And you thought you were a picky eater!

Options
nest9
nest9 Posts: 28 Member
Where do I begin on this topic? For as long as I can remember, I have been a very picky eater. I know you are thinking well there is a little bit of a picky eater in all of us. I go way beyond the norm. I am so picky, that it is almost nearly impossible to create a consistent healthy eating habit. At the age of 5-7 I stopped eating all meats. Even before this age, I did not eat any beans or greens. This trend has continues for approximately 28 years now. At this point, I do not eat any of the following: No Meats, No Beans, No Greens, No Vegetables (only eat corn and potatoes), rarely any Poultry (only eat some egg whites occasionally), No Seafood, No Rice… etc. I am sure I am missing more but as you can see I have a large majority of the major food groups covered. So your question is, like most others, what do you eat? For breakfast I choose from cereal, breads, oatmeal, fruit, or the occasional egg whites. For snacks I choose from nuts, fruits, or in the past chips (given them up for the most part). For lunch: I normally have eaten subway pizza, or subway 6 in Italian herbs and cheese bread with cheese and baked chips. In my fast food days, I would get a Big Mac, Whopper, or whatever, take off the meat and put on French fries. Dinner: In the past (pastas, breads, pizza… etc) All the bad carbs one could ask for. Surprisingly, I have not had any health issues to this point and all my numbers with the exception of being a little overweight have been good. So my question is, how does one in my situation, develop a meal plan that is healthy with my limited choices. To throw more confusion in the mix, I do not eat any of the meat substitute products either! Throw me a grilled cheese, plate of penne alfredo, or a pizza and I am set. That was my mindset before! Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My wife is also very picky. She would eat grilled cheese, chicken strips and mac & cheese all day. She is slooowwwllly expanding her palette because she knows she needs to and that is what I recommend. She finds some of the foods she thinks she hates are not bad.
  • kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    well i don't have a lot of suggestions...however if you like pretzels. Snack Factory has preztel crisps that are rather low in calories and come in a variety. sodium isn't too bad in most either.
  • farrari17
    farrari17 Posts: 19
    Options
    To begin with, make sure you're taking a multi-vitamin. Second, make sure to drink meal replacement drinks, like Ensure, try even mixing it with ice cream, it improves the taste and gets it down easier. Third, you've acknowledged your problem, so you can start to fix it. Start off with just trying lots of foods, start near your comfort zone, like different types of grains, whole grains, go from potatoes to sweet potatoes or other roots. If it's been a long time since you've tried a food, try it again, maybe prepared differently since the way the food is prepared changes the taste, your taste preferences may have changed. Also the way the food is presented can affect the eating experience, so if you do cook, or have a meal prepared for you, try to plate it in an appealing manner that's nice to look at, it can help make it nice to eat too somewhat. Definitely talk to a registered dietitian. As long as you're open to trying new foods, I'm sure you'll find some new foods that you actually like. My bf is a picky eater, but I have hope for him because he's willing to try new foods, and he's been surprised at what he likes afterall!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My son lived on instant mashed potatoes, chicken nuggets, peanut butter and cheese for 12 years. That was it.

When he was 12 he went with the Philadelphia Boys Choir to Cuba. And I warned him that unless he planned to not eat for a week, he better find something.

Well, he came home and decided he liked hamburgers....and frog's legs....LOL!! I haven't even got the nerve to try frogs legs.

He is still pretty picky....no veggies. But he wlll now eat pizza, steak, turkey legs (Thanksgiving used to be a total waste for him), real chicken (I dont consider chicken nuggets REAL chicken). So its better than it was.

