Snacking

Options
What low calorie/healthy snacks keep you going?

Replies

• takechances
    Options
    This is my lunch, but most people would consider it a snack.
    1/2 c fat free cottage cheese : 80 calories
    2 tbsp Polaner Sugar Free Blackberry Preserves (Don't let sugar free fool you, it's very sweet.) : 20 calories

Keeps me full for HOURS.
  • faithbowling18
    Options
    Holy crap lol yeah, I'd probably snack on that (about half a portion). My lunch is always a salad (about 40 calories) with cauliflower and 1 tbsp fat free ranch (about 50 calories) and some sort of protein, like today white grilled fish fillet (70 calories). If I'm really hungry, I'll add an apple :p
    Thanks for your input!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Carrots, fruit (depends on what's in season), kashi heart to heart whole grain crackers with or without hummus, 4oz of kraft cheddar cheese and 14 saltine crackers are my usual go to foods for snacking on.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp Polaner Sugar Free Blackberry Preserves (Don't let sugar free fool you, it's very sweet.) : 20 calories

Keeps me full for HOURS.

It's sweet because it's made with an artificial sweetener.
  • moonlightturk
    Options

Keeps me full for HOURS.

Do you always eat a 100 cal lunch? I hope you don't do that for dinner and breakfast too - you'd be depriving yourself of necessary nutrients...your call though.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Right now, I'm sitting at my desk at work snacking on horseradish chicken salad with homemade flat bread chips. (301 calories)

Earlier I had an ounce of wasabi soy sauce almonds and a piece of Orange Dark Chocolate. (178 calories)

I made a protein smoothie for this morning with cottage cheese, protein powder, egg whites (pastuerized), a small banana and strawberries (319)

I also brought carrots and hummus...

I snack all day but I plan it out.

If you'd like to take a peek at my diary, just about all of my "meals" are snacks. I'm such a grazer.
  • takechances
    Options
    Yes, that's my lunch most days. But I usually snack higher calories like nuts and crackers. Maybe even toast and jelly!
    And I eat a nutrient-dense higher calorie dinner about 3-4 hours after lunch. :)
    It works for me.
  • faithbowling18
    Options
    Right now, I'm sitting at my desk at work snacking on horseradish chicken salad with homemade flat bread chips. (301 calories)

Earlier I had an ounce of wasabi soy sauce almonds and a piece of Orange Dark Chocolate. (178 calories)

I made a protein smoothie for this morning with cottage cheese, protein powder, egg whites (pastuerized), a small banana and strawberries (319)

I also brought carrots and hummus...

I snack all day but I plan it out.

If you'd like to take a peek at my diary, just about all of my "meals" are snacks. I'm such a grazer.

Thanks, I snack throughout the day as well. I work out before breakfast and lunch, sometimes right after work so I try to keep my metabolism going by eating every 2 hours. Mostly granola bars and whole almonds. I feel like the granola bars are just a waste of 90 calories though, and I'm in the Air Force so it's hard to get anything but what's convenient like packaged food.
  • kalbo_al
    kalbo_al Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas in here. I work 12hr work days, so by the last 3-4 hours I've finished my lunch, apple and nutri-grain bar so I'm looking for something to keep me content until I get home for dinner. Anyone have suggestions as to the best nuts or seeds to snack on?
  • chojolitos
    chojolitos Posts: 100
    Options
    almonds, pumpkin seeds:laugh:
  • kalbo_al
    kalbo_al Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks. love almonds, but don't think i can recall last time i had pumpkin seeds. :smile:
  • kristenegeorge
    kristenegeorge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be surprised at all of the snack options that are out there. All fruits will give you a great energy boost and have great nutritional value. Some fruits even cause your body to burn more calories while digesting them than they actually contain. Some examples of these are Kiwi, Raspberries, and Strawberries. The same goes for a lot of vegetables. Celery is the most well known, but Cauliflower, Asparagus, and Broccoli are also just as great, if not better.

Also, try granola bars. They're low on cals, but have amazing powers (or so I think...). They fill you up, give you great key nutrients, and most have about 90 cals. Plus, they're oh so delicious.

P.s. With a little peanut butter, fruits and vegetables can serve almost as half a meal, and you STILL get lots of protein.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Sabra roasted red pepper hummus and veggies! LOVE LOVE LOVE that stuff!
  • faithbowling18
    Options
    Your protein shake is genius. i normally do banana and peanut butter.. and tons of ice cause it makes it like twice as big and tricks me into thinking I eat more. I'm a grazer too. It's good for you :)
  • faithbowling18
    Options
    almonds are amazing, and triscuits keep me pretty full as well. if you put 1 serving in a little baggy, you'll keep from over snacking!