Immediately napping after eating dinner.

Options
I get home after work around 4:30 p.m. and eat dinner around 4:45p.m, then I'd take an hour to two hour nap immediately. Is this ok and does it effect my weight loss?

Replies

• agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    When you sleep your body slows everything down, your heart beats slower, your breathing slows and since those systems slow it slows the function of the rest of your body including your digestive track. So napping right after eating means that your body is not digesting the food in the most efficient manner. So in my humble oppinion, it is not good to nap directly after eating.
  • Jess22207
    Options
    i agree because when youre napping immediatly after your not up and moving either so you arent working off any of the calories you just ate...i try to stay up an hour or two after i have eattin anything

happy friday:drinker:
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm going to respectfully disagree...while it's probably not the best for digestion, I don't believe that it really matters from a caloric standpoint. You don't really burn the calories you just ate - they have to be metabolized and added to your system first anyway, so IMO as long as your calorie deficit target is met, and your overall sleep time is appropriate for one day, I don't think it matters in what order you eat, sleep and exercise.

From your profile pic, you have a handful to look after - if eating then and then napping gets you through the day, then go with what works!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I agree with paddlemom, as long as you have a deficit you are still going to lose. The idea of not eating right before you sleep has more to do with digestive issues and sleep problems than weight loss. As long as you haven't had issues with either of those, you're probably okay. Since you have little ones, I say get the sleep when you can.
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I need to also add that right after I get up from my nap, I go to the gym and burn about 500-600 calories. Then I usually just have a light snack afterwards. I exercise during my lunch break and burn about 300 cals, so a day I'll burn about 800 cals.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it if you are hitting the gym right after. The whole "late night eating" thing is more about adding in extra calories than it is eating right before bed. If you stop losing weight, just change it up and see if that helps, but as long as you are still losing I wouldn't worry about it.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I'll just add that I've found that a meal high in carbs made me sleepy, whereas a protein packed one with lots of fibrous veggies does not. I used to be desparate for a nap in early evening. Now, I work out, eat dinner, go go go until bedtime. So maybe part of it is what you're eating?
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'll just add that I've found that a meal high in carbs made me sleepy, whereas a protein packed one with lots of fibrous veggies does not. I used to be desparate for a nap in early evening. Now, I work out, eat dinner, go go go until bedtime. So maybe part of it is what you're eating?
    Not really. Some days when I get home and I'm so tired, I dont' even eat dinner until I get up from my nap. I just have to catch up on my sleep. I wake up really early around 5-6 ad don't really go to sleep around 12.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Napping rocks!!! Good for you for recognizing that sleep is important too and fitting it into your day! Lack of sleep is one of the factors in weight gain.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I also don't believe it matters from a calorie point of view- the main problem with sleeping after you've eaten is that your body is still digesting food while you're trying to sleep, and it can cause discomfort.
  • kingdavis45
    Options
    I fall alseep all the time after eating lunch. Your blood rushes to your stomach to help digest your food. This is why you're so sleepyduring this time. Just as long tyou're not sleeping long or doing this right before bed time then you're fine. I believe it's natural. Almost everything in life takes naps during the day after a nice meal.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?? This forum is bad.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    As others have said, from a weight loss standpoint it will not affect it as long as over the course of the day you are using more calories than your body needs.
    I successfully lost a lot of weight and I regularly napped/slept right after eating. I work shift work and eat/sleep odd hours.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    :blushing:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    As others have said, from a weight loss standpoint it will not affect it as long as over the course of the day you are using more calories than your body needs.
    I successfully lost a lot of weight and I regularly napped/slept right after eating. I work shift work and eat/sleep odd hours.
    ^^^
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    When you sleep your body slows everything down, your heart beats slower, your breathing slows and since those systems slow it slows the function of the rest of your body including your digestive track. So napping right after eating means that your body is not digesting the food in the most efficient manner. So in my humble oppinion, it is not good to nap directly after eating.

Your opinion has no science behind it. As long as your overall calories are still less then your TDEE, you will lose weight. It doesn't matter what so ever.