I know thats not helpful...unless you want to arrange a trip to Cuba. But I wanted you to know there IS hope. :)
  • Lampy00512
    Lampy00512 Posts: 117
    Options
    Wow, very, very nice to come across another person who is just as picky as me. I hate being like this, so embarrassing :cry:
    Bumping, 'cause I want to see suggestions too. Sometimes a few of my relatives will be like, "Since you like (so-and-so), you'll definitely like this, trust me!" So, whomever knows your habit well, may be able to provide suggestions.
  • reteed
    reteed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I could have written exactly what you did! I can think of 1000's of ways to eat potatoes and noodles, everything else is YUCK! I WILL NOT eat ground beef. I have found that if my husband can grill a steak to "very, very, very well done", I can manage it. Don't care for pork chops, but I do like shredded pork. Don't care for chicken, but I found out that I can eat the Tyson Breaded Chicken Tenderloins as long as it's a skinny piece. I eat a lot of cheese. My opinion is that I get my protein from cheese, peanut butter, and the occasional bean burrito from Taco Bell. I wish you luck in trying to expand your tastes - I'll be right there with you!
  • nest9
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback. I know it is a tough road and old habits are hard to break. It's weird to think that I "don't" like a food just because the way it looks!
  • nmb1983
    nmb1983 Posts: 34
    Options
    I was the same way... I found out that I actually DO like a lot of veggies, just not cooked, they have to be raw (and some, I will only eat if I have some kind of dip)...potatoes are actually pretty good for you, leave the skin on and watch out for your toppings/add-ins...

I understand about not liking something because of the way it looks... my husband is that with with ground beef... he'll eat pretty much anything (not picky at all) but he doesn't like the way ground beef looks when it's cooking (but he likes hamburgers?)

For me, it's more of a texture thing... I don't like the way certain foods feel in my mouth... like cream of wheat, celery, and beans (excluding refried beans because they're smashed...I don't like the "skin" on regular beans).
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My views on this are probably very unpopular but you choose what you eat. You can eat healthy if you choose to or you can continue as you are and probably lose whatever weight you want on a calorie deficit. And then still be unhealthy.

Expand your horizons and try something new. If you don't like it try it cooked a different way. You can eat the food if you want to.
  • nest9
    Options
    My views on this are probably very unpopular but you choose what you eat. You can eat healthy if you choose to or you can continue as you are and probably lose whatever weight you want on a calorie deficit. And then still be unhealthy.

Expand your horizons and try something new. If you don't like it try it cooked a different way. You can eat the food if you want to.

All views are more than welcome. I would say you are correct. There is nothing dealing with medical, religious, etc that is causing me not to eat the foods other than the fact that I choose not to for whatever reason. Changing a lifestyle of over 28 years if beyond easy but who said it was easy. I would not say that I am calorie decficit either. I do not have an issue with getting the calories that are recommended for me. They may not always be the healthiest calories but they are there. I also stay pretty active in the gym at least 5x a week, average about 15 miles a week jogging, minor weight training, and wet sauna. I know if I want to focus on muscle definition, something will have to give with my eating. Maybe meal replacement shakes are in order?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I found I didn't like a lot of stuff until it was prepared in different ways. I now love certain vegetables I used to hate. The problem for me is my parent's got everything out of a can never fresh when I was a kid. Therefore I wanted mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, chips, pizza, french fries, etc. etc. because that other stuff was yukkkkk.

Now that I've learned how to cook I love experimenting and trying new things.
  • nest9
    Options
    Therefore I wanted mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, chips, pizza, french fries, etc. etc. because that other stuff was yukkkkk.

Sounds like you've been watching me eat!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was very picky as a kid. I'm still working through some of my issues. I suggest being a little harder on yourself and telling yourself to try something new every week, or month. Go at your own pace, but make it happen. And try to have a positive attitude. You can learn to like new things, if you give them a fair shake. Sometimes it takes more than one try, but you just have to keep trying.

Since you seem to like carb-rich foods, I would suggest "masking" some of the things you dislike by adding it to your pastas or sandwiches. Try it a little bit at a time. Barely any. Then add a little more. Then once you get used to that, try finding other recipes that feature that food item in a different way. Also, you're probably better off starting with "bland" food items than those known for being strong. You'll get there, if you put in the effort and come at it from the right angle and be optimistic with it.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten most things very well, except meat, and I'm with you there. :) Having said that, I do have a texture issue, and I don't like some things prepared some ways or smothered in sauces, etc... Have you tried any or all of the things you didn't like as a kid again as an adult? Sometimes it's the preparation that's gross, such as way over cooked veggies, or the worst thing in my world, soggy bread (gag). I would also suggest trying organic varieties of veggies you don't like, if possible. I found, for instance, that organic carrots were a WORLD away from regular carrots - so much sweeter and more delicious.

