I just can't eat bread!

Options
shivles
shivles Posts: 468 Member
After a while of carefully monitoring what I eat on here I've noticed that bread is evil, it makes me so horribly bloated I gain 5lbs and a dress size just from a few slices! Even wholemeal has this effect, does anyone else have this problem? I'm going to play about and see if wraps and pittas have this effect too as it would be nice to be able to eat something that vaguely resembles a sandwich.

Replies

• dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    lots of people do, it's probably that you're intolerant to gluten or something else in the wheat, and this is more common than a lot of people realise

simple solution: don't eat bread and don't let anyone tell you that you have to. there are other ways to get healthy carbs.
  • dhakiyya
    Options
    re sandwiches, I'm not intolerant to wheat and do eat bread from time to time, but as I try to be moderate about carbs I tend to eat other carbs (e.g. rice) more

I tend to eat bread-less sandwiches. That's basically the sandwich filling without the bread :)

There might be some wheat free/gluten free breads you could try, you may be able to tolerate those better.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Other forms of gluten are fine though, porridge and cereals for example have no effect. Maybe it's just more refined types?
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I definitely have this problem. I switched to multigrain deli flats and matzo crackers and only have either no more than 3 times a week. I'll occassionally have a slice of bread or a wrap but it's rare. I can't touch a bagel or a muffin! Good news is, For the most part, I no longer crave any of it. But when I do want bread, I make my own ciabatta bread. For some reason the recipe I have doesn't bloat me and I'm pretty strict about how much I have.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I VERY RARELY EAT BREAD I DONT EVEN BUY IT AS I WAS JUST THROWING IT AWAY, I CANT SAY I MISS IT. BY THE WAY I DONT EAT POTATOES OR PASTA EITHER
  • dhakiyya
    Options
    Other forms of gluten are fine though, porridge and cereals for example have no effect. Maybe it's just more refined types?

My daughter's allergic to wholegrain durham wheat and is fine with bread wheat, so she can eat bread, weetabix and white pasta (although that can be problematic if it's not been refined well, so I avoid giving her any pasta) but she can't have wholegrain pasta or bulghar wheat.

There are different varieties of wheat, different varieties of grains and the gluten in one kind is not like the gluten in others. Allergies and intolerances to bread wheat are more common than to other kinds of wheat and other grains, but there are a lot of possibilities, so if you can tolerate it okay eat it, and if you can't, don't eat it. There will be something in bread that's not in the things you can tolerate.
  • Bealach_Bug
    Options
    I don't eat bread, can't say I miss it, I don't eat pasta or rice either. I know some folk use lettuce leaves as a wrap. What about a BLT but use chicken breast sliced in half (with the filling between the two slices) instead of bread.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im a no potatoes, rice, pasta, corn, flour or bread person. I get extremely sick...

I just recently did a test for the Endo.... I was asked to consume some sort of food that had bread, because we wanted to draw my blood the next morning to check for an inflammatory process.

Well, it was difficult considering I have been off these foods for about two years now.. but I had pizza... it was delicious but within an hour I started to hurt REALLY bad...

I fasted for 12 hours.

Went to the lab, had my blood drawn and the call came in about four days later from the Endo and she said "I lit up like a Christmas tree but all in red lights".... I laughed but told her "well, you dont need to tell me I have metabolic issues, I was swollen like a balloon and my joints were screaming mad that day I went in!!!"

I get plenty of healthy carbs from my vegetables... love my rabbit food!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    josephs bakery makes low carb pitas/lavash bread.

its awesome!
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    King Arthur Flour has a lot of gluten-free recipes on their site, including bread and pizza dough. The recipes seem to get really good reviews.

I have been using KAF recipes for several years, and they always turn out great. If you have problems or questions, they have an 800 number you can call, or you can email them with questions. They're very responsive and helpful.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Bread is no problem for me... but if it doesn't agree with you, no problem, eat what makes YOU feel good.
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

People who have Celiac disease (like my mom) need to avoid wheat, rye, and barley, but can eat oats, corn, rice, etc. If you're really desperate for something bread-like, there are quite a few gluten-free versions available these days, though don't expect most of them to be like the wheat bread most of us are used to. Ezekiel products are pretty good; there's a brand that starts with a U that my mom really likes, can't remember the name, though.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I noticed this year I have a yeast sensitivity. I make my own bread now and some tortilla shells are yeast free but it is really hard to find yeast free bread products. yeast is also added to other products like some vegetable soups.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Just sayin I would die without bread in some form everyday. Love bread and couldn't live without it but do try to eat whole grains when I do eat bread.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to eat bread? It is filled with carbs, salt (sodium) and unless it is whole grain, it is useless carbs. You can get carbs from fruit and veggies, that is enough. For some, by reducing the bread, potatoes and rice, they lose more weight faster.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I dont' eat much bread anymore (gluten free 13 years) but when I really feel the need I eat Udi's gluten free - closest thing to sandwich bread I've found, lightly toasted it makes great sandwiches. Properly browned it makes very satisfying toast.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It seems after a while of studying it, that I can only eat bread in the evening. if I eat bread for breakfast or lunch, I feel sick and am bloated all day, but if I eat it for dinner, not a problem.

I have no idea why that is, but since I've been on my plan i eat bread maybe once a week and it's still the same effect, no bloating if I eat I later in the day.

Surely a gluten intolerance isn't affected by the time of day. i am not aware of any intolerance, but i don't know how to explain it:indifferent:
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I am coming to the same discovery. Pitas seem the worst for me, not sure why. I seem to be able to tolerate ezekeiel bread. It is very hard to figure out cause you don't know if it is something you ate the day before now causing problems etc...

I can so relate
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Maybe try whole grain sprouted bread.... I rarely eat bread but if i do that is what I eat and it works well
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    i am a 'bread aholic' so i know exactly what you are saying. anything bread related has to be banned from my kitchen, especially the white bread. i hate to admit this but i could almost eat a loaf a day. that is how addicted to carbs i am (working on was).

i do not seem to have an addiction to whole wheat or the jack sprat bread so i do have a loaf of the jack sprat bread in my fridge right now but that loaf will last me almost 2 weeks.

i literally ate white bread like some would eat chips. i love how you said it is 'evil' i could not agree more. i know that most of my weight is a direct result of the amount of white, processed breads and other enriched foods i ate.

i feel so much better now not being on white bread. 46 days into my new, healthier eating has left me feeling so much better. stay away from the evils of enriched foods as much as you can.