jillian michaels weight loss supplement?!?!

Options
i just a commercial for jillian michaels promoting her own brand of weight loss pills.
i'm so confused :noway:

i've had it drilled into me that weight loss pills are bad for you but now i see one of my role models not only promoting them, but introducing her brand! are these different from other stuff on the market or has jillian bought into the craze?

say it isn't so!:sad:

Replies

• christahollis
    Options
    Others have posted about this, she apparently discusses supplimentation in her books...and one might easily assume that she's taken a hand in producing a suppliment that she feels is helpful.

Or she's a big fat sell out.

I think the jury's still out on that one.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    She caved :grumble:
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I wondered about that myself. I don't remember where i seen those advertised, but it seemed odd to me. Oh well - I still like her workouts.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Eh. I love her workouts and I think she's great. I decided just to turn my head when I see them. (Which seems to be everywhere! I saw them in GNC and Walmart.)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I agree, she caved. Although I think this was probably as much of a slimy slap her name on it and force her to promote it thing more than a "I bet I can make a few more bucks off my name" thing.

I imagine somewhere in one of her contracts it said they were free to use her name on products as long as they met certain guidelines, and I imagine this product was formulated in a way that her original guidelines were met, in which case she doesn't necessarily need to approve the actual pill.

This is all speculation on my part, but I work for a company that does all of our work within the confines of contracts, and you'd be shocked at some of the sleazy stuff people try to sneak into contracts, and yeah, sometimes this stuff makes it past the firewalls (our lawyers) on occasion, I think Jillian's probably no different.
  • abatres7
    Options
    Some people prefer magic pills... Weight loss supplements and quick fixes is a multi billion dollar industry. Just stay away from that all. Exercise and use MFP to track calories. In the end, we will all benefit from the correct way to lose weight.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    She caved :grumble:

yeah...I'm feeling the same way :angry: :ohwell:
  • kandyjo
    Options
    Ok....
    I just tweeted Jillian about this on Twitter and she was kind of a ***** about it.... guess she has been hit with this a lot....
    HEre is the info she directed me to...

"Hi guys, I am addressing your questions about why I created a line of weight loss supplements!

First off, this isn't an endorsement deal. It's MY line. It was my idea and I created the products with the top bariatrics doctors in the world. And I do mean the world. These are some of the same doctors I have been working with for years to help me with my Biggest Loser contestants and my books — especially Master Your Metabolism. I have ALWAYS been an advocate of supplementation. Not as a total solution, but as a means to accelerate weight loss, and enhance your performance in every aspect of your life be it metabolic, immunity, antiaging and so on. For reference, you can take a look at Making the Cut (pp. 251-262), where I talked about which supplements work and which don't. In my latest book, Master Your Metabolism, I talked about natural ingredients that can boost metabolic function, like caffeine, vitamin C, and zinc. For years I have advocated the use of caffeine and white willow bark to increase performance in the gym and speed metabolism. I have recommended fiber blends to help curb appetite. I have referred people to different multivitamins, fat burners, protein powders, bars, drinks, etc.

The problem for me was that every line out there has stuff in it I don't like. There are artificial colorings in the gel caps, or artificial sweeteners in the protein powders. There is soy in all the protein bars. Often the ingredients in the supplements aren't combined properly so they are not effective and so on. There is NOTHING, and I do mean NOTHING, harmful in these products. They are all natural. Have a look at the ingredients: Calorie Control: Yerba Mate leaf, Coffee (bean) Extract (Coffea arabica) - standardized to 70% natural caffeine ,Guarana (seed) Extract (Paullinia Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) ** Fat Burner: White Willow (bark) Powder (Salix alba), Grapefruit (fruit) Extract, Bitter Orange (fruit) Extract , Blood Orange (fruit) Extract, Sweet Orange (fruit) Extract, Coleus forskohlii (leaf) Extract, Forskohlin , Tribulus terrestris (root) Extract - standardized to 20% steroidal saponins ) - caffeine Cocoa (seed) Extract

All Natural stuff, no drugs, no chemicals. They even have the perfect amount of caffeine. No more than 200 mg so you won't release stress hormone. Caffeine when supplemented properly has MANY health benefits. It improves cognitive function, fights Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, helps insulin resistance, reduces risk of liver cancer, and speeds metabolism by up to 6%. If you don't believe me check out this link and see what Dr. Oz has to say: http://www.coffeesage.com/archives/2008/02/good-news-on-coffee-from-oprahs-dr-oz/

With all that said, you still MUST eat right and work out. This stuff is just meant to support your body while training and accelerate your results. Ok, that’s all for now. Have a killer weekend! "

j
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I wonder if she put a little bit of her patented "crazy" in them. That woman's a complete nut.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    OK so I was wrong. She caved. :tongue:

