Sales Pitch, Truth or bit of both?

2»

Replies

• cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Sales pitch, definitely. Sounds like you have a healthy approach already.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Sounds like a sales pitch to me, but I'm VERY anti gym so I may be biased. I would think any trainer worth their salt should know that BIA is just not that accurate unless you control as many variables as possible. Let me give you an example of just how crazy the swings can be with using BIA to judge % body fat: Last night about an hour after a run, I jumped on my scale and it told me by % BF was 27.7%. I took a shower and went to bed. When I got up this morning, the same scale told me 39.6%. Obviously I didn't put on 12% body fat overnight! I think the real number is somewhere in between those readings.

While I still will use BIA to judge my % body fat, I have to be very careful to keep things as consistent as possible. For example, try to sleep roughly the same amount the night before. I take the reading at the same time & make sure I DON'T do a hard workout within 24-36 hours. I avoid high sodium foods the day before. I try as much as possible to make sure my "bathroom time" is about the same. When you control all those things, you can get readings that are within a very few % from week to week. Any other use is just asking for trouble in my opinion.
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Thank you all for your replies! You are all so encouraging. The progress has been slow but healthy at 1 lb a week, but when you like instant gratification it seems to be taking forever.

I had asked about 1 session a week, then I can take what I learn and do it the rest of the week. But apparently with her it's all or nothing. I did feel like it was a major sales pitch, complete with the "I almost have a full client list, so if you don't jump on board now, you might not be able to sign up later". I came home and cried with the frustration of it all. My hubby wanted to go and have words with her :explode:

A couple weeks ago I did a 45 minute free session with this trainer. I didn't enjoy it. I really enjoy what I'm currently doing which means I'll be able to stick to it. I have been feeling great. And as for food, I don't feel like I've been depriving myself with MFP.

I've decided to stay the course, maybe getting up a little earlier and doing 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights. Thank you all for your support!