Cardio for a foot injury

Options
I tore a ligament in my foot a few days ago and I am unable to put ANY weight on it without it hurting. I was wondering what type of cardio I could do. I tried the exercise bike, but I can't use that because it hurts my foot, and I don't currently have access to a pool. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• eeeCharlee
    eeeCharlee Posts: 13
    Options
    bump
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    IMO, other than swimming I would say weight lifting to get the heart rate up. Using crutches and going for a 'walk' on them because you can get some exertion from using the crutches and the foot gets a rest.. Or using a punching bag for the arm workout? What about a rowing machine?
  • eeeCharlee
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely try the punches/ab workout and the rowing machine at the gym, and walking with crutches when I get them on Monday :)
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    IMO, other than swimming I would say weight lifting to get the heart rate up. Using crutches and going for a 'walk' on them because you can get some exertion from using the crutches and the foot gets a rest.. Or using a punching bag for the arm workout? What about a rowing machine?

Cardio is almost synonymous with legs, but these are some great suggestions to get the heart going despite your injury. Especially the punching bag or shadowboxing.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    I tore a ligament last week and my doctor said NO cardio, not even swimming for 2 months. now a week after the incident, my foot starts to look like a foot again, but I still can't "use" it properly. sleeping without a bandage hurts, so I really try not to push it. after all, if you overdo it within the first 3 weeks, there might be complications in the future.

i take advantage of the crutches i got, whenever my family is going grocery shopping, i go with them. not much of a calorie burn but a great training for your back and arms.

give your body time to heal, i know it sucks not being able to do anything, but if you start too soon, you'll regret it later :/
  • mellyjonz
    mellyjonz Posts: 4
    Options
    First off, did you see a doctor? You should really get an official diagnosis, find out if you need surgery and follow the directions of your physician. Having had 14 (yes 14!) surgeries on my foot/ankle and knee over the past 6 years, I can say you don't want to mess with it. You will likely only be able to do compound exercises, non-weight bearing on one leg with a band until you heal. Good luck!
  • eeeCharlee
    Options
    I saw a doctor yesterday. I got an xray taken to make sure nothing was broken, and it was confirmed that I tore a ligament. My doctor said exercise is okay as long as it doesn't hurt my foot. It only hurts when I put pressure on it and there was no visible swelling.
    I'm just going to go easy on it for at least a week and I'll just lift weights, etc. and thanks!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Be nice to your foot and stay off it as much as possible, it'll be better for you in the long run. In the mean time, shadowbox like it's your job.