Keep trying... You're in control now, and you can do it! :)
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    As I am sure that you probably know, year after year your taste buds change...I am also a very picky eater and when I find something I like I will eat it daily...Check out my diary, I eat the same things every single day for months sometimes...But, I have realized that now that I am older I have tried quite a few things that I hated when I was younger and found that I now like - Yogurt was something I did not like and now love...Also, I have found that I don't like some things that I used to love, like spinach...I used to LOVE spinach and I ate some a couple of weeks ago and I really don't like it at all now, and meats - I used to love ALL meats and now I will not eat most of them b/c of texture and taste....So, what I am trying to say is take a small bite of things that you don't think you like and maybe you will now like it...It never hurts to try..At the very least you may find that you like more food than you think....

In the meantime drink protein shakes to get some protein in your diet and make sure to take a multi-vitamin to get some nutrients that you may be lacking in right now....Best of luck to you...
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    The hubs would say I'm still a picky eater, but I've come a long way since I met him. It helps that he's a chef. I thought I hated all veggies, but I just like them cooked a certain way. I still don't care for seafood, but I have at least tried everything he's made for me. Fortunately, my kids like pretty much everything.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    NotAllWhoWanderAreLost Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    i have one son with multiple food allergies and another son who has Asperger's Syndrome and is very picky about foods because of that, plus we have some religious dietary restrictions, so i deal with picky eating all the time... I was pretty picky as a child, and am somewhat picky now, though no where near as much. Here are some thoughts:

Did you know that your taste buds completely change within every 7 years. Maybe some things you have tried in the past could be tried again. I know its hard. TRUST ME. Maybe start out trying the things that were OK, but not favorites, to see if you like them a little more this time.

You can make things cauliflower in a way similar to mashed potatoes. Sounds gross, i know, but i hear its good.

You can try the zucchini tots recipe thats been very popular here on MFP (search the forum for the recipe). Its similar to tater tots, so if you like those, you might just like the zuke tots.

One of my favorite snacks might be something that would work for you: a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese, 4 or 5 crackers, a clementine (like a tiny, sweet, orange if you're unfamiliar) and a cup of mint tea.

You can try things like homemade sweet potato "fries" (oven baked) which are similar to something you already like, but are healthier.

You can also try adding in cooked/pureed carrots, zucchini, squash, peppers, etc into soups or spagetti sauce.

Freeze berries and fruits that you enjoy when they're on sale then toss them in the blender with a bit of water or juice and some greek yogurt for a smoothie. (If textures bother you, stay away from raspberries as they have a lot of seeds)

If you like peanut butter and strawberries or bananas, try making a roll-up sandwich with diced fresh fruit & pb -- like a pb & j but less sugar! -- makes great picnic food, btw!

Dice up some veggies into TINY TINY TINY pieces and add them to your pizza under the cheese.

Try some new spices and take note of ethnic cuisines you prefer and explore the cuisine further when you find something that is pleasing to you.

Find a quality whole-foods based multi-vitamin to help fill in nutritional gaps. (I recommend Nature's Way Alive!)

Look into protein sources that you DO like. If you up your protein, you'll have to cut back on your carbs, which will help your overall nutritional profile, IMO.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Manrahan
    Manrahan Posts: 40
    Options
    fellow picky eater bumpin for later
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    My family have a saying when it comes to food...

"You don't have to like everything you eat, but you do need to learn how to EAT everything".

Basically, you teach yourself to become accustomed to food, even if it's not your favorite thing in the world. There are things I don't like, but I've learned how to eat them in small portions. It makes it easier on us and others if we have a meal at someones home and to get the nutrition we require.

I agree with others that slowly expanding your food options is a wise thing to do. It'll just make your life easier! :happy:
  • nest9
    Options

"You don't have to like everything you eat, but you do need to learn how to EAT everything".

Wow! Talk about discilpine! No way I could ever get to that point, but may consider expanding my options.

Thanks.