Bananas, HELP!!!!

Options
123Allyxox
123Allyxox Posts: 112 Member
I have about 10 slightly over ripe bananas, I went out of town last minute and forgot about them:'( Any Ideas of what I can do with them, other than the obvious banana bread.

Replies

• asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Peel them break them in half put them in a freezer bag and freez them . then you can make low cal frozen smoothes. :flowerforyou:
  • DreamSM85
    DreamSM85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If they aren't too bad maybe you can freeze them and use them in protein shakes! Maybe you could mash them and then mix into plain Greek yogurt. You could min them in pancake mix for breakfast. That's all I can think of right now. Hope that helps.
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with banana bread????? I LOVE banana bread! Great thanks now I want banana bread!!!!!
  • rayvynn5374
    Options
    or banana pudding
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Cut up small, freeze for a few hours, throw in a processor with a tad milk and any flavorings and then you have banana 'ice cream'. You could probably make a huge vat of it, section it out into servings and refreeze for later. After a few hours in the freezer it gets too hard, so it may have to thaw a little.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I agree, peel them and then freeze them. That's what I do, if I end up not eating them before the go brown. I have a champion juicer that you can make sorbet out of any frozen fruit, so the frozen bananas mixed with some frozen berries makes a delicious sorbet!
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I slice mine up and put in a container in the freezer, then I use them in my smoothies. With the fronzen banana chips I don't need to add ice.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with banana bread????? I LOVE banana bread! Great thanks now I want banana bread!!!!!

This is usually my fall back when bananas are over ripe. To make it a bit "healthier", I usually add oats and/or protein powder. However, I still love good, old fashioned banana bread. Mmmm :)
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm going to experiment soon with a banana mug cake from frozen bananas.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

This is usually my fall back when bananas are over ripe. To make it a bit "healthier", I usually add oats and/or protein powder. However, I still love good, old fashioned banana bread. Mmmm :)

omg.... protein powder in banana bread O_O mmmmmmm
  • katiebrew
    katiebrew Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Cut up small, freeze for a few hours, throw in a processor with a tad milk and any flavorings and then you have banana 'ice cream'. You could probably make a huge vat of it, section it out into servings and refreeze for later. After a few hours in the freezer it gets too hard, so it may have to thaw a little.

This!!! I get overripe organic bananas from the grocery store, cut them into slices, freeze 1-2 per freezer bag... and then the magic happens. I throw a frozen banana in the food processor with 1 tbsp cocoa, 1 tbsp peanut butter, and some almond milk. Oh. My. God. It is so good! I've used cow's milk too and it's just as good! I usually just throw enough in so that it blends smoothly - I don't have a real measurement on the milk. I cannot begin to say how good this is!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm with EuroReady. That is my favorite thing to do with overripe bananas. I use 1 frozen banana, some almond milk, a bit of vanilla extract and have an awesome ice-cream treat! I sometimes top it with chocolate syrup, peanuts or chocolate chips. SO GOOD!

Also great for smoothie mixes. My fave with banana is peanut butter or strawberries.

Or, if you like oatmeal, this recipe is delish:

Banana Bread Oatmeal
    3 cups skim milk (any milk will do)
    3 Tbsp packed brown sugar
    3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp salt (optional)
    2 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
    2 medium size ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
    1-3 Tbsp coarsely chopped toasted pecans
    Vanilla fat-free yogurt (optional)
    Banana slices (optional)
    Peacan halves (optional)

1. Bring milk, brown sugar, spcies and salt, if desired, to a gentle boil in med saucepan (watch carefully). Stir in oats. Return to a boil; reduce heat to med. Cook 1 minute for quick oats, 5 min for old fashioned oats, or untilmost of the liquid is absorbed, sitring occasionally.

2. Remove oatmeal from heat. Stir in mashed bananas and pecans. Spoon oatmeal into 4 cereal bowls. Top with yogurt, sliced bananas and pecan halves, if desired.

Tip: To toast nuts, spread in single layer on cookie sheet. Bake at 350F about 6-8 min or until lightly browned and fragrant, stirring occasionally. Cool before using.

I'm the only one in my family who eats this, so I refrigerate it and it's just as good re-heated.

Nutritional Info per serving (Serves 4):
    Cals: 268, Carbs: 51, Fat: 6, Protein: 7, Fibre: 7, Sodium: 136
    (Without pecans and made with almond milk since that's the way I make it)
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm also casting my vote with banana bread or smoothies. :)
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Freeze them :) You can freeze them peeled or unpeeled, but peeled I guess is more convenient. I usually just chuck them in the freezer unpeeled. Lots you can do with overly ripe bananas if you preserve them in the freezer. Smoothies are great, but you can also thaw them and mix them into pancake or waffle batter. They are also the best bananas to use for banana bread! The riper they get, the sweeter they are. YUM!

ETA: totally wrote my post backwards. oops.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Peel them break them in half put them in a freezer bag and freez them . then you can make low cal frozen smoothes. :flowerforyou:

OMG I do this!! Sooo perfect. You can save them for later and take them out as needed for baking, smoothies, and oatmeal. :)

Peanut butter, honey, and banana sandwiches or pb honey & banana oatmeal is soooooo good.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I feed them to my duck. lol!!!
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    Definitely freeze them. Then you can use them in various ways. Smoothies and shakes are awesome, so is banana 'ice cream'. You can cut them up, dip them in yogurt and freeze them too. then have little bite sized treats.
  • rayvynn5374
    Options
    I feed them to my duck. lol!!!
    You have a duck? for real?????
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump for later Put them in the freezer without the peal. I have a Healthy Banana Ice cream Recipe I will post.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Breakfast cookies!!!
    Who wants to eat milk (or coffee) and cookies for breakfast and still be "eating healthy"???????????????
    Great for on the go, and for kids too!

Two mashed bananas
    1 cup oats
    1/2 cup peanut butter (any type)
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour (any type will work though!)
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 cup molasses (optional but increase honey or agave to 1/2 cup if not used)
    1/4 cup honey or agave
    1/4 cup fat free dried milk powder
    1/4 cup vanilla or unflavored protein powder
    1/2 cup raisins or any dried fruit you want! (Choc chips if you want) I LOVE chopped prunes in these!

optional add ins: 1/4 cup wheat germ
    1/4 cup flax seed (ground or whole)
    1/4 cup more dried fruits
    makes 12 cookies that are 150-200 calories depending on the size you make them.

Drop cookie dough on the cookie sheet and spread out slightly with a spoon. They won't flatten out, so what you see is
    what you'll get at the end.

Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes (until the tops no longer look wet and sticky) Baking on parchment paper keeps bottoms
    nice and soft but is optional.
    there are no eggs or oil so under cooking slightly is OK and makes for a softer cookie actually. Over baking just dries them out a bit more.

Such a great recipe! You can add or subtract almost anything you want in this and it still comes out well! I made them
    three times before I found all my tricks to them. Under cooking, adding protein powder and the optional's are my additions to the base recipe. You could exchange anything in this recipe for something of similar texture!

I swapped one banana for 1/2 cup pumpkin and it's wonderful!

They average 175 calories each when you make 12 cookies.