Age and Metabolism?

Options
2»

Replies

• toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and had numerous health problems, thryroid, diabetes II, hb. and a few others but I am no longer hb, diabetes II is under control and well, the thyroid I'll have problems with for the rest of my life I am sure. Been and started here in March of this year and lost 80 lbs. already with a few more to go. Done it all exercising and trying to eat healthy. I would not say age has anything to do with anything. Unless of course you let it!!! Best of luck to you and always keep at it and never stop, even when you get to maintainance. LOG, exercise and eat healthier.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My belief is that changes in lifestyle is more of the culprit than a slowing metabolism. Any thoughts?

THIS ^^^^ But I would add health issues as the number one culprit before changes in lifestyle...like a difficult pregnancy or a major illness. These have a way of spiraling out of control when you get older because it is harder to heal and recover PLUS the youthful enthusiasm to keep yourself in shape gets shunted to the side with the greater demands of family and career.

Knowledge and desire are the major ingredient to weight loss and sometimes those are easier to come by with age!

Agreed. Your BMR decreases by about 100 calories every 10 years - not that much in the scheme of things. What can change a lot is your activity levels for a number of reasons, including those noted above. Not so sure age helps the desire though when you start feeling the aches and pains :wink: .
  • frugalcouponwife
    Options
    Coco_UK
    Hi. I'm pushing 47 and I totally hear you. I am in the same boat. I got hurt and had to stop working out for a long while and now, I'm having a really hard time of losing it. Especially my stomach. I never had a stomach until end of last year. For some reason, I feel like a watermelon seed started growing in my stomach and won't stop...lol
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Yes your metabolism if everything is kept the same goes down...Adding weight also speeds up metabolism :P
    It's also worth noting that activity level speeds up metabolism. I wasn't a large sedentary kid but let's say I was for a second. I'd still be able to maintain my 120 lbs at 5'7 and 10 years older eating 2000 calories a day.

Long story short, 10 years later I'm the weight I want to be and it didn't involve any suffering or large calorie cuts or a large activity change from what I use to be. So harder? Yeah, but hardly. I haven't notice a difference i my efforts to maintain now compared to then.