Are carbs going to hurt my progress?

Options
At the end of my day I like to look at the pie graph that shows my percentages of fat/carbs/protein for the day. How much will this impact my weightloss? I'm staying within my calories fine but I seem to be eating a lot of carbs and little protein.
Thanks!

Replies

• skintimate32
    Options
    No! You NEED carbs! Carbs=energy. The totals on this app give you a number for your carbs, but don't break it up for you into simple or complex. 50-60% of your diet should actually be complex carbs. This includes whole grains and lots of vegetables, and contain fiber to help keep you full longer. Simple carbs, or refined carbs such as white bread and pastries, will turn directly into sugar and can definitely hurt your progress. These are the ones you should try to limit.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You need the protein, the clue is in the name it's the most important food.

Carbs you don't need at all, they are an energy source but there are no carbs you'll die if you don't eat. There are essential fats and proteins that you have to get by eating. So get your protein, enough fat and carbs for the rest.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It won't impact your ability to lose weight, but it has an impact on your overall health. You should be getting at least 15 percent of your calories from protein, which is essential for things like repairing your body after exercise. Eating more protein has the added benefit of keeping you fuller longer, which makes it easier to reduce your calorie intake.
  • whitefang66
    whitefang66 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    confused as there seems to be no definitive answer on this, approx 50% of my diet is carbs, with around a 25/25 split for protein and fats. most of my carbs are coming from cereal for breakfast, and fruit snacks during the day. i've lost 30lbs in 10 weeks thru hard work at the gym and balanced diet.. but i cant seem to reduce my carb intake without starving ...
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say, but it actually does matter what you eat. Especially if you have any kind of metabolic disorder, or are prone to high insulin levels or unstable blood sugar. If you store a lot of fat in your abdomen this is usually true. If this is the case, then you shouldn't be eating as many carbs as MFP recommends, and the ones you do eat should be "slow" carbs and low GI whenever possible. Calories in vs calories out is not true for everyone. Every person has different needs.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    . but i cant seem to reduce my carb intake without starving ...
    Omit the boiled potato for 3 days, see if you notice.
  • pinkwhisk
    pinkwhisk Posts: 41
    Options
    if you're training for a marathon and have the fitness of an athlete high carbs will be fine. other than that, you should be eating equal quantities of protein to carbs.
  • Kipperdog123
    Options
    You should restrict your carbs aka the Atkins diet. More protein, less carbs.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There is no one "right" answer for everyone. There is no reason why you HAVE to restrict carbs (in spite of what people might tell you!)
    Some people seem to do better with lower carbs, but if you have no medical issues that suggest you should avoid carbs - go for it and see what suits YOUR body, not anyone else.
    I eat plenty of carbs and they are no problem for me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Think of your protein and fat goals on here as a minimum to reach, rather than a maximum to stay under.

I :heart: carbs and about 50% of my calories come from carbs.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    At the end of my day I like to look at the pie graph that shows my percentages of fat/carbs/protein for the day. How much will this impact my weightloss? I'm staying within my calories fine but I seem to be eating a lot of carbs and little protein.
    Thanks!

If you feel that you are eating way too little protein, then you probably are! What I would do is focus your meals on your protein. I eat lower carb, and I have a protein with every meal--right now I am eating 2 eggs and 4 strips of soy bacon, and 1/2 cup of blackberries

for SOME people, such as me, the total carbs DO have an impact on weight loss. When I cut my carbs down to under 100g net per day, the weight all but melted off. On a *normal* amount of carbs, I lost 7 pounds in 3 months...when I cut carbs I lost 8 pounds the first month, and 6 pounds the second month--with about 2/3 the exercise! I'm in my 3rd month now.....