Does your job make weight loss difficult?

Options
My job sends me into convenience stores all day long. I basically look at and count food items all.day.long. I see and smell pizza, fried chicken, hotdogs, burgers, you name it. Chips, pastries, ice cream, candy, etc. I literally walk up and down the aisles and inspect all this stuff. It's hard enough having willpower just going grocery shopping; doing this job is about to make me lose my mind.

Who else here has a weird job situation that makes weight loss extra challenging?

Replies

• peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    C'mon, don't be shy :)
  • SLHartman
    SLHartman Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You do have quite the challenge! I find challenges with my job, though slightly different. I'm a middle school band director who is also highly involved with the high school band program. This being said, the first 4-5 months of school are the greatest challenge for me. My water intake goes down because I don't have regular access to a restroom, work hours are crazy due to extra after school rehearsals which means it's easier to swing by and pick up dinner from somewhere rather than make it. And don't even get me started on the delicious Friday night football game foods. That's my personal struggle. Best of luck with yours!
  • peasantgirly
    Options
    You do have quite the challenge! I find challenges with my job, though slightly different. I'm a middle school band director who is also highly involved with the high school band program. This being said, the first 4-5 months of school are the greatest challenge for me. My water intake goes down because I don't have regular access to a restroom, work hours are crazy due to extra after school rehearsals which means it's easier to swing by and pick up dinner from somewhere rather than make it. And don't even get me started on the delicious Friday night football game foods. That's my personal struggle. Best of luck with yours!

You need one of those huge water carriers that hikers use, I think it's called a camelbak. Yep, here it is:
    http://www.rei.com/product/811578/camelbak-lobo-hydration-pack-100-fl-oz
    Can you see yourself walking around school wearing one of those? :happy:
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Would it be appropriate for me to complain since I work from home?
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I work at a cereal production plant in the area that taste tests the cereal every two hours! So on work days I literally have to add that to my food diary. It's not so bad when we make bran flakes or something but when we produce all those kid cereals..oh man...especially on night shift. I struggle sometimes :)
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    Yes - I have a desk job and many times have to work overtime, so yes I would say it does make it difficult. However, the gym I use is at work so guess in a way it helps too. :ohwell: Wish I could be up and down more at my job though.
  • FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes I work in a police department and there are always treats and stuff being brought in
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm on the road probably 3 out of 5 days checking foreclosure houses. I stop at convenience stores all the time, so I totally feel your pain. Sometimes I get lucky and they have a low cal healthy snack I can grab, but sometimes it seems like it is all just junk. It's not easy.

Also, sitting in the car trying to cram as many properties into a day as you can makes it hard in general - it's nearly always fast food. I have just learned to balance the fast food and make good choices when I do have to stop. Or sometimes I eat breakfast at home and then skip lunch and eat a good dinner.

Also, I do work from home some days, and that is crazy hard, too. I actually eat more when I'm home I think!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Convenience store food is so gross for the most part. Just think of all the grubby hands that get near those things and it should kill your appetite pretty quickly. Also, at places where they have grill items, I have to wonder how often they wash the tongs (and how often they get dropped on the floor).

I would say that my job would have the potential to be a problem because I work long days (10 hours) and I am in the field so I don't usually have the benefit of a refrigerator or microwave. But, I have a nice insulated lunch box with ice packs that keeps my stuff cool, so no, my job is not a hindrance. I just carry stuff that can be eaten cold (salads w/ garbanzo beans & grilled chicken, fruit, yogurt, nuts, cheese, etc).

During the winter if I know I will be in the office at a reasonable time, I bring soup as a treat!
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I work in a doctor's office and drug reps bring food in for breakfast and lunch on most days. I have to have A LOT of discipline.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My desk job doesn't make losing weight any easier, that's for sure. I've become 'the crazy girl who runs on her lunch break and does squats at her desk'

Meh, gotta make do with the hand you've been dealt :)
  • ashypoo03
    ashypoo03 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow that would be hard for me too if I had to smell food everyday lol. My job is actually making it quite easy I work at a daycare so im always chasing around the kids. But currently I am working in the daycare's kitchen for another 2 weeks and I found it's HELPED my weight loss because there is a lot of healthy food in the kitchen and barely any junk food.. the only version of junk food in there is like digestive cookies and vegetable thins.. :) But I start a new job in August and it is located BESIDE McDonalds... and behind KFC which is going to make it more a challenge time to bring lunch to work!! :)
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well. I'm in the middle of a "steps challenge" and was shocked to find out I only take about 750 steps the entire time I'm at work! Everything I need is literally a few steps from my desk.

I can only use that as an excuse to a certain extent however. We have an awesome wellness program!
  • SLHartman
    SLHartman Posts: 142 Member
    Options

You need one of those huge water carriers that hikers use, I think it's called a camelbak. Yep, here it is:
    http://www.rei.com/product/811578/camelbak-lobo-hydration-pack-100-fl-oz
    Can you see yourself walking around school wearing one of those? :happy:

It's not the drinking part that I struggle with, it's getting rid of it, if you know what I mean! Only 2-3 minutes between classes and the bathroom is clear down the hall. :wink:
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My "job" is hard on me too. I go to school nine hours a day, and the vending machines and 7-11 runs can be tempting. I had to start bringing lunch and stop bringing money to school with me. And then, my other job as a homemaker, that can be rough because sometimes I get bored stiff and just want to eat everything!!
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Actually I have been there and swear working from home was terrible for weight loss. You dont have to get dressed and the kitchen is right next to you. For me the 2 years I spent working from home were 2 yrs gaining weight.
  • peasantgirly
    Options

Well, that could be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you can fix a healthy snack whenever you want. OTOH, you can fix a really bad snack whenever you want! :laugh:
    I work at a cereal production plant in the area that taste tests the cereal every two hours! So on work days I literally have to add that to my food diary. It's not so bad when we make bran flakes or something but when we produce all those kid cereals..oh man...especially on night shift. I struggle sometimes :)

OMG, that's awful! You don't even have a choice?! That really stinks! :noway:
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Nope. I'm on my feet 10 hours a day at a warehouse lifting packages. It actually aids in my weight loss, even though I'm tired by the end of the day. I had a desk job before this one and yes, it was hard. They always bringing bad food, some people putting it on my desk! Noooooo, I don't want it. D:
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I work at a blood bank as a mobile phlebotomist. My hours are different every single day, which of course makes a routine impossible. Some days, we'll work 6 hours, some days we work 14 hours. It all depends on where the blood drives take us. Now that I've worked there a year, I can keep track of which places have facilities for us to eat in or use microwaves, or have a good place for us to store a cold lunch. It has been quite a challenge! I had lost almost 30 pounds before I started at this job, and since then, I gained 8 back. I'm getting back on track now, but it's hard after a 12 hour day not to crave something cheap, fast and easy, which doesn't usually translate into healthy!
  • KatherineSara
    Options
    Yes i can feel your pain as i work in the food sevice at a local school. So as you see I have to taste alot of foos to make sure it is ok for the kids...but i am learning to just take small samples...:smile: