Ideas

Options
Lately I have been working out by swimming. Yesterday I was a little bored with going round and around in a pool, so I went for a walk at the grave yard, put on a camelpack, took two five pound weights, and walked for half hour with them. It felt good but I got bored. And after feeling sore and tired, to find out I maybe only burned 240 calories was a bummer.

I hate gyms. One I don't like to be around people when I work out. Two, looking at a wall makes me BORED. I can't read and walk/run/row whatever at the same time, it throws me off. TV shows again throw me off, and music is good and all but even that doesn't help fix looking at four walls, carpet, and maybe the pool below at the gym.

I have some work out dvds at home, but my problem is, if I work out for half an hour and only burn 240 calories compared to the 600 I am burning during swimming...I feel like I'm being ripped off when I come away more tired from the walk with the weights compared to nonstop swimming. So does anyone have any ideas on how to get that good calorie burn going in half an hour that won't bore me to tears? Fall will be coming soon and I need some ideas. I have 5 pound weights, resistance bands, biggest loser and jullian michaels dvds, power 90 dvds, mel b dvds, and a few other odd and ends work out dvds. I work nights and work does have a work out room, but working out at night at 2 a.m. has proven to be not a good idea with me.

So any thoughts?

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need a workout buddy, someone to talk to so you do not fall victim to your being BORED all the time. you say you do not like anyone around but what about one person to talk to and workout with like your boyfriend maybe or a real close friend. Everything works better when you have someone to push you.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sounds like for some reason you're judging your workouts by calorie burn.

When you exercise, focus on improving strength, endurance, fitness, health.
    When you eat focus on calories.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    I've tried to drag him along when I go to visit him, last time it didn't work. When he comes to visit me though I'm not giving him a choice. I used to have a work out partner, an army sgt, but he pushed me WAY too hard. It was always move move move move move move double time do this do that, and I would want to get sick every single time I worked out with him because of how hard we pushed. And I never really saw results with him. So far I've done well. I wouldn't mind a work out buddy that is like me. I always hated being stuck at the gym next to Barbie and then there's me and it's like oh goody....I get Barbie as the work out buddy in class LOL.
  • rackie515
    rackie515 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Motivation is KEY. Put some music on your Ipod that really gets you going, get on an elliptical, or treadmill, and focus only on YOU!! all the while when you are working out, Think of how amazing you will be when you reach your goal. When you first start to excercise it can be boring as hell, but as you see the change in your body you will become addicted.. remember you are doing this for YOU.. Just keeping saying, I will get there and I can do this. There is always a half an hour in a day to devote to yourself.... Good Luck
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You should focus your workouts on building muscle and endurance. Strength training will help you burn more calories throughout the entire day. I'm also curious if you're wearing an HRM? I can't imagine how you could be burning 600 calories in 1/2 hour of swimming :/
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sounds like for some reason you're judging your workouts by calorie burn.

When you exercise, focus on improving strength, endurance, fitness, health.
    When you eat focus on calories.
    This. Exercise is about fitness. Diet is about calories. If your sole focus when exercising is the calorie burn, you're doing it wrong. The only reason I pay any attention to my calorie burn is so I know how much to eat. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. The number of calories you burn has nothing to do with your fitness level, in fact, the more physically fit you are, the less calories you burn exercising.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    I'm keeping track of everything I do. I know exercising burns calories, calories burnt equals weight lost. So yes I want to lose more calories because I want to lose more weight. And it's because when I swim I'm not just playing around swimming, it's nonstop breast stroke swimming for half an hour or better, hence why the calories burnt are high. Plus I am overweight. That's why I was just so disappointed that half an hour of walking with weights equaled so little because I want to lose and I feel like under 300 isn't enough when I've got so much to go. So I just wanted to lose more by figuring out what work outs are the best to really get the burn in so to speak. That's all and also ones that are kinda interesting, not stare at a wall walking type of deal.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't know what else to tell you, but that somedays I don't like to exercise and I get bored, but I'm not doing it for fun or entertainment. I'm doing it to better myself and because it is essential to healthy/fit lifestyle. If you lack the motivation, sadly, no one can help you but yourself. Branch out from swimming and try other things. There's things like Zumba and kickboxing. Reach out and find something you like. If you're serious and commited to this change you won't make excuses and you will adapt! I also agree with what everyone else is saying that you shouldn't be working out for merely a calorie burn. Yes seeing a high number is nice, but it's not necessary. You can still get a killer workout with 200-300 cals burned.