Here I go again!

I'm posting under the subject of "Introduce Yourself", but I'm actually reintroducing myself. I can't say for sure what happened, but I fell off the wagon in a BIG way!!!! I stopped tracking, stopped exercising, ate more, and cared less. I could say that I've had a lot going on in my life.....my one and only child graduated from High School and is heading for college in the fall, lots of time and energy devoted to that process.....but, of course, that would just be an excuse. I've gained 7 pounds since I fell off the wagon, and I feel like crap, physically and mentally. Not to mention, I'm starting to grow out of my fat clothes! When I first began this journey, the goal was definitely to NEED to buy new clothes......BUT THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE A SMALLER SIZE!!!!!

So last night, I challenged myself to take off all my clothes, and look at myself in the mirror......not a pretty sight. I was abhorred by what I saw. For what I saw was, a woman who has let herself go, who stopped caring about what she looked like and about her health (oh yeah, did I mention I'm a diabetic), and who was starting to slide into depression again. Really feeling as though I don't have much to be happy about. Then I said.......

.....Hold on a minute!!! Do not allow yourself to go down that path again.....pull yourself up and start over again!!! Hence, here I am. I know the next few months are going to be a real challenge for me, as my life is about to change drastically. My son will be starting college at the end of August, which means that I will, for the first time in my life, be living alone. Not a prospect I'm looking forward to. I would really appreciate any support you all can give me.....as it is no longer a question of just wanting to lose weight and get healthy.....it's a matter of, do it or my unhealthy lifestyle will jeopardize my health.

Thanks all for listening!

Replies

• shoyrob
    shoyrob Posts: 25
    Since your son is starting a new chapter in his life, you should too. Take this time and focus more on yourself and your health. Good luck!
  • RoseBred
    RoseBred Posts: 96 Member
    I'm posting under the subject of "Introduce Yourself", but I'm actually reintroducing myself. I can't say for sure what happened, but I fell off the wagon in a BIG way!!!! I stopped tracking, stopped exercising, ate more, and cared less. .......When I first began this journey, the goal was definitely to NEED to buy new clothes......BUT THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE A SMALLER SIZE!!!!!

My response to that: I am in the same boat. I started this MFP thing in 2007 and only had one entry. Years later, today, I found it back on my computer and my weight was way higher than it was then! So I also reintroduced myself! LOL Just crazy busy with the kids and life, and like you, we put ourselves on the backburner. So I am started over as today. WELCOME!!!
  • stonegirldancing
    stonegirldancing Posts: 37 Member
    Right on! I just came back on here after 2 years of neglecting. I battle with depression as well and know how rough it can be to get out of the negative thinking. You're a strong woman and mom! Best of luck to you and this is definitely a great place for support!
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Welcome back! :)
  • Glad you're back Jewels! Looking forward to following your journey :D
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Welcome back! Glad that you decided to do this for you, and please add me as a friend if you like.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    you sound like me!I fell off the wagon and got back on again in April this year Ive lost 22lbs since then,I wont say my life is hard but it is a challange we have 5 children number 2 about to start college in September first one to change college course my mum who is 83 lives with us and has Alzheimers she isint too severe but is almost totally blind,I hit the gym at 6.45 before I know she will be awake and it keeps my sanity intact. its not the physical work that is difficult but having to maintain constant vigilance,I dont have sisters or broyhers so no one to call on to give me a break,I may get a week in August if I can get a respite bed for her but everywhere is full so it dosnt look likely.
    Anyway enough of that,Id say to you fill up as much of your life as you can is there anything you have always wanted to do but couldnt because you didnt have the time? Think you could open up some exciting prospects ,if you want me to be a friesnd add me,and the best of luck.:smile:
  • Goingforthegoal2
    Goingforthegoal2 Posts: 1 Member
    You can do this! With living alone you will have the opportunity to have only "good for you" things around to eat. No more buying chips because "your son likes them'. When I was single, it was the best shape I have ever been in, I could make healthy meals that nobody would complain about and I took time for myself to work out. This is a new beginning in your life and its time to focus on yourself for once!
  • jewels120958
    jewels120958 Posts: 6 Member
    WOW....ask and you shall receive! How wonderful to see this outpouring of support, and from strangers no less. Thank you all for welcoming me back into the fold. I have started tracking my food as of today. Not saying I was completely within my goal #'s for the day, but I am at least keeping track. I read a magazine article last night about a woman who has lost 100 Lbs. She said she started off with realistic goals.....10 lbs at a time, and she started her exercise routine with a mere 5 minutes of walking a day. When I read that, I made me feel like maybe losing weight doesn't have to feel like such a monumental challenge. She also said she cut out one "bad food" type at a time. So rather than giving up carbs completely, she started out just eliminating chocolate. Again, this made me feel much less apprehensive about the task I'm about to undertake. I feel that I have very little, if any, willpower, so I will have to draw it from this wonderful support system that makes up My Fitness Pal. Thanks all again!