Little People...

Options
My wife is 4'11" and is bothered that her recommended weight loss program from MFP will only allow her to lose 1lb in 5 weeks at a nett daily target of 1200 calories (yes she's checked it... 0.2lbs per week is what it works out as). She signed up for MFP as she wants to get back to her "fighting weight" in 7 weeks... which means losing 2lbs per week to get from 119lbs to 105lbs.

I'm reasonably well up on the health aspects of weight loss and I've read that in general it's not healthy to go below 1200 calories a day but I've not seen anything that relates that 1200 calorie "minimum" to a persons size. I'm also well aware that all of these figures are based on calculations of averages.

What I'm asking on her behalf (she won't do forums) is are there any other "little people" out there who've successfully used MFP, is this level of recommended weight loss typical for people of this size and is it healthy for smaller people to go under 1200 nett calories per day?

Cheers

Replies

• phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    Generally, the less a person has to lose, the longer it takes to lose it. All my research tells me it's not a good idea for adults to go under 1200 cals a day, unless they are under strict medical supervision. All your wife can control is what goes into her body, and how much she moves it. The scale won't necessarily show hard work in such a short amount of time.

If she has an urgent health reason for this, the best thing she can do is speak to a doctor or a registered dietitian. Otherwise, she may just have to be patient.

I hope this is helpful. I am a bit taller at 5'4". Also, I think if MFP told her go to any lower than 1200, it would be a liability on their part, since modern science says not to. Good luck!

**Edit** I want to add that if she eats too little, the weight she does lose may not be fat, but things she needs to hold on to, like muscle or bone mass.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    First of all, whats the rush? The last 20lbs or so are slow going for most people, even on a bigger deficit.

Secondly, that calorie recommendation is a governmental baseline for average people. It's designed to ensure you're getting enough nutrition from your diet outside of calories.

I am far from a little person so I can't really help with your end query :p
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You can get full nutrition on less than 1200 calories, and inadequate nutrition on more than 2000 calories. It's more the "what" than the "how much". The only source I've seen cited for the 1200 is the American College of Sports Nutrition. You will not, for example, find 1200 calories on the web site of the UK's National Health Service.

MFP is defective for sedentary people of low BMR with its rigid 1200 minimum calories. Devise your own goals and use custom settings http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom . Be especially careful of "eating back your calories" as that will start from 1200 even if your goal should have been lower.

2 lbs/week may be optimistic as she's not obese, but the 1200 calorie floor will certainly impede and potentially prevent weight loss.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    My wife is 4'11" and is bothered that her recommended weight loss program from MFP will only allow her to lose 1lb in 5 weeks at a nett daily target of 1200 calories (yes she's checked it... 0.2lbs per week is what it works out as). She signed up for MFP as she wants to get back to her "fighting weight" in 7 weeks... which means losing 2lbs per week to get from 119lbs to 105lbs.

I'm reasonably well up on the health aspects of weight loss and I've read that in general it's not healthy to go below 1200 calories a day but I've not seen anything that relates that 1200 calorie "minimum" to a persons size. I'm also well aware that all of these figures are based on calculations of averages.

What I'm asking on her behalf (she won't do forums) is are there any other "little people" out there who've successfully used MFP, is this level of recommended weight loss typical for people of this size and is it healthy for smaller people to go under 1200 nett calories per day?

Cheers

I'm 4ft 11, and I don't follow MFP's guidelines as 1200 is too low for me. I worked out my TDEE and then deducted 20% and I'm losing on 1600.

if you work out her TDEE, and it's around 2000 calories, then deducting 1000 for a 2lb per week loss is too much of a deficit. if y

see this extract below.

"The problem is that (1) you must have a calorie deficit to lose fat, but (2) too severe of a deficit increases risk of muscle loss. This leads us to the importance of choosing the correct calorie deficit.
    The standard way to calculate a calorie reduction for fat loss is to use a 500-1000 calorie per day deficit (below maintenance) for losing one or two pounds per week, respectively.

