I have a new found respect for people who run outdoors!

Options

Replies

• Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    Running outdoors is awesome. I never had access to a treadmill, I guess I am lucky that I get to run in a quite rural and beautiful setting but I could never imagine running on a treadmill.
  • sarahjay1
    sarahjay1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I also find if I run really far in one direction, you have to get back so have to keep running (I suppose you could walk but thats cheating) :bigsmile:

Definitely this! I am working on running for longer periods of time non-stop. Today I ran 28 minutes...so I knew I had to run 14 minutes before I turn around. When I turn around, I know I am halfway done and it is extra motivation not to stop.
  • smareeh
    smareeh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I normally am a treadmill runner. Yesterday my husband was home and it was cooler so I decided to try outside. My shins hurt sooo bad and I did not go near as far or hard because they hurt so bad and then it started raining (first time in weeks) So my hubby came and got me on the 4wheeler and I finished on the treadmill. I will most definitely try again but first experience was horrible.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I started my training on a treadmill....mostly because I was too self concious to run outside.

But now, it's always outdoors. I love it. I use the Nike+ app for my phone so I know how far I've gone and when to turn around.

I don't think I could ever go back to a treadmill. I'm researching cold-weather running gear now so I'll be prepared this winter! :bigsmile:
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I love running outdoors! The best part is the scenery!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I normally am a treadmill runner. Yesterday my husband was home and it was cooler so I decided to try outside. My shins hurt sooo bad and I did not go near as far or hard because they hurt so bad and then it started raining (first time in weeks) So my hubby came and got me on the 4wheeler and I finished on the treadmill. I will most definitely try again but first experience was horrible.
    I ran in the rain today...would have been great if it weren't for the truck that passed too close to the curb and covered me in muddy water! :laugh: But it sure beat being hot...
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Running outside > Treadmill.

Treadmills are boring and you don't get the resistance that you get when you run on the cement with all the hills and stuff. I guess unless you put it on an incline... but treadmills are still boring.
  • Dionysus35
    Dionysus35 Posts: 74
    Options
    Running outdoors uses more fine muscles as well. It's like bench-pressing a free great outdoors!!bar vs. using a machine. Enjoy the great outdoors!!
  • Spartan518
    Spartan518 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great Job JW! The outdoors can be intimidating...but I think that is where we'll find not only great places to see and work out but also the glory of God's creation. Keep at it young man ;-)
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Ha. I've always run outside and finally got the nerve to run on the treadmill yesterday. My shins were KILLING me, and I'm a bit sore today. Go figure.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Running outside is awesome. Running on a treadmill makes me want to shoot myself in the head.

^^^^^^ YEP!
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Pro tip: Keep your head up. As cliched as it sounds, you feel better, you can actually breathe better, and you're not as sore. And of course, there's pride- you deserve to hold your head high!
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love running outdoors. 3 miles helps me burn up to 600 calories, while on the treadmill I reach 400-450! I don't have a large park or side walks near so I don't feel comfortable running if it's after dark.
  • macpacman
    macpacman Posts: 64
    Options
    Just like with the stationary bike, running on a treadmill gets boring very very fast. Running or biking outdoors allows many variables to take part in your workout: wind, sun, rain, hills etc.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Running outside is awesome. Running on a treadmill makes me want to shoot myself in the head.

This.
  • APHerrera
    APHerrera Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I used to only run on the treadmill and even then rarely... but now I run outside (using the free C25K app on the iphone) and it is so much harder! Lots of fun though.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I hate running,period. Although, Outdoors > treadmill any day of the week.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    It really is different! I agree complete.

Good for you for challenging yourself. I have been running since January and every run is completely different when I run outdoors. When all the elements change (i.e. hot weather, cold weather, rain, wind, etc) then it really keeps you and your body challenged.

keep up the good work!
  • Kiswinning
    Kiswinning Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do a little of both, I push myself harder on the treadmill. But I love running outside in the spring and fall.
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Must have been awesome...Damn, I miss Philly!