Should Gyms Be Cellphone Free Zones

Options

Replies

• do4fit
    do4fit Posts: 23
    Options
    I use mine for the stopwatch/timer and sometimes music, but I do have a separate music player for the days that I don't need the timer. I have no issues with people using their phones for things like that, or if they will leave and take their calls else where. The gym is part of me time and I turn my phone functions OFF if I have it with me. I get the on call issue and such tho. I really haven't encountered to many people on their phones in my gym... mostly people who talk loudly to others in the gym... but I just turn up my music.
  • kristalfrissy
    kristalfrissy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I always have my cell with me including at the gym. I use it for my music mostly but during the school year I also need to have it with me at all times incase the school nurse needs to get ahold of me. She has called several times while I was at the gym--and I have answered and will always answer. Most of the time our conversations are very quick so I don't bother stepping outside--but I would never hold up equipment to talk to her either. I would step away but haven't ever had to yet. because I always seem to be on an elliptical or treadmill when she calls. .
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I use mine for music when im working out. I do however get angry at people who have everlasting over descriptive phone convos ( i once was next to a woman who was having an in depth conversation with her "man" about cheating ) and it is distracting and annoying. My zumba instructor actually advised all that he would single you out during the routine if he saw anyone on their cell phone after a few people were literally texting and swaying their hips instead of actually doing the routines.

my opinion is its ruining their own workout, i just move where i am and let them be.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I text AND mfp my *kitten* off at the gym.

I would never "talk" on the phone at the gym...or away from the gym. Lol.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    How am I going to take pictures of myself ripping brocurls in the mirror if cell phones become banned in the gym....
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Um no.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    People should have more sense than to be fiddling with their phones during their workout time.

Too many people are too attached to their phones.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    All the rooms in my gym say no talking on cell phone. I take mine with me, i use it for timing for resistance training etc, but I do not talk on it! And it definitely doesn't belong in a class setting regardless what kinda class! It's simple courtesies like this which are ignored that irritates me the worst!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    My son did an interesting oral report for a psych class last semester. The reason why we get so annoyed at public cell conversation is because We only hear one side of the conversation. As a result our brains are unconsciously try to decipher the unheard side of the cell call. That is why it's difficult to ignore a one sided conversation.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't think they should be banned, but I do think that people should take their calls outside. Sometimes I'm expecting a call and I'm sure as hell not going to sit around at home all day and wait for the phone to ring! Most of the time it's just in my bag and I'd never even hear it, but if I'm expecting a call I have it out at the gym, by whatever equipment I am using, and if it rings I go out the back door where it's quieter. My gym's like a club it has the music so loud. You couldn't hold a phone conversation even if you wanted to!

As far as the camera goes, I use mine (I have a youtube account for my lifts) but I'm respectful of others in the gym. They're not in the camera's view at all unless they're part of the filming themselves / don't mind.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My cellphone is my MP3 player. I also use it to jot down my reps, rather than using pen and paper.

I think it is a tool that can be integrated into the gym place/ school/ work if we learn etiquette and discipline ourselves.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I never talk on my phone at the gym... but I do use it to listen to music and to record my lifts in the notes application.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    I'm all for restricting cell phone use at the gym. My gym has a policy but people break it all the time; just last week, a woman climbed on the machine next to me, started her workout, then dialed her phone and talked for the next 10 minutes. I wanted to take her phone and chuck it across the room. Luckily, I have self control. Seriously, if you need to make a call, go into the lobby area, at the very least.

I put my cell phone in the locker while I'm working out. People can wait a couple of hours for me to return a call, and if it's urgent, those that need me know where I am.
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I work as a bank teller and it is so rude when people stay on their phones when you're trying to conduct their transactions and count their money back to them.
    Get off your damn phones when dealing with other people! Your conversation can wait the 3 minutes it takes to place an order, buy something or for your receipt to print off.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I use my smart phone to track my workouts and calories, so.. I'm not going back to pen and paper! :-) I dont' take calls in the gym, though.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yes, they should be banned like cigarettes.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i agree with most, don't take calls or whatever, if you need to talk that badly leave the workout area. As far as cameras go i agree it's a privacy issue and wish people would take cheesy bathroom shots rather than gym shots where i might see myself in the background.... but today a lot of people use their smartphones for a clock and a mp3 player which to me is both valid reasons to take a cell phone into a gym.
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    No, phones should not be banned at the gym or anywhere. However, I agree with possibly limiting the use of the cellphone while in the gym and in other areas. I use my phone in the gym for listening to music and watching videos. If I receive a call, I simply walk out during a break to return that phone call. If it is an emergency, I will step out to use my phone, as I do in class, meetings, at work, etc.

This makes sense to me. Sometimes a phone call has to be made, but it can be done with little to no interruptions if people just would use some common sense. :flowerforyou:
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The only time that cell phones annoy me is when I am in my gym's movie room. There is a no cell phone sign outside the room because people go in there to do cardio and watch a movie on the big screen. Some people come in and talk on their cell phones and have to scream into the phone because the movie is loud... drives me crazy.
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't think phones should be banned, but common courtesies should be used. I always have my phone with me, I listen to my music on it, through headphones, and log my workouts in mfp on it. But I don't talk on it unless I go outside and to be honest, it really depends on the caller as to whether I'll even bother to go outside and answer. I'm at the gym to workout, not play, and my mind is always on what I'm doing or about to do. I focus on me, not my phone.