We can improve our calorie deficit guidelines a lot by using a sliding percentage scale of conservative, moderate and aggressive deficits, which is influenced strongly based on your starting body fat percentage.
    This gives you a safer and more personalized approach than an absolute deficit like 1000 calories. In relative terms, a 1000 calorie deficit could be near starvation, or it could be a perfectly reasonable reduction for an overweight person.
    For example, if you’re a large, somewhat heavy and very active male with a 3400 calorie per day maintenance level, then a 1000 calorie deficit means a daily caloric intake of 2400 calories per day, a 30% deficit (aggressive, but well within reason).
    If you’re a petite, lightly active female with a caloric maintenance level of 1900 calories per day, then a 1000 calorie deficit means a caloric intake of 900 calories per day, a 53% deficit (semi starvation, potentially unhealthy and catabolic). As Einstein would say, that's relativity for you."

taken from here

http://davfitfitnessforum.forumotion.com/t56-muscle-retaining-factor-1-severity-of-calorie-deficit-by-tom-venuto-a-trusted-friend
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You can get full nutrition on less than 1200 calories, and inadequate nutrition on more than 2000 calories. It's more the "what" than the "how much". The only source I've seen cited for the 1200 is the American College of Sports Nutrition. You will not, for example, find 1200 calories on the web site of the UK's National Health Service.

MFP is defective for sedentary people of low BMR with its rigid 1200 minimum calories. Devise your own goals and use custom settings http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom . Be especially careful of "eating back your calories" as that will start from 1200 even if your goal should have been lower.

2 lbs/week may be optimistic as she's not obese, but the 1200 calorie floor will certainly impede and potentially prevent weight loss.
    While this is all true, I wouldn't think eating below to be the correct answer to the problem. Sure you could, but ensuring you're getting enough of everything would be a stressful process. To me, increasing her deficit to an average of 3500 over a week with a large part of that coming from exercise would be a better idea.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    While this is all true, I wouldn't think eating below to be the correct answer to the problem. Sure you could, but ensuring you're getting enough of everything would be a stressful process.
    Plenty of foods & products around to ensure adequacy with a bit of thought. I suspect at least 80% of us are short of something even when not trying to lose weight.
    To me, increasing her deficit to an average of 3500 over a week with a large part of that coming from exercise would be a better idea.
    Unless she hates exercise, or can't do it, or hasn't the time. 10 hours a week ?

I agree that 3500 over a week is reasonable, maybe even less as she approaches goal.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" and usually average out to 1200/day (some days under, some over) and usually have no issues losing at a faster rate than what those sorts of predictions would say. Don't put too much stock in the numbers games that people like to play; based on all the BMR/TDEE/whatever calculators, I shouldn't be losing even a pound a week, but often see numbers substantially higher than that.

Remember that all the numbers and recommendations are based on averages. The further you are from "average," the less likely it is that those are going to apply exactly. So people who are very short or very tall shouldn't try too hard to shove themselves into plans or programs or expectations that are intended to target people who just aren't like them. 1200 isn't a hard rule, but going much lower can result in difficulty getting sufficient nutrient levels; however, if she's careful and watches those levels, then dropping it somewhat is unlikely to cause any adverse effects.

Finally, she shouldn't worry about losing at a certain rate (x pounds per week). That's a surefire way to ensure that she's going to feel awful at some point. Weight loss isn't a linear process; expecting it to be is just a bad idea.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and it took me 4 months to lose 9 pounds. I eat around 1300 a day. Sorry, that's just the way it is for us shorter folks. We lose slow, especially when you don't start off with a lot to lose. My diary is open if yo want to snoop around.
  • ElPatoLoco
    ElPatoLoco Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    cheers everyone who replied... she's read all the comments and feels a lot happier, she had a good chuckle at the "what's the rush" comment :) She used to be very active (hell... we both did) but driving a desk and long hours of running your own business can make you take your eye off the ball sometimes and she acknowledges that simply cutting the calorie intake is not the whole answer.

MFP is a great tool but obviously has its limitations, getting feedback from real people with positive experiences and pointers on where to get more info is invaluable... so thank you all once again... and good luck in your personal quests :)
  • redheadlynn
    redheadlynn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 4'10" and 1200 calories is too much if I'm not exercising. I can only eat 1200 and lose/be my good weight if I am exercising. But that's just me. I think we're all different. I'm short! The difference between me and "petite height" (5'4") is the same as someone who is 5'4" and someone who is 5'10"! Think about it. :P I am going by my ACTUAL HUNGER and 1200 is too much.