Single parents with lots to lose

Options
Hi All,

After my divorce in December 2011, I found myself in a depression and packing on pounds to an already overweight body. I knew I needed to do something. I have 2 young boys ( 18 months and 5 years) who are looking to me to set an example. In April 2012 I started a 90 day fitness Challenge with Beachbody. This has been the catalyst for coming out of my depression and starting to live a healither life for myself and my 2 boys. I've lost 28 lbs so far, but would like to lose an additional 125.

I would love the support and friendship of other single parents going through similar life changes. I'd like to know what recipes work with your kids and how you manage to fit exercize into an already busy schedule. Looking forward to hearing your stories and goals!

Replies

• aquamarine36
    Options
    Hello,

I'm just getting started on my weight loss journey. I have a 13-year-old son, and I am a full-time court reporting student. After a very painful divorce and I am trying to get my life and health back on track. I find myself very unhealthy and not feeling so great. I am determined to become healthy and this is the first time I feel ready to do that.

With my school schedule, I am constantly sitting and my feet start to swell up after a long day. I feel awful when this happens. I am ready to make a change. I started Turbo Fire yesterday in addition to my walking schedule - which I try and do every day.

It's nice to meet you, and I am here for you if you need any support or encouragement!
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you. I am looking forward to trying Turbofire. So far I have been doing Slim in 6 and Hip Hop Abs.
    Have you found much resistance from your son with your new eating habits? My 5 year old complained some in the beginning but he is getting used to the healthier food we eat. He's now even starting to ask me if certain foods are healthy or not and recognizing the difference.
  • aquamarine36
    Options
    My son has been very supportive of the changes I am making. He and I are very close, and he has told me that he is very proud of me for wanting to be more healthy. He sees me eat huge salads with lots of vegetables, and he has asked to try baby spinach, red bell peppers, and mushrooms as a result. Now I can get him to eat baby spinach on a sandwich for lunch. He has definitely seen me struggle, and I hope that I am setting a good example for him by making healthy changes in my diet. I love veggies, and so making them a priority in my day has been relatively easy for me.

It's not always easy though because he loves McDonalds and I find myself taking him there and I end up giving in to eating some things that might not be the best choices for me. At the same time, I do not expect myself to be perfect because that sets me up for failure. I think that it's okay to splurge every once in a while. So I take it one day at a time.

I think that you are setting a good example for your 5-year-old. He is learning from you! :smile:
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hi there.... I don't have a ton more to lose, but I can relate to being a single parent and the stress of it... and I am an emotional eater, so when I stress I eat!

I have two boys, ages 16 and 12, and I have been divorced for 11 years. My ex took off to British Columbia to avoid child support, and he rarely sees the boys. Sad.... but we get through it.

I was also diagnosed with Celiac Disease in April, so I have been gluten free since then.

Hugs! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm not single, but I have two little girls who are 3 and 2. I'm a stay at home mom and full time college student and also taking classes for medical transcription. I'm busy busy! I just exercise when I can, when the kids go to bed at night I ride my exercise bike for a while, I've been doing quick workout videos. I try and cook more brown rice than potatoes, I've been really pushing veggies more and more on the kids too. I try and get them to eat healthy anyway, regardless of my choices, but I'm choosing better things. We have more fruit in the house now, which they love, though each kid likes something different. My 3 year old encourages me actually, it's nice.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Hi there.... I don't have a ton more to lose, but I can relate to being a single parent and the stress of it... and I am an emotional eater, so when I stress I eat!

I have two boys, ages 16 and 12, and I have been divorced for 11 years. My ex took off to British Columbia to avoid child support, and he rarely sees the boys. Sad.... but we get through it.

I was also diagnosed with Celiac Disease in April, so I have been gluten free since then.

Hugs! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like!

I'm sorry for you guys having to go through that =( My mom was a single parent, my father worked under the table, i'm not 25 years old and he owes over 20k in child support. It is hard, takes a strong mom to get through it! Props to you =)