Who else is on 1200 calories per day?

Options

Replies

• Igoligirl
    Igoligirl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    hello from across the oceans!

I am on a 1400 calorie diet that my doctor said would be ideal for weight loss. She highly suggested this site (I was already on it) and South Beach Diet. I Downloaded it from Kindle onto my Computer and have been using the system, just modifying the recipes a bit for things I can't get here (I live in Maine, so nothing exotic unfortunately). I have been doing great on it and can even sneak in the occassional ice cream cone like I did last night ;)

Add me if you need some encouragement, but yeah, South Beach is awesome, if it is stuck to and used correctly.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to be eating 1200 but I eat around 800 on a regular day. Which is not good either so I've been trying to eat more. I share my diary with my friends only so feel free to add me if you'd like :p.

I don't eat meat so I find that in itself makes it pretty easy to not go over calories. I eat beans (chickpeas) a lot. A lot of veggies - steamed veggies and salad. I eat fruit too. Oats are very filling and I put Splenda or brown sugar in them. Just a bit of brown sugar to sweeten them up. I have been eating nuts (almonds) lately because I've been trying to increase my calories with something good :p.

Shirataki noodles are also amazing. Oh and tofu too. yum.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I am x3! A lunch or dinner idea that's extremely filling for me is:

Tuna Avocado Sandwich
    1/2 can of tuna in water (4 ounce can) ~ 50 calories
    1/2 ripe avocado ~ 150 calories
    Two slices of low cal bread ~ 90-100?

+ whatever spices and additions you'd like, I like sriracha or tabasco with some pepper~

Just smash up the avocado until it's like a paste and stir in the tuna, it's a better alternative to mayonnaise x3.

Give or take, it will be a little less or a little over 300 calories, but extremely filling @.@! Plus, drink lots of water with your meals, it will make you fuller faster ;3.

Totally awesome idea! I've been trying to figure out the tuna without mayo - don't even like mayo. I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow.
  • jennaryan1205
    jennaryan1205 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can add me and take a look at mine if you want. I stay between 1200-1400. MFP has me set at 1200, but I work out 5 days a week so I occasionally go over and dip into my exercise cals, but I don't force myself to eat them. And I do have an occasional treat.
  • jennaryan1205
    jennaryan1205 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was but then I started working out a lot more which is awesome since I get to eat 1500-1800 to net 1200. I snack mainly on apples, almonds or lean turkey on half a multi-grain English muffin.

Drinking a TON of water helps. Throw in some Crystal Light or just lemon juice and it's got some flavour to it which is nice.

English muffins are my new favorite thing, you can do anything with them!!! Fat free cream cheese with strawberries, or peanut butter for the sweet tooth, some egg whites to make a breakfast sandwich, I've even tried pizza sauce, mozz, and turkey pepperonis and made mini pizzas.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 a day. Lots of fruit and veggies is your best bet. And then I use exercise calories if I need extra calories for the day (snacks, extra food, etc.) And don't forget water! The best advice is 8 ounces before your meal, eat, drink 8 more ounces. And then 8 ounces between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. That will get you your 64 ounces for the day.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My doctor has me on 1200 calories a day. I like grilled zucchini, onions, mushrooms, etc. I have a fresh tomato from my garden that I am adding today :) I find that a REALLY good way to stretch my calories is to make some light homemade soups. One I like is Onion, zucchini and yellow squash, tomato, potato...all boiled together with salt and pepper...very simple, but very filling. I am on the lookout for some new low cal soup recipes, so let me know if you have any ideas.

Good luck to all on their journeys!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've focused on netting 1200 calories a day, which means the more I work out, the more I can eat! So -- I work out a lot. :smile:
  • csmith2884
    Options
    I do works well for me...friend me and you can see anything I eat, day by day going back almost six months.
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200, but you shouldn't feel bad about going over your calories. They say 1200 is the bare minimum. I've discovered that if I go over by 500 calories I will still be a few pounds lighter in a few weeks! And I have had days like that for SURE. But it's not the end of the world! Log your food and then the next days you can do better! :)
  • thomakg
    thomakg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it to 1200 - but sometimes get thrown off by a few glasses of wine. I've ended up eating relatively low carb, because I've cut out most refined foods, breads and junk food. Eating cleaner definitely makes staying under the limit easier. Now if I could just find a no-cal substitute that tastes as good as wine....
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Double that and then some...yep 2550 a day...what do you think happens when you go back to eating normal? Or are you planning to eat 1200 cals the REST OF YOUR LIFE? Oh yeah, my exercise is some light walking (the dog) and lifting 2-3 times a week.
  • smcneely121
    smcneely121 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories a day. It's weird though because since I started this site and realized how much I was eating before, I don't get as hungry. It has been hard for me to even eat 1200 calories. I keep coming up like 400 calories short everyday The site says I may be putting me body into starvation mode but I am not hungry, so I don't know what to do.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I eat about twice that much in a day.

Then again, I'm 6' and weigh over 220 lbs. :P
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    i like making wraps... just using tortillas... chicken or steak... ( u could also use fish or turkey or whatever ) and any kinda veggie u want usually ends around 260 calories and so filling and so tasty!
  • pursuitoffitness
    Options
    Me! Exercising allows you to eat more.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I am as well, but I still eat anything I want within my goals.. That includes booze. My meals are usually between 200-400 each.

skinnytaste.com has a lot of wonderful recipes that can fit into your calories. Everything in moderation. :D
  • aaz271
    aaz271 Posts: 4
    Options
    I've been really busy with classes and have found it easy to stick with 1200 calories. One day I eat 1400, and the next day I will eat 1000. I like to switch it up (:

The thing that makes or breaks me is breakfast. If I eat 300 calories, I end up barely hitting my goal. I like to drink the new V8 smoothies in the morning (strawberry banana!) for 120 calories. That keeps me going for 6 hours! I haven't had time to exercise which is why I'm probably not very hungry :P
  • mysweetestdreams
    mysweetestdreams Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am as well. Though I don't find it that hard to follow it, as I exercise part of them back. I think I on average eat around 1600, which is more than enough to prepare healthy, nutritious AND diverse meals, plus have a snack, as I burn those 400 off.
    Also, for me, filling on fruit works, I'm in UK as well atm and canary melons and nectarines seem to be in season, and gosh they are filling :D
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 as well and it was a little tough at first, but I've learned a lot about the way I WAS eating. Calories are much more precious to me now. ;)

I do a LOT of cardio, I aim for about 45 minutes a day, so I end up coming in under 1200 frequently, especially with the fresh veggies coming into season. Really filling and nutritious without a ton of calories. I was concerned that I was often coming in over my protein, but when I did a little more research into it, I discovered I could actually safely be eating far more than MFP had me set for. Do a little outside investigating; it pays off!