Another Cholesterol Question

Options
This may have been answered but I didn't see it... is there a minimum cholesterol level you should be shooting for in your food journals? I know the max is 300mg for most but I wasn't sure if there was a minimum. I know some cholesterol is good and has a place in your diet. I'm coming in very, very low... like under 100mg but right on target for fat and calories. I was told my cholesterol is borderline high :sad: so I'm trying to make sure I do what I need to do to make it go down. The Dr. just told me to exercise and limit white starches (duh)....

Replies

• sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am not sure about the number but I can tell you that fish oil caplets in the vitamin section does help lower the cholesterol. I am allergic to all the medications and mine was right at 250 and now it is 152 and I take the fish oil caplets and watch what I eat and yes exercise too. Just wanted to let you know because weight loss and exercise did not drop mine like the doctor first thought it would then he told me about the fish oil and that seems to work well along with diet and exercise. God Bless, brenda
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    i am to suffering from high cholesterol, have been for a few yrs.. i didn't know that fish oil caps would do anything for that. so thanks for that bit of info.
  • kattiek
    Options
    There's been a lot of stuff circulating the nutrition world lately about cholesterol, fat, and heart disease. The latest thing is that dietary cholesterol doesn't really influence your cholesterol levels. Your body produces it regardless of whether you eat it or not. Cholesterol can only be found in animal products, so if you think about it, it is possible for a vegan to have relatively high cholesterol levels and that's obviously not from what they're eating. As far as dietary influence, they're saying the culprit is saturated fat. So while I still wouldn't go crazy and indulge in high cholesterol foods, I would focus more on controlling saturated fat intake. Also exercise does help, it's been known to raise your HDLs, the "good" cholesterol. I think I remember something about whole grains being helpful too. There have been a lot of blogs about this on nutritiondata.com lately so if you wanna know more I'd check it out.