
  • ctucker07
    ctucker07 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hmmm spinach dip. mine usually consists of 1c light dressing/mayo and 1 cup sour cream, so in theory i should be able to replace the sour cream and or all of the above with my cottage cheese? add my thawed spinach and seasonings and hope for the best? :bigsmile:

I think you could as long as you blend it really well. With the spinach dip I make I blend a container of cottage cheese and half a block of light cream cheese and you can't notice the texture at all! And sometimes I mix in some salsa, yummy yummy!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've used cottage cheese to make ranch dressing. It works awesome and tastes just like the regular, full calorie, full fat versions. There are no weird textures or flavors from using the cottage cheese. I use it with salads, veggies, and chicken, anything I would like ranch with. I actually made this a few weeks ago when I served dinner for 12 people. Everyone was excited that I made homemade dressing. They raved about how good it was. I never told them it was a diet version!!!

I use 3/4 c cottage cheese, 1/4 c olive oil mayo, 1/4 c milk, and 2 tbsp buttermilk powder (with the dry milk powder in the baking isle). You can either use Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix or your own seasoning. I'm not a huge fan of the packaged mixes myself, so I came up with my own seasoning recipe but I don't have it with me now. Throw everything in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. If you like your dressing a little thicker, hold the milk out and stream it in at the end until it is the desired consistency. It is only 45 calories for 2 tbsp.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I love my cottage cheese. I eat it with triscuits for breakfast all the time!:flowerforyou:

I'm with you! I'm obsessed with cottage cheese! It's lowfat with tons of protein AND delicious!

As far as dips---I've mixed the ranch dip powder (calls for mixing with sour cream) with low fat cottage cheese and I thought it was fab in a pinch.

I also mix cottage cheese with spinach, artichoke hearts, minced garlic, salt and pepper and Cabot seriously sharp cheddar (there's a lowfat option). Bake at 350 for about 20 min for a lowfat version of the spinach and artichoke dips you get in restaurants! I usually toast some whole wheat pita bread instead of chips. :glasses: