Recovering from Surgery=less exercise

Options
Hi all, I had a labrum repair (shoulder surgery) 9 weeks ago. I went back to work 2 weeks ago. I have therapy twice a week for another 2 months and will need 5 more months for "complete" recovery. I am still very tired. I know that is mostly because I am not sleeping well still. I started walking last week and have gotten up to 3 miles but I really don't like it. I would rather be doing a zumba, jazzercise, or more interactive routine. Any suggestions. I am esp frustrated as I did not lose weight (had 1.5 gain) this weigh in and I stayed within my calories everyday except one and was only over less than 150. Thanks. Shana

Replies

• weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Talk to the physical therapist and your doctor and see what they suggest. You wouldn't want to do anything that would put you at risk for a re-injury or anything. Plus your energy levels are down. Don't push things right now, you are still healing.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have talked with my therapist and she has said that I can do anything that I can tolerate. It is pain from my shoulder that does not allow certain movements. She has said that I can not injure it, that it will injure me (as in pain).
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I thought this said labia repair....I am so juvenile! Good luck
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A labia repair would probably be as painful to exercise..haha...Sorry..I guess I am a bit juvenvile too...got a giggle out of your post..
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    A labia repair would probably be as painful to exercise..haha...Sorry..I guess I am a bit juvenvile too...got a giggle out of your post..

I'd be more concerned about how you broke it! :bigsmile:
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you here - I had a mastectomy 4 months ago, and I can barely move. Apparently this is an abnormal result from the surgery, but going from running 3-5 miles a week to barely being able to walk 10 blocks to my car is a really awful switch. I've gained 10 pounds... just from sitting and eating. I miss running. I miss Wii boxing. I miss my size 10 pants. Anyone come up with a solution for those of us who are really struggling to exercise?