weight gain=menstration

Options
I know this may be TMI (too much info) for some but I am wondering if there is any truth to weight gain while menstrating. I am frustrated that this is my second week and I had a gain. I stayed under my calorie goal by about 500 every day with exercise except one where I was over by less than 200. Last week I lost 2 pounds and gained 1.5 of it back. I have increased my water to my goal of 64 ounces to combat the water weight. Advice?

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Every single time my TOM comes I gain. It's normal.
  • cervenec
    cervenec Posts: 64
    Options
    Most women gain water weight/bloat before, and a bit during their period. I personally gain 2 pounds every period, on top of my daily fluctuations. It should go away in a week. :)
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I'm expecting TOM within the next two days and I had a gain this morning. No worries, it goes away :)
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    So, I will I see a "bigger" loss next week or will I be back on track...thanks again for letting me know that it is normal.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I don't lose that fast so if I start at 155, I'll go up to 156-157 during my TOM and then drop back down to 155 when it's over. If I'm lucky I'll lose the next week.
  • nikcasso
    nikcasso Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yup.. I stop lossing two week before and then have huge losses Two day after I start. I am frustrated so I put my scale away and will only weigh in once a month...two days after I start :) Gives me time to notice how I feel and and not just the number on the scale.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thank you. My very supportive husband says I should only weigh in monthly so that I do not focus on the weight. I am doing this as way of life not for a diet. I truly appreicate all of your support.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I just went through 15 pages to see if there was a thread about this. I had a 7lb loss last week and now nothing. My cycle starts in a few days so maybe that's why I've halted. Thanks ladies :-)
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I put on 3-6 pounds during that time. It usually comes off within a week of it ending. Drink lots of water. Most of it is water retention.
  • Southernsass6885
    Southernsass6885 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I add about 2-5 lbs around then. It all depends. Completely normal.
  • SWink06
    SWink06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I lost 8 pounds of water weight from yesterday morning to this morning due to TOM. I was so frustrated last week with my weight gain, but I knew it was water weight. So glad to have it off.
  • RosemarieSenpai
    RosemarieSenpai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's normal for me too! I end up eating BIG meals prior to my period then the next few hours or so... Well... You know.
    I gain between 1 - 2 pounds when it happens.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Wait what?? Back up. You are 500 calories UNDER your goal a day? You should be 0 calories under your goal a day.
  • latinstarlite1
    latinstarlite1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    One thing you can always do if you do decide to weigh once a month, is to keep track of your measurements. They are a truer indication of success. The scale lies! Especially if you are working out and building muscle. You may gain weight due to the muscle gain but lose inches due to the loss of fat.
  • jadedjade24
    jadedjade24 Posts: 127
    Options
    I can always tell when the Red Dragon is right around the corner before any signs show up, because the scale jumps! I am not very regular in the slightest! But remember, the scale is NOT always right. It is possible to see the scale numbers rise but actually be MORE fit than at the lower weight ^_^ Keep up the good work!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I think it's true. I start to gain a bit two weeks before TOM shows up.. there have been other times though where I have been very physically active and have lost weight before, during and after TOM. Beware of weighing and measuring two weeks or less before TOM is due if you get discouraged easily
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Why are you coming in 500 cals under your calorie limit?
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Forget it the week of my menstrual cycle, I'm just like MEH I'm going to gain at least 5 lbs. And move on.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I think it must be bloating/water retention. For example: last week (TOM) I weighed in at 129.6 and 128.4, but this week, I have weighed 126 and 125. Tomorrow I will weigh on the digital scale, but it shows how much you can fluctuate between TOM and not.
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    menstruation comes with bloating. it must be the bloating. it ain't your fault!