arthritis in knees

Options
2»

Replies

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I walk 3 miles at a time with my knees. No cartilage on either medial surface, weight bearing exercising not recommended.
    Did my first Zumba class today, adjusted some moves to decrease stress. Oh, I also tore ligaments when I was younger and have a ton of scarring and floating debris in my right knee. My rheumo says I have the knees of a 90 y/o. I am now doing weights to further increase my leg muscle strength. I started my weight loss journey with 10 minute stints on the bike, then my elliptical. I even walked 5.5 miles through Hollywood once (last .5 mile was BAD!)

DO what you can, go slow and let your muscles adjust and strengthen.

Keep hydrated...it goes to the lubrication in your knees as well!
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I started reading your post and I was wondering "when did I write this?" Doesn't this just suck? I cant even speed walk any more. At home I use the Tony Little Gazelle as my main form of cardio; chair dancing, light weights, body blade. I do the stationary bike, eliptical, and whatever else I can do seated at the gym. But cripes I miss walking to killer music. Now I walk to ballads. But I smile through it and thank creation that I can still walk and exercise, just cant do what my knees dont want me to do. and like you, its severe.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It is much better now that I have lost 50 lbs. Walking and running does not bother it, but squats are a killer. I say do what you can. try biking that might be easier! Good Luck.
  • RicSnyder
    RicSnyder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What you are doing, losing weight, will help as much as anything.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have pretty severe arthritis in my knees. I'm not experiencing a ton of pain, but i've been told (based on xrays) that it's really bad and i need to refrain from making it worse. NOt supposed to do squats, lunges, running ... pretty much can't do the stuff i love and the stuff that works:/ Gonna finish up my p90x (cuz i'm stubborn) but was told i shouldn't do that either.

Any recommendations? I don't want to go to something so easy that my body laughs at me....

I'm too young to be dealing with this :(

Look up trigger point charts on the web and self treat sore spots in your muscles around knee/thigh/shin/hamstring area. Worked wonders for me.
  • dellashanks
    dellashanks Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Try taking glucosamine. I have heard that combined with Omegas work wonders. I need to do this myself because I can hear my knees grind when I do squats. Years of working on my feet. Also I would reduce trigger foods like tomatoes. There's a list on line some where. My sister has come leaps and bounds using these methods.
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    For once, I can give back with some knowledge. I had eight surgeries before finally having to have both of my knees replaced at the same time, due to arthritis. Before the knee replacement, I tried to be as active as possible, but when you are in chronic pain, you are afraid to do much, as you are fearful you will activate the monters in your knees. I almost became a recluse, as I was afraid to get too far from my car or my home. Even got corizone shots multiple times, and would feel great for a minute in time. Got the synvisc shots twice, and eventually, finally knew it was time to have surgery. I know losing weight did and has done wonders for me, even ten pounds made a difference. Stengthen the muscles around your knee caps to stalize them. Do leg extensions even without weights, as it helps, but if you add weights, watch for pain and back off. Make sure if you work the front of your legs, you lay on your stomach and do leg lifts to work the back of your leg muscles. Things have to work in tandum, as being off balance with your muscles puts strain on your knees. Use a stationary bike, I could not use the recumbant bike, it put too much pressure on my knees. Try wrapping them with an ace bandage to stablize them when walking and excercising. Use ice and if need be anti-inflamatories. Don't continue to do things to your knees like lifing heavy weights, as it will ruin your knees, and eventually, you will need new knees. And I am telling you, there is nothing like your original parts. Now, I have had to modify everything I do. I am now more active though, as the daily pain is gone, but if I lift something too heavy, it brings on pain. If I stand too long, or walk too far, the pain comes back. Be careful with what you have, be active and best of luck.
  • Scouter123
    Scouter123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do you know how to (or like to) swim? It's a bit more hassle to get to a pool but it's a non-weightbearing exercise that is much easier on your joints and is excellent cardio. Aqua-fit classes might be an option if you can't swim. Other posters are right too, losing weight will help protect your joints as will have less force of your own body weight going thru them even with regular basic activities. Maybe consider an appointment with a physical therapist for some specific exercises to train the muscles around your knees and more advice about what to avoid. Balance activity with rest as well. Good luck.