Well, maybe not caved, but she wasn't duped into endorsing it.
  • kandyjo
    Options

Yeah, she was really annoyed that I even asked about it... :laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Yeah, she was really annoyed that I even asked about it... :laugh:

Jillian annoyed that someone questioned her all-knowing authority on weight loss? Oh my. :tongue:
  • pal8523
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thumbs up to Jillian Michaels for working to help people achieve a normal weight and for the time and work she put into the new supplements. And... :yawn: ..... you other negative people responding about Jillian's work. Why don't you negative, ignorant gossips check the fat content in your brains?! Negative Negative Negative. You just might trip on your fat tongues one day. Why are you spending so much time criticizing Jillian Michaels? I just don't get it. She's doing a good work. And the old saying, "A good deed never goes unpunished" is also living out with you negative gossips criticizing Jillian Michaels. Look at the huge imperfections in yourselves before you criticize someone else's small imperfections. It's infuriating :angry: that you all here on these posts are SO NEGATIVE and CRITICIZING Jillian Michaels who is making an effort to help people. YOU PEOPLE posting this negative stuff behave sick sick sick :sick: .
    SICK NEGATIVE IGNORANT GOSSIPS. Not healthy to read negative stuff. And I'm not reading your ignorant, negative, gossip replies... NO, not even ONE. BYE. :frown: :angry:
  • happylittlebird
    Options
    Some of the items on the ingredients list cited ARE known to be harmful to some people, especially those with hidden or unknown health issues, in my opinion.

But she is no worse than any person who endorses or advocates "diet pills" and now her line includes detox products.

Putting her brand on whey powder is fine, in my opinion, the pills just cheapen her image to me. :)
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I looked at the pills and the price and kept walking...but I did purchase her protein drink powder. I was hopeful because it is sweetened with Stevia. It tastes awful!

DD
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I looked at getting her fat burning supplement but it was a little expensive and it had a good bit of caffiene in it. I put it back on the shelf. I just don't like getting the jitters.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thumbs up to Jillian Michaels for working to help people achieve a normal weight and for the time and work she put into the new supplements. And... :yawn: ..... you other negative people responding about Jillian's work. Why don't you negative, ignorant gossips check the fat content in your brains?! Negative Negative Negative. You just might trip on your fat tongues one day. Why are you spending so much time criticizing Jillian Michaels? I just don't get it. She's doing a good work. And the old saying, "A good deed never goes unpunished" is also living out with you negative gossips criticizing Jillian Michaels. Look at the huge imperfections in yourselves before you criticize someone else's small imperfections. It's infuriating :angry: that you all here on these posts are SO NEGATIVE and CRITICIZING Jillian Michaels who is making an effort to help people. YOU PEOPLE posting this negative stuff behave sick sick sick :sick: .
    SICK NEGATIVE IGNORANT GOSSIPS. Not healthy to read negative stuff. And I'm not reading your ignorant, negative, gossip replies... NO, not even ONE. BYE. :frown: :angry:

All I have to say is C-YA
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    it can't all be bad can it? who doesn't need a little boost in their really difficult workouts sometimes...
  • happylittlebird
    Options
    I am very sorry to be argumentative about this and it is totally up to the individual whether they want to swallow pills in the hope that it will boost their workouts ... btw, a shot of chocolate milk will boost one's workout and one knows what is in that. :)

It is strictly my opinion but putting these kinds of rainbow pills in the body (such as found in the drugstore and now including Jillian's branded products, they are NO different than all the others) is extremely dangerous at worst (some of the ingredients are known to be dangerous or questionable ... because they are natural doesn't mean they are good for one ... especially if one has a hidden health condition that they don't know about). Because it is the famous Jillian putting her brand on this doesn't make it any different from picking something off the drugstore shelf and swallowing it. It is a cr*pshoot.

Strictly my opinion, please ignore, no worries, everyone should do want they want. :)

Re the protein powder, as I think I posted :lol: I can't remember as I am ranting ... it is Pure Protein, a good brand in my opinion ... always just my opinion ... and I bought Jillian's branded version because it was cheap. I hope it tastes just like the Pure Protein I've used before as I like it, but I have weird tastebuds. :lol:

Hope everyone has a great NON NEGATIVE Sunday.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    it can't all be bad can it? who doesn't need a little boost in their really difficult workouts sometimes...

unfortunately, yes, it can.

i don't know about jillian's brand specifically but diet pills, even those that are intended to boost your workout can have disastrous effects on the body. most, if not all have a healthy dose of caffeine in them, as well as other drugs that can elevate your heart to dangerous levels. they also have unhealthy effects on your blood pressure and can seriously damage your metabolism.