DOES AGE AFFECT WEIGHT LOSS?

Options
Of course we all remember when we could eat anything and everything and still lose weight. Cutting back on portions, carbs, sugars, as well as increasing cardio and resistance training why is my weight loss so slow???::sad: :sad:

Replies

• charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was concerned that losing weight would not be as easy now that I am approaching my 60th birthday but am finding that not to be the case. I am not doing high intensity exercise - I'm just walking 2 - 3 miles a day and putting in a half hour or so on my exercise bike. I started here at MFP in mid-April and so far have lost around 16 pounds and am quite pleased with my progress. Your diary is not open so I can't see what and how much you are eating but maybe that's where your problem lies - you may not be eating enough to replace what you expend in exercise. I generally eat back my exercise calories enough to make sure that my daily caloric intake ends up above my BMR and below my TDEE.
  • animalshaverights
    Options
    I do 1200 calories; I exersize by walking, going to the gym, and pilates ribbons at home...I know there have been days when h2O was not that great, and I do tend to retain water on hot days. I have joined a structured weight loss program, maybe I am my worse enemy......the good news is: even with a retarded weight loss, I am wearing two sizes smaller and have more energy...But why doesn't all this improvement show up on the weigh-ins?
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was never able to eat anything I wanted and stay thin, unfortunately. BUT, I have never found it difficult to lose weight, either. I am 45 and just recently dropped about 35 pounds without any trouble at all. The hard part is maintenance, but that's only because I tend to go back to my old ways over time. But this time, I'm pretty determined to stick with what I know works!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You begin losing muscle around 40 so your metabolism will be slowed as a result of less muscle - you can obviously slow that though by weight training. I'm 47 and it' s a constant battle!
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and have been losing steady at 1200 cals. About 8 lbs a month. Committed to logging and doing exercises. Slow but making a big difference.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Its slow for me too. But its worth the wait. :)
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    OMG! Yes! my body clings to my weight. 10 years ago- I had results over night. now- it's not just harder to lose weight, but WHERE it lands on my body is different, too! your whole shape starts to change.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and losing at a steady rate, 55.2 pounds since 2/24/12. I thought it would be very hard to lose. I had never tried before. It is easier than I thought it would be. I just have to be dedicated and stay on track. I'm pretty OCD over it! lol
  • nemrut
    nemrut Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It is slower for me, but I am finally losing with MFP after several years of creeping up on the scale. Not obsessing and keeping on track seems to work...it's tough not to stress through some plateaus, but in the end the scale eventually goes down again. Aging and losing weight both seem to play a part, since the BMR decreases with both, so it really helps to keep track of those changes and adjust the calorie intake.
  • GoJo65
    GoJo65 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    OMG! Yes! my body clings to my weight. 10 years ago- I had results over night. now- it's not just harder to lose weight, but WHERE it lands on my body is different, too! your whole shape starts to change.

Same with me! I don't even recognize it anymore! :indifferent:
  • kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    well i am only 21 and the weight comes off very very very slowly..even with healthy eating and exercising.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Same with me! But what can I do? just keep trying.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    Our hormones, sedentary lifestyle and slower metabolism all effect our ability to lose/not gain weight as we age. Undiagnosed health issues can work against us as well so i've heard that if your over 40 you should probably get a workup done with your docter to insure that you dont have any underlying conditions. With that said i think the real reason we have trouble losing weight is that it took many years for most of us to gain the weight and its hard to break the habits we have developed. I've got friends on here who have been very succesful but it doesnt happen over night. In fact it may take a year or more for you to see significant results which is why its important to remember its a lifestyle not a diet. You may never get back to the weight/fitness level you were at in your 20's but getting and staying active combined with a 15-20 lb weight loss has remarkable health benefits. My best friend has lost 20 lbs, walks each day and she has had her BP meds cut in half plus she feels great. She's diabetic and hopes to eliminate that medication as well or at least keep her blood sugar levels consistent. give it your best, try to find exercise that works for you and remember you can do this if you want it bad enough!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    In my 30s it was harder than my 20s and now in my 40s it is SLOW. I'm 41 and eating right and exercising and losing 1-1.5 lbs a week where before I would drop 2-3. The inches aren't falling away as easily either. I'm not giving up though! I think I'm more determined now than in my 20s! I can only imagine what it will be like in my 50s, so best to get fit now so it will be easier then
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and also losing steadily- ten pounds this month. (and ten piddling about before I joined MFP). I didn't gain it overnight, so it won't vanish overnight either! I'm pleased so far- but did just join a gym and hire a trainer to ensure I gain fitness as well as lose the weight.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I ate whatever I wanted for my entire life with no weight issues, then reached 38 or 39 and suddenly it didn't work that way anymore:angry: Now I still eat treats every day but in order to stay at my current weight or lose any wt, I have to be careful, mostly just on portion size. Kinda stinks!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I"m 64 and according to my calculations I should be losing a clear 3 lbs per week and I'm losing 2.2

I'm starting more intense weight training this week and maybe that will help
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Of course we all remember when we could eat anything and everything and still lose weight.
    I don't, I've never been able to eat anything I want =/ I don't think age really affects weight loss that much, though I know my 15-year-old brother can eat about 12,000 calories a day and not worry about his weight
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Seems your metabolism changes as you get older. I remember being able to eat vast amounts and never put on an ounce.
    But I don't think weight loss is any more difficult as you get older. Get a calorie deficit going and you will lose weight - can take a little while and have some ups and downs but I guarantee if you stick to it the method works
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hormonal status slows us down too. Much different now that im post menopausal than anytime before. I too have lost over 12 inches but only so far 9.4 lbs. Its painfully slow but the exercise (walking/a little running and JM DVD) has definitely started changing my shape.