Pasta is the devil

Options
Sweets aren't really my go to thing. It's always been carbs. Brea, pasta, potatoes. I could exist on carbs alone. Ok, maybe cheese too. Does anyone know of any substitutes for carbs that are actually satisfying?

Replies

• overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Protein. Healthy fats.

When I eat carbs I crave more carbs. It will take you a few days to wean yourself off a high carb diet, but you will feel so much better!

Think of it this way: Carbs are just sugar. Sugar is literally addicting.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Carbs. lol Nothing is wrong with carbs, you just have to learn to control yourself around it. If you can't, fill up on protein, fiber and healthy fats.

I'm really bad with pasta too... I can't stick to just one serving, it's never enough, so I started buying from Fiber Gourmet... their pasta is about 130 calories per 2 oz serving, so I won't feel guilty having 2 servings. ;)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I fill up better on things like steak and potroast without the sides, sometimes eggs (I find those are easy to get tired of, though, no matter how you cook them). I snack on healthy cheeses made with milk, and I drink milk in my coffee. All of these things keeps me full longer than pasta, even though I love the stuff, too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't evil... Just make sure u get your protein and veg in too.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    That is my problem, I am a carb FREAK!! I could live off of pastas and bread!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Carbanada fettucini. It's about half the carbs as regular pasta and has I think 6g of fiber and a lot of protein. here's the website: http://www.aldentepasta.com/

I get it at www.netrition.com but I've seen it at The Fresh Market and I think this website tells you where else it is available.

Carbquik is a good baking mix substitute. Again you can get it at www.netrition.com or amazon (it's cheaper on netrition). It's website is http://www.tovaindustries.com/carbalose/page1.html It only has 2g net carbs because most of it is fiber, but it makes really good baked products. I've made cobblers and banana bread so far.

I do lower carb, high protein and stick to around 100g of carbs a day. I try to get most of them from fruits and veggies with a few lower carb substitutes like i mentioned above.
  • krazykelz1978
    Options
    Carbs are my enemy too. I could live perfectly happy without sweets, but take my bread, pasta, and potatoes away and I'm the biggest hag. That has been my struggle. I'm finding that if I can limit them, but still have them in limited qtys or healthier options I'm less grouchy. Good luck!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil. That's just silly. A low Carb diet is just a low calorie diet in disguise. Eat within your limit and you're fine.
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I know I know. I'm looking for a magical no calorie carb. Anyone? LOL
    Protein. Healthy fats.

When I eat carbs I crave more carbs. It will take you a few days to wean yourself off a high carb diet, but you will feel so much better!

Think of it this way: Carbs are just sugar. Sugar is literally addicting.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I don't eat white potatoes anymore, but love sweet potatoes .........

Regular pasta, no way ...... but a little rice pasta seems ok ......

Most breads are off limits to me ...... they cause cravings ..... except Ezekial breads, Arnold thins, and a little sourdough .....

It's all trial & error ..... find out what works for you & best of luck !
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Options
    Ok, so carbs are my devil. I can avoid cake, candy, etc. Put some bread in front of me and my brain goes crazy.
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Options
    What about quinoa? Not sure if I spelled that correctly, but I was too lazy to look it up. I've heard it's high in protein. Has anyone tried it?
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A low Carb diet is just a low calorie diet in disguise.

Uh, no.

I can eat the same calories in protein/fat/veggies and I will feel totally full for hours. Give me pasta, rice, beans, bread (esp bread!) and I will be starving an hour or two later.

When calories are equal, I still feel completely differently on days when my diet is high carb rather than low carb.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Focus on your portion sizes. Try to hit your other macros first. A serving of breads or rice or pasta is a lot smaller than most people tend to assume it is. Starting eating smaller portions of it and over time things should better fall into place. Moderation is the key here, I think.
  • rhinowithonehorn
    Options
    pasta is tastes amazing but thats the problem it just converts to glucose and your body burns that instead of fat. It is also appetitie stimulating along with bread and potatoes.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Carbanada fettucini. It's about half the carbs as regular pasta and has I think 6g of fiber and a lot of protein. here's the website: http://www.aldentepasta.com/

I get it at www.netrition.com but I've seen it at The Fresh Market and I think this website tells you where else it is available.

Carbquik is a good baking mix substitute. Again you can get it at www.netrition.com or amazon (it's cheaper on netrition). It's website is http://www.tovaindustries.com/carbalose/page1.html It only has 2g net carbs because most of it is fiber, but it makes really good baked products. I've made cobblers and banana bread so far.

I do lower carb, high protein and stick to around 100g of carbs a day. I try to get most of them from fruits and veggies with a few lower carb substitutes like i mentioned above.

This ^^^^^
    I would like to add to what my Friend said above. I am like the OP and missed Pasta so much on Atkins. I found low carb dreamfield pasta worked for me and did not stall my weight loss when I was on Atkins induction phase 20 carbs or less for 3 weeks. The key is you must cook it exactly as directions say and never reheat it. I just bought Atkins pasta and it is good also. I have used carbquick for dumplings and breading for chicken nuggets, fish etc. I tried Atkins mix instead and prefer it for my fish,shrimp, chicken. You can have your pasta still and I cannot tell the difference in texture or taste. Dreamfield low carb pasta is my favorite and without it I could not stay low carbs. I never eat more than 100 carbs and try to stay closer to 50-72 after deducting the fiber content.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil. That's just silly. A low Carb diet is just a low calorie diet in disguise. Eat within your limit and you're fine.

This ^^^^^^
    If only the statement the person who wrote above was true for me,Sadly it is not true for me and many people who turn to low carb counting as a last resort. There are many people like me who are insulin resistant, our carbs even healthy ones are stored as fat not energy. When I cut the carbs to 20 it did not matter the amount of calories I lost 14 lbs on very low carbs without counting calories and 1 lb thus far counting carbs and still staying under 100 carbs minus fiber. I know even staying around 100 carbs I am not losing and at a stall eating 1200,1400, 1500, 1650 tried all these numbers. My calories are way under my BMR and what MFP suggests. I fear eating 1800 calories or more. I know the only way for me to get the scale to move downwards is cutting carbs back to between 25-50. People have lost on Atkins and eaten 3000 calories, and fatty foods.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    boiled radish is kinda potatoey (but more watery kinda) jicama
    shirataki
    almond flour/coconut flour/flax meal
  • caraiselite
    Options
    What about quinoa? Not sure if I spelled that correctly, but I was too lazy to look it up. I've heard it's high in protein. Has anyone tried it?

its a bit higher in carbs, but pretty tasty! i like it.
  • caraiselite
    Options

lies.

to OP please don't believe people like this!