'The weight didn't come on overnight' my butt!

Options
Apologies but this is definitely going to be more of a rant than anything, but I hope maybe someone has an answer that isn't as depressing as mine.

So I did Insanity. Following every day exactly and never skipped a workout. Didn't follow the nutrition guide for the first half (i still tried to eat healthy though) and jumped back into MFP for the second half. Lost 10 pounds! It's been a couple weeks since I've finished now and I'm in a transition phase of looking for a new workout regimen (have found a promising weight-training program that I'm going to start today).

So for the past couple weeks I've mostly been doing different toning workouts from the Nike Training Club App for iPhone. Wasn't seeing a change so last week I upped my calories (so now they're at my TDEE for my goal weight, about 1700) thinking that maybe my prior deficit (about 1200) wasn't doing the trick.

Last couple days I've been pretty naughty (did a SUPER tough workout on Friday but ate at a bbq that evening that I'm pretty sure put me over, and Saturday didn't workout and was doing fine until I was at a friend's house and everyone decided to order pizza).
Get on the scale this morning and all of a sudden I've GAINED two pounds over night?! I understand if my weight isn't moving, but is my body so pissed at me that it'll gain like crazy but when I actually work at it I won't lose an ounce?!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Pizza has lots of sodium... It probably isn't proper weight...
  • Pacileo4Evers
    Pacileo4Evers Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight, High sodium( pizza) = water retention. try drinking more water. this is normally where my weight gain comes from.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Pizza has lots of sodium... It probably isn't proper weight...

This. And working out or ramping up your regular workout can make you retain water, too. Unless you ate 7000 calories more than you used exercising and just maintaining bodily function, you did not gain 2 pounds!
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to gain two pounds of fat in a night. Drink a bunch of water and wait a couple days.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Have you... you know... done your personal business yet?

I did immediately think it would be water retention due to the amount of salt in normal food.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    Weigh yourself and drink 3 16 ounce bottles of water, weigh again.
    Let me know the difference.
    Just keep focused on over all and not day to day.
  • jo_dibs
    jo_dibs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can gain weight overnight. But you don't typically gain actual fat. That takes a little longer. Relax, and just get back on track. Everyone is allowed a day or two. You'll be fine! :)
  • marinesweetheart
    marinesweetheart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the story of my life..If I go ONE day w. out working out even if I stick to my caloric intake, I WILL gain at least 1.5 lbs.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I agree, the sodium in both the BBQ food (BBQ sauce is a killer for sodium, and a lot of the grilled things end up salty) and the pizza are probably contributing to water weight. I've gained up to 3 lbs before after having a few high sodium days. Those couple of pounds will disappear over the next 24-48 hours. Eating more potassium can also help regulate your water weight/blood pressure.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm usually 3 pounds heavier then day after pizza.

It's water weight. Ignore it.
  • Michellemtjpjt
    Options
    I agree the high sodium food, sweets, cards that bad ones put on the pounds that always happen to me :(
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    should be water weight,yes 1700 is a good number to eat at,so keep continuing at that.weight fluctuates a lot during the week when you are adding muscle and losing fat.be patient,over the weeks you will see that you are still losing,dont go nuts with the scale.
  • BRANDYGR8MOVES
    BRANDYGR8MOVES Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    lots of sodium in pizza sounds like water weight i hate getting slapped in the face like that drink lots of water today and flush it out
  • smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Like many others it is probably water weight and have you had a bowel movement in the last day or so? I know weird question but that does add some as well. Call me crazy but I hate getting on the scale unless I have had one.
  • dhoddy
    dhoddy Posts: 35
    Options
    I guess I was so caught up in the emotion dance that I totally forgot about the whole water retention thing (plus Aunt Flo is in town so that probably has something to do with it).
    Thanks you guys, as much as I hate seeing the number change like that on the scale, I guess I need to just keep on keepin on right?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Water plus food weight, not fat weight.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    exactly what above posters said. you fluctuate in weight by a few pounds all day. if you stay within your calories, drink plenty of water, you will drop it in a day or 2! i ate bad 2 days in a row and gained 2 pounds this morning but i dont mind, i know after eating better today and drinking my water, i will drop it by tuesday!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Pizza = high sodium, You gotta flush it out with lots of water. Did I mention water? And son't forget to drink more water. :-)
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    BBQ and pizza plus exercise = water retention. Drink more water and keep rolling.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    eh, that's just like one big crap and a couple bladderfuls