Getting a Dog!

Options

Replies

• taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Also, my dog's never had any proper training (bar toilet training), yet is very well behaved. He lets me know when he wants to go out, and if I'm not home and he has to go, he goes by my toilet LOL

He has a stretchy lead which I prefer as I think it gives him the space to be able to let off some steam, rather than having to walk by my side at my pace. I hate it when I see people yanking their dog (especially puppy) to force them to walk next to them. Dogs have so much energy and I don't think it's fair.

I let him off the lead most of the time, unless I see a scary looking dog ahead or we're near a main road. He knows a lot of words, and he'll stop at the road until I tell him to cross over etc.

The only time he's "naughty" is when I'm trying to get him in the bath or put his coat on for a walk in the rain :laugh:
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    LUCKY......i SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO want a dog but hubby says no :sad:

Not liking dogs would have been a dealbreaker for me. I knew I married the right man when he said we needed a bigger bed so the dogs would have room, too.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I have 4 Siberian Huskies and do not regret getting any of them!! Our 2 girls we had from pups, the 2 boys we rescued...1 at 10 months old (we're his second home) and the other at 2 years (we're his sixth home!!!).

All I can say is do as much research as you can on the breed you're intending to get and maybe join groups on Facebook, for instance. I wouldn't be without insurance, we've had to call upon it a few times! Also, make sure that everyone in your household is 'reading from the same book' when it comes to training...consistency is vital!

Most importantly though is have fun with them (or he/she) - a dog/s is a part of your family and will give you so much happiness if you're willing to put in the time and effort :-))
  • sttrinians
    sttrinians Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree, do it. I rescued a dog from the local centre and have not regretted one day of it. Both my husband and I are fitter and healthier and even in torrential rain we walk him everyday. I would suggest that you rescue a dog if you don't take the spaniels. Find out as much as possible before hand, not all dogs that are in rescue centres are there for bad reasons.
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    We were always "cat people" but last year we rescued 2 Westies. It was an animal hoarding situation, and the owner had to be put in an assisted living facility. Unfortunately one of the dogs we rescued had health issues and passed away after a couple of months, but the other one is alive and well.

We honestly could not imagine our lives without this little guy! I agree, adopting a full grown dog is a great idea for newbies, but there will still be an adjustment period as you all figure out each other's preferences and schedules.

We don't have a fenced in yard, so we take our dog for several walks a day. He loves it, and I enjoy the exercise as well. I can tell a big difference in my leg muscles and my endurance.
  • muggsmom
    muggsmom Posts: 28
    Options
    Very excited for you! If these two don't work out, please do not buy a puppy! There are millions of fantastic dogs waiting to be adopted.
  • lifesazoo
    lifesazoo Posts: 118
    Options
    Yay!!! I hope it works out. We live on a small farm and have 7 dogs. I'm a dog groomer and former vet tech, so I did a lot of rescue work in the past. I once rescued 15 Cocker Spaniels from a puppy mill (in addition to several other dogs from there). I also used to rescue Cockers from the dog pound. Pets give you a reason to have to be on your toes and more active and that can never be a bad thing. Our newest additions are our chickens and they provide me even more exercise by carrying feed and water to them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'd also find out exactly why they need a new home... make sure it's not behavioral problems. Having worked in a shelter and for a vet, sometimes Cockers are a bit ... difficult. (And sometimes they're total sweethearts.) If they have issues, it might be a bit of a task for a first time dog owner.
    Personally I'm against the idea of buying a puppy. There's plenty of abandoned dogs or unwanted mongrel puppies that need good homes.

Yep. And also plenty of purebreds in shelters and rescues, if you have your heart set on a particular breed. I got mine from a Pekingese rescue on Petfinder. He was only two years old.

If you aren't able to take these girls, please suggest to the owner that she find a reputable breed rescue to help place her dogs.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If they are good dogs, it sounds like a great opportunity. There are definitely some benefits to having two dogs the same age and general temperament.

Dogs are work. It's been that having a dog is like having a permanent 2 year old. They require healthcare, grooming, exercise, and training. Too many people, esp those with small children, think of their dogs as toys or household decorations. Or they are too self-indulgent and end up with animals that are overweight and have behavior problems. Dogs are social creatures and need to be with their human companions. It is unfair to have a dog if your work hours mean they will be alone most of the day.

On the other hand, you get companions that accept you uncritically, are always happy to see you. I often think that if partners greeted each other like dogs (minus the butt-sniffing), you'd have a lot fewer divorces.

I would definitely recommend that you get some education or training so that you can handle your dogs in a way that makes them good citizens.

Good luck.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have 2 retired greyhounds aged 2 and 4. They are like puppies who needed to be taught EVERYTHING!

But NO REGRETS! I love seeing their faces as they lay their heads on the foot of the bed.... Waiting to be walked. And the waging tails when I come home everyday. It is just the best feeling in the world!
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    Also, my dog's never had any proper training (bar toilet training), yet is very well behaved. He lets me know when he wants to go out, and if I'm not home and he has to go, he goes by my toilet LOL

haha thats cute! very clever doggie
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    If you are a "dog person" who has just had to manage without one due to life situation and are ready now... you will become "whole" once you have one :smile:

I agree with keeping both of the 4 yr old sister dogs if you can.... They will be quite lonely and depressed for awhile without each other, and it might make their adjustment to your home very difficult for both you and the dog if you only take one.

Some people are just NOT "dog people" and those are the people who are telling you "nay" - if you are prepared to love and care for a dog the way you would a child for the next decade (or more) and the idea of dog sitters, vets, chewed shoes or furniture possibly, getting up at night, cleaning poop and pee up for awhile doesn't bother you.... then you'll be fine, you will be amazed at how much love and happiness they can and will add to your home!

:flowerforyou:

I have an almost 11 yr old mixed breed.... he's pretty lazy and moves from the bed, to the food bowl, to the couch and occasionally outside to potty.
    Last summer, we got another mixed breed puppy. She's half Corgi & half Shih-Tzu and goes walking AND jogging with me!! So long as the weather isn't too humid, she can easily keep up with me for 2-3 miles (even with her little short legs) and I enjoy having someone to go along too - she even "talks me into it" sometimes when I'm feeling lazy.

This year, I have jogged / walked 277 miles so far! (The year before we got her, my most lazy year since losing 60 pounds in 2006 - I only jogged / walked 139 ALL YEAR) so you can see, she is definitely helping me along!
  • Bealach_Bug
    Options
    What strain, Working or Show Cocker?
    It would be worth doing a google search to see what you are letting yourself in for.

They are lively and they are very clever (the workers more so than the show strain), they will need mental stimulation as well as physical stimulation. Absolutly a fab breed, but can get destructive if they are bored, also may morph from 'mary poppins' dog into 'bog off' dogs depending on whether it's Monday or Wednesday, low flying birds or pheasant noises, or simply that the weather has changed direction....Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

It may be worth giving a rescue centre a ring and finding out what sort of questions you should ask before you agree to adopt them. eg, food, sleeping arrangments (no dogs o upstairs in my house for example), can you groom them, touch their paws, any problems with their health, can you have their current vets details etc etc

Mum to1 working Cocker, 1 Show Cocker/Springer Spaniel X, and 3 English Springer Spaniels :smile:
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i have a puppy we got from the shelter here on post. he was only 3months old when we got him and we were very lucky... he was potty trained within a week of being in our home and he's seriously awesome! i never wanted a dog before. i don't "hate" animals, but i'm not generally an animal person. i clean a lot so the idea of having hair all over the house kind of freaks me out still and i have my days that i'm like... "gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" and i go psycho moving furniture and sweeping LOL but i love having Walker (my pup) around. he's my snuggle buddy. i even let him on the furniture which i said "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" to when we first brought him home. haha!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I hope you like them and they are a good fit. I love our doggy!
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have had dog for pretty much most of my life. Most of my adult life has been with two (or three - husband's police drug GSD) at a time. I have had a couple of dogs that I seriously regretted. One was a rescue (collie mix) and my son was extremely allergic to its dander. We had to return it to the humane society. That is the only dog breed that he has ever had any allergies too. We also rescued a mutt puppy from a friend's neighbor that was going to drop them all off at a pound (a killer shelter). That dog refused to be trained and was the most evil dog ever!! She ate everything and bit everyone and when we found out we were having a baby we tried everything to get it to behave and quit being so mean and nothing worked. So, we gave her to the humane society because we could not risk the baby getting bitten and hurt. She never even made it onto the adoption floor she was so bad. I am hoping they found some special foster home to take her and not have to put her down. I currently have a cocker spaniel (english field line). She is short haired which is awesome! I had an american cocker spaniel many years ago that was the traditional long, curly, thick hair and boy was it work and a lot of trips to the groomer. Cocker's are great family pets and very loyal, friendly, playful dogs. There only downfall is that they are very difficult to housebreak (females are the worst). Dogs are a lot of fun and great companionship (and great exercise/walking buddies). I think it is great that you are looking at adoption/buying. I hope they pick your family and you will have many rewarding years with your new cockers.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well, they are a lot of work, but they are also part of my family. As of about three weeks ago, I have three dogs. One lab/chow mix, one Jack Russell (mutt) and just recently we rescued a 15 year old Chichuahua whose elderly owners could not take care of him anymore. They are all different and wonderful. I have a huge yard and a wireless pet containment system (for the two larger dogs) so they get lots of exercise. We also have two cats and six chickens, so it's always interesting here at my house.

Good luck. You will have so much fun!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm against the idea of buying a puppy. There's plenty of abandoned dogs or unwanted mongrel puppies that need good homes. Mongrels are actually more often healthier, more intelligent, have less personality disorders, less genetic defects than pure breeds. Just worth bearing in mind anyway.

THIS! I would strongly urge rescuing from a local shelter, letting a dog choose you in the instance that the two you are going to see don't work out. We adopted a dog that had been transported from puerto rico, a sato rescue, and she has been the most trainable, fun, intelligent dog anyone could ask for. Just took her on a week long vacation to Maine and she was awesome, on and off leash...
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Dogs are a lot of time and work but they are 150% worth it. We have an older chocolate lab/shepard mix and she's wonderful - super easy going, great with the kiddos and a nice guard dog. The only drawback of having a dog, I think, is that you can't just take off for an entire day or two without a dog sitter... so if you're an out and about person, that's something to consider. Are you adopting both dogs?
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Very excited for you! If these two don't work out, please do not buy a puppy! There are millions of fantastic dogs waiting to be adopted.

I would have to agree. I’ve had non-sheltered and sheltered dogs. The sheltered dogs were more loyal. Puppies are cute but they are a lot of work. There are too many homeless dogs.