Beetroot

Options
Trutra
Trutra Posts: 131 Member
My mum has put a bunch of fresh beetroot. How exactly do you cook it? Any ideas appreciated! Thanks

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Is beetroot any different than beets?

I've always seen those pickled, or used in stews like borscht.

I had an aunt that would make a beet cake - it was made a little like carrot cake, I think, but with shredded beets instead. She added mini chocolate chips, and maybe there was cocoa powder in the batter (?) and cream cheese icing. It was really dense and a little earthy-tasting but SO good! You'd probably have to google "beet cake" recipes, and I doubt they'd be healthy. lol - I'm helpful.
  • RCSimmonds
    RCSimmonds Posts: 22
    Options
    They are really delicious roasted. Quite a sweet taste.
  • waveindigo
    waveindigo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Roasted is yum! You can also boil them (peel first and they will turn the water red) or just grate them raw.
    You can make a really nice salad with grated beetroot, grated carrot, a few chopped dates, pinenuts and a lemon juice/olive oil dressing too
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I grate them raw and saute in olive oil with some onions. I love it that way :)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Wrap each one in foil and bake. Once they're done (45 minutes or so) you can peel them very easily. They are so good, roasted.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The way I know best is to boil them. Trim the stems, but leave about 1 inch of it on. Don't trim off the stringy root ends before boiling, either. These two precautions will lessen the amount of colour (and therefore nutrients) that bleed out into the water. Boil until tender throughout, cool them enough that your fingers won't burn from handling them, and then the outer skins (complete with stems ad stringy root ends) will slip off quite easily in your hands.