Hello, new, introducing myself

Options
After many attempts to start the eating healthy on m own I have come to realize I need a way to keep track, so here I am. I have no real goal number in mind, I chose one for the site but really I know I felt good and looked good in a certain ball gown. We have a spring military ball and I want to wear that gown again (no one here saw it..shhh) so that is my true goal to get into that gown and feel good about me, no certain number. I am also in school full-time, mother of one teen and my husband is active duty army...my life is..full.lol..hope to make some new connections on the site, as "real" life leaves little time to make connections of any sort. Look forward to meeting some of you soon.

Replies

• Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! This place is great and the support you get here tremendous! You'll learn a lot from the food diary alone!!! We're glad you're here!
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and good luck with your journey!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!! You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Hi! Your first step was to admit you want to lose weight :flowerforyou: I am 5'8" STARTED @ 189 pounds (January 2009) and NOW weigh 172.8 pounds [15 September 2009] (I am currently wearing my size 8 jeans to work; dress down day today). I work for the Army/Civilian so don't salute me :laugh:

Second: Make sure you drink 64 oz of water daily; work out 3 days a week for 30 minutes; then you'll work out for an hour and "maybe" sneak in another day of workout by working on "weights". Take your vitamins/supplements, talk to your doctor before exercising/dieting, stop eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep, use extra virgin olive oil (this is yummy to dip wheat bread when you make your wheat spaghetti); speaking of "wheat" eat wheat products: bread, spaghetti, cereal, etc. Be wise and use coupons found in your local newspaper, eat fruits and veggies, snack on "any" type of nut (walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds are best), drink skim/soy milk, yogurt, eat fish/chicken/lean meats, have salads WITHOUT dressing (ask for extra virgin olive oil @ restaurants/use at home), stay away from POPS/SODAS (drink diet sodas/pops once a day if not, once a week), don't eat "fried foods" (french fries, potato chips, etc), try eating Baked Lays, air popped popcorn, buy a pizza stone ($29.99) and you can create your own delicious home made pizzas with Boboli wheat pizza crust (already made); veggies to your hearts content, one can of refried beans (protein), one can of whole kernel corn (drained), and lite mozzarella cheese...yum! You can eat the Oreda crinkle cut fries that you bake in the oven, stay away from the salt shaker, stay AWAY from processed foods, foods made with hydrogenated oils (cookies, cakes, pies, etc).

Third: Don't drink COFFEE. Drink Chai black/green tea instead. Chew gum all day. It keeps your mouth "busy". I've also heard/learned that before you eat a meal eat your soup first since it helps fill you up before the main course.

Fourth: Please, please, please weigh yourself "monthly". We women have PMS, mood swings, bloating, water gain (we retain water) two weeks before we mensturate; thus the reason why I ask you to weigh yourself monthly. I swear (Eva crossing her finger and doing a "cross" by her :heart: ) you WILL lose 3-4 pounds every month. If you do the "math" that's THE average of 1 pound a week. This helps you from NOT getting discouraged IF, if, you weigh yourself daily/weekly.

Fifth: Thirty minutes before you work out eat one of the following (check out the OR), one apple, OR one small box of raisins with a handful of walnuts, OR soup, OR yogurt. Why? "They are packed with high-quality carbohydrates, which provide a quick source of fuel for your muscles, but they have just enough protein and fat to help you maintain a steady, elevated energy level" (source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

Sixth: AFTER your work out, drink a protein shake (Slimfast, Special K, EAS Myoplex, etc). Why? "After a workout, your muscles need protein to repair microscopic muslce tears, plus another shot of carbs to help restock energy stores. Cyclists who drank it after a tough racing session had improved endurance and recovered fast than those who drank an ordinary sports drink (which supplies carbs and electrolytes, but no protein)" (Source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

Seventh: Set small goals for right now. Start with the FIRST 10 pounds. If you work out and eat right (the first month WITHOUT cheating), you'll lose 5-6 pounds (mainly water retention weight) because you are flushing your body (detoxing). THEN the weight will be HARDER to lose. Remember, it's soooo easy to gain the weight, but hard to lose it. "No pain, no gain!" No worries if the weight is harder to lose since it means that it is time to "up" your exercise regimen (1 hour 3-4 days a week). When you've lost the weight, then you can go "up" to 1,500 calories (maybe for the last stubborn 10 pounds). If you closely watch "THE BIGGEST LOSER" they have to lose more than 50 pounds; their calorie intake is 1,000-1,100. Wow! Bless their :heart: for doing that!!!

And finally: If you want more "tips" let me know as you know how to reach me. Blessings and good luck!

Eva