I finally ditched the Smith!!

Options
I've been lifting for about 9 months and have been terrified to use the squat rack (mostly using the excuse of "bad knees"). I always opted for Smith squats instead. Well, today I finally decided that my "I can't do real squats attitude" was not going to get me to my goals. I not only did it, I was able to squat my own body weight for 10 reps. I am pretty dang proud of myself and feeling so empowered!!

Just wanted to share my victory for the day:happy:

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for about 9 months and have been terrified to use the squat rack (mostly using the excuse of "bad knees"). I always opted for Smith squats instead. Well, today I finally decided that my "I can't do real squats attitude" was not going to get me to my goals. I not only did it, I was able to squat my own body weight for 10 reps. I am pretty dang proud of myself and feeling so empowered!!

Just wanted to share my victory for the day:happy:

Nice job!!

Oddly you'd be more likely to injure yourself in the long run on the Smith Machine than with a free barbell.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. The smith machine is like training wheels that train you to do it wrong. You've entered a whole new world.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Nice job!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. The smith machine is like training wheels that train you to do it wrong. You've entered a whole new world.

Totally agreed here. All I used that machine for is push ups and pull ups, lol. Enjoy your squats!!! They'll make your butt incredible!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    you'd be more likely to injure yourself in the long run on the Smith Machine than with a free barbell.

this

congrats!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    you'd be more likely to injure yourself in the long run on the Smith Machine than with a free barbell.

Totally don't want to take over your thread but I am just starting out NROLFW and am currently using the Smith Machine. Should I stop now and just move to unassisted squats. I am not a total beginner to fitness, just free weights.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Totally don't want to take over your thread but I am just starting out NROLFW and am currently using the Smith Machine. Should I stop now and just move to unassisted squats. I am not a total beginner to fitness, just free weights.

I'd definitely try to do unassisted (or better yet, get someone to spot you). In all honesty, it felt more natural and I was able to squat 40lbs more than on the Smith. I won't be going back to the Smith!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options

I'd definitely try to do unassisted (or better yet, get someone to spot you). In all honesty, it felt more natural and I was able to squat 40lbs more than on the Smith. I won't be going back to the Smith!

Thanks! I will try tomorrow!